PDA

View Full Version : v3.5 D&D upgraded ruleset (v1.1)

Moon Wizard
February 20th, 2008, 23:01
Here is another revision of my upgraded d20 ruleset for v3.5 D&D. Within the ZIP file is a readme file, which contains a list of the changes and installation instructions.

Download here (https://www.johnandjenn.org/docs/fg2_d20_jpg_v1_1.zip)

I've been re-using graphics for different buttons, so if there are any graphics people out there that want to make some new buttons for the new features (client tracker, options dialog), I would appreciate the help.

A quick summary of the major changes:
* Added options dialog to upper right shortcut menu. Now, you can change all the options by just clicking.
* Added option to show character name, instead of identity name, when rolling from a character sheet
* Initiative rolls from a character sheet will automatically update the combat tracker.
* Attack and save rolls from a character sheet will call out automatic successes and failures, as well as roll confirmation rolls for critical threats.
* ...and more

Cheers,
JPG

Destan
February 21st, 2008, 01:22
JPG -

Do you know how/if this is compatible with your previous ruleset? (I know you mentioned backward-compatibility with the base d20 ruleset.)

My players and I are using (and enjoying!) your previous version, and I want to avoid requiring them to re-enter their characters or for me to re-do all the graphics changes. If possible.

Thanks for your work, regardless!

D

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2008, 04:56
Yes, it is backward compatible. I try not to make any changes which are not backwards compatible.

Cheers,
JPG

Tristram
February 21st, 2008, 06:54
This is an impressive amount of work! My only question is how hard would it be to add all these modifications to the new Modern ruleset from DA? Modern d20 with these changes would leave me with only the wish for a light source/special vision mod to map masking. All that aside, Thank you.

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2008, 19:12
It would be a fair amount of work to add the code to the d20 Modern ruleset, but much easier than the original since you can cut and paste a lot of the code.

I think anyone making the changes would have to get permission from DA before they could re-publish any of the DA rulesets with modifications. So, I would suggest asking them first.

Cheers,
JPG

jthm0138
February 21st, 2008, 19:35
Edited since my advice is not wanted by the community at large.

joshuha
February 21st, 2008, 20:10
Actually the ruleset by DA contains artwork and code not covered in the OGL. Remember the OGL applies to the OGL content which would be the SRD, character sheet stat blocks, etc. It does not apply to custom code, artwork, or the package as a whole.

I would advise you to consult with Kevin at Digital Adventures if you want to talk about ruleset modifications and distribution.

Tristram
February 21st, 2008, 22:34
I was only asking how hard it might be to add these options to the Modern ruleset for my own use. No distribution. And I would do this on my own since having someone else do it and give it to me sounds like distibution. I just wanted to get an idea of how involved this might be before I start. I would not want infringe on DA's work at all. I highly recommend their Modern Ruleset to anyone interested in non-D&D d20. The Urban Arcana and Future rules are great.

jthm0138
February 21st, 2008, 22:40

joshuha
February 21st, 2008, 23:25
Also, I do like many of these above customization and have had my own versions in my own ruleset for awhile.

We are in the planning stages of making these easier to integrate with existing rulesets without having to replace large sections of code manually (i.e. through the interface). Some of these ideas have also been in the wishlist thread for awhile and are slated to make it into the base d20 ruleset although they may functional differently than how JPG went about it.

Thore_Ironrock
February 21st, 2008, 23:26
Actually the ruleset by DA contains artwork and code not covered in the OGL. Remember the OGL applies to the OGL content which would be the SRD, character sheet stat blocks, etc. It does not apply to custom code, artwork, or the package as a whole.

I would advise you to consult with Kevin at Digital Adventures if you want to talk about ruleset modifications and distribution.

Josh is correct (thank you sir). The content of the product falls under the OGL license, but the presentation belongs to Digital Adventures. As with anything FG you can modify things for personal use only; if you up any part of any Digital Adventures product up for public download, in whole or modified from, that would be a copyright violation and would have to get legally involved. I would appreciate if the FG community did not do this, or at least check with me first to see if it is OK since I really hate to get lawyers involved. The firm of Kneesmash, Kidneypunch, & Hematoma recently raised their hourly rates, so if I have to hire them I'll be making sure to get my money's worth. ;)

joshuha
February 21st, 2008, 23:39
* Attack and save rolls from a character sheet will call out automatic successes and failures, as well as roll confirmation rolls for critical threats.

Also while you don't have to worry about this as long as you aren't using the d20 system trademark (which is part of the original d20 ruleset and Fantasy Grounds), these kind of things are generally something SmiteWorks has to avoid. They do violate the interactive game portion of the d20 system license.

smfink
February 24th, 2008, 00:20
How do I create a character for the ruleset the GM is running? For example, the GM of the campaign I'm joining is using the D&D 3rd Edition Rules and when I open my FGII program it asks what ruleset I wish to manage characters for and the only option is d20. Do I need to download something else??

Illrigger
February 24th, 2008, 08:32
You connect to your GM's session across the network, and create your character after. Your client will download the relevant ruleset from your GM, and your character will be stored on your GM's computer.

jthm0138
February 26th, 2008, 04:49

chubinator
February 27th, 2008, 05:54
All I can say is you are the man--this rules. What a time saver. My players will see this for the first time Saturday, I can't wait to see their reactions.

Thanks for all the hard work!

takhomasac
February 27th, 2008, 14:46
Thank you for sharing this JPG. Both my players and I think your modifications are awesome. I am still using v1.0, but intend to update as soon as possible.

I am still new to Fantasy Grounds though, and while I am a fast learner, it is still difficult for me (I have no programming background) to trouble-shoot the cause of errors. One my players and I have encountered with the client-side combat tracker occurs when the host does a “full clear” of his/her tracker. After a full clear, the host tracker operates normally, but the client-side tracker seems to give up and no longer updates information. Is there another modification I have to enact that I simply wasn’t aware of?

There very may well be some steps that I missed. Like I said, I’m brand new to FG, and do not know very much about using modified rulesets (or even custom modules). Any clues as to what might be going wrong would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
-JJG

PS. I thought about signing with my name, Jeff, but I realized that I don’t know what the J in your initials stands for (JPG). I didn’t want to make it seem like I was usurping your name in the event that it was Jeff G.

Moon Wizard
February 27th, 2008, 17:42
Thanks everyone for the feedback. You can also reach me through a private message to discuss additions, bugs, etc. I have been talking to others already.

The ruleset additions that I am making are completely independent, and open to anyone to use. I plan to continue developing the ruleset, so let me know what you are up to if you are considering adding more functionality.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
February 27th, 2008, 17:44
On the client combat tracker issue, please let me know how you did the "full clear" of the host combat tracker, so I can attempt to re-create on my machine and debug.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
February 27th, 2008, 17:56
Someone has asked me about what my ongoing plans are for this ruleset. My additions are mostly driven by what I think will make my personal games run better, as well as taking into consideration feedback from the community.

If you're interested, here's my running list. I'm not sure if these are even possible, but they are features I want to look into doing.

* PCGen output sheet upgrades (spells for non-base classes, class skill flags set, class sub-labels done correctly)
* Remember which windows are open between sessions
* Remember zoom and view position on image windows
* Button to reset cast spells
* Button to reset initiative
* More spell automation (roll saves, apply effects/damage)
* More combat automation (AC comparison, DR apply)
* Ability to apply conditions/effects that impact rolls to a PC/NPC

Some others I've seen people ask for that sound do-able, and interesting.

* Player-to-player whisper (with GM review)
* Encounter load/save/clear (for combat tracker)
* NPC spell tracking

Also, here are some items I have tried that may need additional functionality from FG.

* Resizable chat window
* Remember main window size and location
* Display dice roll totals in the chat window dice control
* Better targeting (ability to pull list of targets from a combat tracker entry, dialog box to specify particular target for a roll)
* Automatic importing of PCGen output files (currently have to cut and paste into db.xml)

Cheers,
JPG

Ghost_dk
March 1st, 2008, 16:01
Thanks for the great mod. My players are really enjoying this.

A few things I would like to see in connection to your mod.

Feats: Being able to pull over feats from the database to the character sheet, like it can be done for spells and with an additional pop-up field so the feat description can be pulled up directly from the feats page of the character sheet like with spells.

Classes: The possiblity of more then 3 character classes on the character sheet as these can easily be expended by a high level character.

Spell lists: The ablility to set wether a spell list/level should be displayed for non-caster classes.

Equipment: A equipment list from which you can drag directly into the inventory sheet with weight included. Same for weapons to the combat sheet or combat tracker entry for a npc

just a few thoughts Id hope you would consider as my coding skills are highly lacking to be able to pull off something like it myself :)

Cheers

jasonisop
March 10th, 2008, 06:36
I have a few things id like added.
Players with 2 or more characters getting to vote for each.
Hiding dice rolls from players (when needed)
notes just like the players get ( i do not like having to use the story section to remember things)

Moon Wizard
March 11th, 2008, 20:23
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

A couple questions on the suggestions:
* [jasonisop] How do you do voting in FG2? (I've never used.)
* [ghost_dk] Are you referring to the class name and list of zeroes for every class on the spell page? If you could hide, where would you set the option to show/hide the class spell entries?

And a couple comments:
* GM dice and results can be hidden and shown using the "/die hide" and "/die reveal" commands

jasonisop
March 11th, 2008, 20:38
the command is /vote "what your voting on"
i would like it to hide the players die from them say on a search check so they dont know if they auto fail or pass.

Malovech
March 11th, 2008, 21:24
there is a mod out their called "the box" that already does this. If you do a search on the forums you can probably find it. It was part of the WHFRP ruleset and is really easy to add to any existing ruleset.

joshuha
March 11th, 2008, 21:36
Another mod I was thinking about that makes more sense. Why not have a button on the GM side that just rolls a bunch of hidden rolls but adds the appropiate player mods in? So a button that says Roll party spot checks and it searches each characters spot and spits out the results as hidden rolls labeled for each player but only to the GM.

I could probably whip up something like that in a few days as I have other coding things I am working on now but I am sure others on the forums could make something like that easily.

Moon Wizard
March 12th, 2008, 02:23
Yeah, definitely. I just worked on an option to clear and roll initiatives in the combat tracker. To simplify things, I just rolled random in the code instead of rolling dice.

I would just need to change the code around to iterate through the user identity list at the top, and spit out the results in the chat window. Now the question is where to put the button, maybe a tools window like SW ruleset...

Cheers,
JPG

jasonisop
March 12th, 2008, 05:05
also i don't know if any ones asked for it, but something to "lock" the initiative and hp on the tracker. when there is a big list and you go to scroll using the mouse wheel you can really mess up your initiative order. some kind of lock unlock button would be nice to save those numbers from getting out of whack. thanks for listening to our input.

chubinator
March 16th, 2008, 00:21
Wow, this really made for some smooth game play during our last session, many thanks.

One item we did find was that when rolling saving throws off the combat mini, all the saving throws get the Fortitude bonus applied, regardless of which you click.

Otherwise, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks again.

Merakon
March 18th, 2008, 00:55
Thank you moon_wizard for the excellent mod. I kicked off a campaign last night using this and it worked well. As a DM, I love the auto-initiative rolling, randomized HPs, and being able to make unknown rolls based on PC's skills with ease.

One thing that did not seem to work for us was the client tracker. Most times, the players reported that it was empty. How is this supposed to work, is there something I have to do to activate it for them? I noticed the "Show NPC" checkbox on the combat tracker, and during testing, they did see an NPC that I checked. But during the actual game, they never saw any entries.

Malovech
March 18th, 2008, 21:32
Nice work moon_wizard! Any chance you might like to break out some of the items separately so that they could be used for other rulesets (i.e. the initiative and NPC naming code)?

:)

heliopolix
March 22nd, 2008, 13:01
One of the players in my group is having a slight problem with the ruleset.

We have all acquired your ruleset from the link in the OP, and installed it per instruction.

One of the guys has a Lite version of FG, and can't get the ruleset to work in Local mode. The exact error given is "Could not load ruleset rule file base.xml."

After some forum searching, I discovered other people having a similar problem, but in thier case, with the default d20 ruleset. My friend is able to access the default d20 ruleset in local mode without any problem, however.

He has uninstalled FG several times, including scrubbing the registry, but to no avail. Every attempt to access d20_JPG in Local mode has failed.

I begin to suspect that this is a limitation of the Lite version, but have not been able to find the official distinction (I was under the impression the only difference was clients are not able to GM). As I have only used the Full version since FG was released, and all my efforts to resolve the issue stymied, I think it is my lack of experience with the Lite version that is has doomed me.

I'd be grateful for any insight.
Jeff

Oberoten
March 22nd, 2008, 13:08
The lite version can not host nor use localized rulesets. It is as you expect a limitation in the current version of the software.

Possibly it might work if you make a Pak file out of it and point to it in the registry.

heliopolix
March 22nd, 2008, 13:30
Thanks for the clarification. With a bit of bashing, works now.

Moon Wizard
March 23rd, 2008, 22:32
Please check out the new thread for next version of this ruleset.

JPG