PDA

View Full Version : Large Encounters

lousilver
November 25th, 2023, 20:14
Hi,

My question is to ask how other GMS handle large encounters, and whether that changes when you're using a VTT.

I'm at the tail end of a large project converting 2E adventures to 5E, over 800 pages. In several instances the PCs must, in a single long rest, infiltrate a place occupied by many NPCs, achieve the objective and get out. I have prepared in advance both individual and mob style encounters. Two groups are running through the campaign.

In the one instance (actually the second) it was 80 lizardfolk with a dozen or more giant lizards, followed by a tower filled with more (a pair of leaders, a pair of giant lizards, a shaman, and common lizardfolk, with terrain advantage). Both groups essentially start mass combat right off the bat. For the first group I used individual NPCs, and as i didn't want 80 NPCs all going at once, i used individual initiative. But then i'm bouncing all over the map, and still going through 80 NPCs as quickly and efficiently as I can in each round. But, the combat (to me) felt better, as well be explained via the second group, which I used the mobs. Each mob represented 10 individuals for total HP, and I used the DMG rules for mob combat, calculating the damage they'd inflict on each PC in advance. It had it's own issues, where a single melee hit could cross "multiple" NPCs (rather than be limited to their individual max HP), AOE spells were clunkier (for example, there's no way to track a bunch of NPCs reduce to 5 hp, rather than merely reducing the mob total hp and claiming most as dead). I didn't like it.

The other instance was a structure housing 200 soldiers, 50 knights, plus a boss encounter, with the primary mission to free a prisoner, but everyone wants to wipe the garrison because they NPCs a recurring evil that they hate. In both cases the PCs sneak deep into the structure, one one group initiating non-discreet very loud combat with the rather tough boss encounter in front, and 250 troops between them and the exit descending on them. The other group just gets dead-center completely surrounded with multiple avenues of attack against them in every direction and initiate wholesale slaughter (they were only saved by hurling bottled fiends behind enemy lines that the soldiers had no way of hurting, that the PCs themselves could barely deal with once they fiends eventually turned on them, but they're nearly out of such bottles).

In both scenarios, the players knew very well what they were up against. Perhaps assuming that the GM would not give them so many to kill with no chance of survival, neglecting the concept of a stealth mission. And now I'm working on a module that involves infiltrating a mobile castle to steal something, where even at T4 level is a suicide mission for a full on assault similar to above (thousands of higher CR fiends).

In each scenario there are plenty of ways and opportunities to sneak in and sneak out, or to tactically engage the enemy through pinch points, etc. Instead, in every case, either through role play, bad luck or bad choices, they trigger mass combat in a single encounter in an open nearly indefensible space against the entire garrison.

And in future scenario the stakes are even higher where, at least in theory, full-frontal assaults are suicidal. Sometimes they have clever plans that pull a well-deserved hail mary. But what happens if their plan goes south? So GMs, how do you handle these scenarios? Is the simple answer, be willing to let them die? Each group has been in this campaign for 1-2 years, with another year+ of content. Some kind of intervention that lets them walk away, but the mission is a failure? Like how chances should they get before the entire nine hells and azmodeus himself comes down on the PCs? (like i said, the prize they're after is high stakes. It's one thing for a tactical strike, but it's another for 4-6 PCs in a prolonged siege in the lower layers of Baator).

SilentRuin
November 25th, 2023, 20:44
I handle large encounters with a series of extensions in order to insure players ONLY see the PCs and NPCs they own and control using the map and what they see with lighting and LOS to target anything. I also insure the host has the ability to set up things in the CT where only certain groups are shown at any time (hosts control) and even limiting the host to only seeing the active CT and its targets when desired. When my players control large groups I usually have them controlling them with different sub groups each managed by a separate PC (don't worry about how I'm just saying that's how I do it in extension land).

How to do this all in FGU raw? Very carefully.

I think you would have to create numerous small encounters and insure your map only has a max of 10-20 tokens with vision of eachother at any time - which can be done with walls or limited vision etc. You will also have to manage these things by removing and adding in encounters as they move through your map which can be extremely tedious. FGU is just not designed to handle large encounters IMHO - but if you work at it and limit number of things in sight of eachother at any one time I suppose you could do it. You also have to be VERY careful on how many things you and/or your players control as it can make the game very long and tedious between turns if your not careful.

I do it my own way - which is very risky and I'd not recommend as EXTENSIONS = RISK!

Here is my largest live game I played out yet. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?76823-Sw5e&p=681754&viewfull=1#post681754)

Keep in mind that is with extensions which I don't recommend as its risky business. For raw FGU you want to try to follow what I told you and limit how many things can see eachother at the same time - usually by encounters. But its a pain and why I wrote myself ways to do it for myself.

SilentRuin
November 25th, 2023, 20:57
Also you could make single specialized NPC token CT entries that represent groups of things and play it out like that.

LordEntrails
November 25th, 2023, 21:19
I've run multiple large encounters. An orc tribe attacking a village, the players assaulting a castle, the party passing over a kruthik hive and being attacked (effectively endless NPCs until the party figured out how to stop them from more coming), etc.

In all of them I have used a few techniques. First, I use multiple encounters and do not put all the NPCs on the combat tracker or map at once. I keep it to somewhere around 50 NPCs. Second, I use center on turn option so the map centers on the active NPC to make it easier for me to find. Third, by placing the encounters on the maps via pins, I can move them about so that I can keep track of their location without performance issues.

As for the questions near the end... what happens when their plans turn south? Or when mass combat erupts?
Sure, if the players are stupid I let them die. But they generally have to make multiple bad decisions. The first time they assaulted the castle they got their butts kicked, and had to retreat, dragging their unconscious friends with them and come up with a new plan. Retreat is usually possible; because I don't want to kill them if they are doing smart things, and two because the enemy usually don't want to follow them into what might be a trap, and third, following the party means they are no longer on their own turf.

Intervention? No, I never do that unless it was planned before hand. I don't save them, and I don't want them to think I ever will. It cheapens their victories if they don't feel they won it on their own. No participation trophies at my table. Failure, even a TPK, can just be a turn in the story the party creates. A reason for their heirs to seek justice. It can elevate a minor NPC who defeats them into a campaign nemesis. For me, the story isn't written until the campaign is over. Neither myself or the players know where it will go when we start.

lousilver
November 25th, 2023, 23:26
I've run multiple large encounters. An orc tribe attacking a village, the players assaulting a castle, the party passing over a kruthik hive and being attacked (effectively endless NPCs until the party figured out how to stop them from more coming), etc.

Thanks for this post, it helps validate a lot for me: premade encounters set up at specific locations, etc. (everything you describe in the second paragraph). The challenge comes when plans go awry and mass combat erupts (or that was their intention!). The scenario with 250 troops it was possible to trickle in squads as they arrived from different parts of the complex - even then it was stressful, I was sure I would have to TPK (they had a last second hairbrained scheme I rolled with, and the other group figured out the secret that triggered a mass evacuation of the structure). But the other was a rather large "courtyard" with all 80+ NPCs present or in adjacent buildings; and it was a pocket realm in the ethereal and the PCs didn't yet know the way out. But I did very much prefer the individual NPCs in the tracker than the mob approach - just tedious when the number hits/exceeds 100. A future scenario I've setup "battle scenes" reflecting battle objectives while describing the larger conflict raging on around them as they progress through it. But the mobile castle with thousands of high CR devils, that one makes me nervous (if it goes awry).

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to toughen up and be prepared to kill. I had one player with a 3rd-level PC who tried to openly face-face blackmail Estavan of the Planar Trade Consortium (an ageless ogre mage, and a merchant/criminal mastermind with more wealth than entire prime worlds). After offering a half dozen "outs", failed (high DC) skill checks, associates killed as a warning, etc., the PC was eventually assassinated. And the player was stunned and disgusted at the otherwise predictable outcome - just a negative experience all around. And I'm a little squeamish to TPK PCs that have been running for 1-2 years. But i guess that's something I'll have to get over, if and when necessary.

lousilver
November 25th, 2023, 23:35
When my players control large groups I usually have them controlling them with different sub groups each managed by a separate PC (don't worry about how I'm just saying that's how I do it in extension land).

I've used MCDM's warfare rules quite successfully for when players are controlling entire units. There's a nice module for FGU, and these types of maps are extremely easy to make in dungeondraft. I'm not sure how well that would transfer to your sci-fi setting though, but I'm sure it could work. But my question is when it's just the PCs against hundreds or even thousands of NPCs in a single adventuring day.

Also you could make single specialized NPC token CT entries that represent groups of things and play it out like that.

As I mentioned, I tried this. I don't like it very much - the DMG mob rules for auto-damage works quite well and speeds things up a lot, but the mob approach doesn't work very well for tracking NPC health.

The challenge is, what do you do when things go south and narratively there's no reason to limit things to 10-20 NPCs on the map at a time. But LordEntrails i think had a pretty good overall answer.

LordEntrails
November 25th, 2023, 23:44
Make sure at Session 0 or out of character you have a discussion with the players and make sure they have the same expectations as you.

My players and I have had that conversation; that the fantasy world is a rough place, and when they are low level their are thousands of ways for them to die. They are not (yet) the invincible heroes that they might become.

But, maybe that is not the game your players want to play. And that is ok. So maybe instead of killing them, the party is knocked unconscious or captured. Maybe they are left by the side of the road naked. Or captured and they have to escape. Or the BBEG has put a geas on them that they have to do something for the BBEG that they don't want to do (kidnap children, rob a charity, do something evil) and will put the story on an arc of redemption.

Remember in 5E it's pretty easy to revive a body that is only dead for 1 hour. Or to stabilize an unconscious PC.

estrolof
December 2nd, 2023, 06:12
I've also made use of the Polymorphism extension (as SilentRuin says, extensions = risk (i.e., their own headaches sometimes))..

What I do is make a mob/swarm to represent a larger group of lesser threats. As the hit points lessen, I use Polymorphism to swap to a smaller/weaker version until the group of NPCs is either broken (running way) or it's down to the smallest single individual (e.g., a horde -> a mob -> a swarm -> a zombie).