PDA

View Full Version : Sound set trigger patterns functionality question.

Zhakathoom
December 5th, 2023, 21:09
Hello.

I am trying to set up specific sounds to play on a hit, miss, crit etc in FG. I am on Starfinder ruleset with Syrinscape and would like to set it up so that the sound matches the attack: Meaning a laser rifle hit should sound wastly different to a battle hammer hit.

I have managed to get a generic «Hit»(or miss or whatever) trigger to work with an array of sounds, but only if I leave a blank pattern. Without any pattern no sound is fired.
I have also managed to set up a specific trigger with for example «Coil Rifle, Presicion» as the pattern to fire a specific rifle shot sound. But if I add another weapon, say «Plasma Guide, Series-21» to the pattern on the trigger I get nothing. Having only the pattern «Plasma Guide, Series-21» fires the sound just fine. Then adding «hit» as a pattern still makes the sound fire on a hit.

So, as I understand it, patterns are solely «And» based? Or are there a way to make it have an «Or» functionality so that I could set up a soundset trigger pattern that plays a kinetic/analogue rifle sound on a given array of conventional rifles, and another soundset for say energy based rifles?

Hopefully the question makes sense. Thanks for any insight.

Zacchaeus
December 5th, 2023, 22:28
See the wiki here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2078932993/Using+Sound+Links#Creating-Sound-Sets-Manually

Each different weapon can have a separate trigger for hit. You can’t as far as I know set up a sound to play given several triggers. But each ruleset is different on what is sent to the chat.

Zhakathoom
December 5th, 2023, 23:26
See the wiki here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2078932993/Using+Sound+Links#Creating-Sound-Sets-Manually

Each different weapon can have a separate trigger for hit. You can’t as far as I know set up a sound to play given several triggers. But each ruleset is different on what is sent to the chat.

Thank you for your reply. First off I have read the wiki, but that did not aid me in understanding my particular issue (which may be founded on my misconception of the intended functionality).

I understand that I can have separate soundsets for each individual weapon, but that would mean I would have to make a lot of soundsets; one for each weapon. And Starfinder has a LOT of different weapons, types and iterations of these.

The way I assumed, or hoped, it worked (for the triggered soundsets) was that I create a soundset and give it a name, like «Rifle attacks». Then add sounds to it, like «rifle shot sound 1» and «rifle shot sound 2» (which plays randomly (and this works btw)). And then you can add triggers, like «hit» or «miss» (also works - IF I create an empty pattern (for generic) or if I create ONE singular weapon specific pattern). And then I assumed that you would add patterns or conditions to further refine the hit-trigger. Such as «name of weapon one» and «name of weapon 2», and not include «name of weapon 3» since that has a different sound and is included in another soundset, but that does not work.

I probably can not word what I am meaning very well, but I will try in another way: for the pattern section in a sound set, the bit under «trigger/hit» and above «sound»; can you include more than one condition/pattern there in a «or» function? Or does it have to be a chaining «and» sequence like in the example in the wiki? Could you for instance have «sad trombone» play both when the condition «unconcious» OR the condition «paralyzed» occurred, or do you have to make one set for each condition with the same sound.

I am sorry I have difficulty explaining my issue.

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2023, 12:31
No, you explained your situation perfectly and my answer was no you can't set up a trigger which is triggered by multiple weapons. The triggers follow what is posted in chat specifically; so if you set up something which played a sound on a hit with a plasma rifle and a laser rifle then, in order for that sound to play, you would need to have fired both at the same time - which isn't obviously possible. So you will need to either have a general hit trigger or if you want different sounds to play then you'll need a sound for each weapon.

LordEntrails
December 6th, 2023, 15:12
Note, you can create one or two triggers, then export them. Then using scripting or a spreadsheet or even copy/replace in a text editor (such as Notepad++) you can then quickly create your dozens or hundreds of sound triggers. Then assuming you put it together in the same format as the export, you can then import them.

Nylanfs
December 6th, 2023, 17:57
Huh, One could setup sound triggers for different roll outcomes, ie =2 triggers sound 2, =4 triggers sound 3, etc. Seems kinda laborious but could be done.

Griogre
December 6th, 2023, 18:28
If you know how to use Lua regular expressions you can use them on chat triggers. That said I don't know anything about the Starfinder weapon outputs to chat so I have no idea how difficult it would be. Regular expressions are pretty much a programming language in their own right, though there are a number of web sites that can product basic regular expressions.

The primary usage here would be to avoid a one to one requirement for each weapon having a sound trigger. If you are not already familiar with them and there are less than a few hundred weapons it would likely be easier to do the one for one using a tool like Lord Entrails said.

Zhakathoom
December 6th, 2023, 22:49
No, you explained your situation perfectly and my answer was no you can't set up a trigger which is triggered by multiple weapons. The triggers follow what is posted in chat specifically; so if you set up something which played a sound on a hit with a plasma rifle and a laser rifle then, in order for that sound to play, you would need to have fired both at the same time - which isn't obviously possible. So you will need to either have a general hit trigger or if you want different sounds to play then you'll need a sound for each weapon.

Ah, yes; re-reading your post I now see what you said. Thanks for clarifying. Still strange to me that is not a standard feature of the automated trigger patterns though; to be able for multiple conditions fire off a given soundset.

Zhakathoom
December 6th, 2023, 22:57
Note, you can create one or two triggers, then export them. Then using scripting or a spreadsheet or even copy/replace in a text editor (such as Notepad++) you can then quickly create your dozens or hundreds of sound triggers. Then assuming you put it together in the same format as the export, you can then import them.

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a great solution to my problem, if any of the steps made any sense to me.. I feel so hopelessly dumb. If I export a soundset that i made with syrinscape sounds from within a custom module it exports as a .mod file which reads like gibberish in any editor.

Is there a source of information available that i can use to learn more about this? I have tried to search but its very hard to find the specific thing I need.

johnecc
December 7th, 2023, 01:02
A .mod file is merely a zip file. If you rename the file to filename.zip, you can then extract it and read the xml files.

Zhakathoom
December 7th, 2023, 05:48
A .mod file is merely a zip file. If you rename the file to filename.zip, you can then extract it and read the xml files.

Fantastic! I will definitely check that out. Thank you.