PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset Image template

devinnight
February 19th, 2008, 16:48
Has anyone made a Photoshop template for making rulesets with slices already in place to pick up the various parts that make up the ruleset?

If so would you like to share them? You can make the template blank of course.

Thanks.

-Devin

Foen
February 19th, 2008, 18:26
Hmm, not sure I understand the question. Unlike FG1, FG2 renders the ruleset pages from individual component controls, so there is no single graphic file which forms the background.

If I'm way-off your question, perhaps you could clarify it a bit?

Cheers

Stuart

joshuha
February 19th, 2008, 18:34
I believe he is reffering to example to a blank radial template, a blank tab template, etc. so if you wanted to do a total reskin you wouldn't have to recreate everything from scratch.

devinnight
February 19th, 2008, 19:37
Yeah, Joshuha has the right idea.
I would assume that someone would have a template file that could be used to reskin FG by dropping in new art pieces. In photoshop you can set up your slices in the file, so that new art would have the exact same dimensions as the previous ones.

Of course it's possible that people just overwrite the existing pieces on a piece for piece basis.

-D

jthm0138
February 19th, 2008, 19:37
Post removed by user

devinnight
February 19th, 2008, 19:40
Thanks for the offer. I will probably just rip into it, if it ends up that my idea of a template works I will share it with everybody.

Thanks again.
-D

Toadwart
February 19th, 2008, 21:23
Isn't it better to have a lot of little image files than one big one?
If you made one tiny little change to that big image then the whole file would be re-sent to each client when they next connected...

re-read your original post and understand it now. You are talking about a photoshop template to assist with creating images to be used in a ruleset ...
Can't help there as I'm 'artistically-challenged'

kalmarjan
February 19th, 2008, 23:43
Two words:

Layer comps.

Incidently, if you are speaking of just adding the images together for a big huge file, you can easily do that via the scripts dialogue in cs3.

As for templated files, you may want to look into if there is someone willing to do the vector work for you... because believe me, it is a HELL of a lot of work. There are over 99 different radial icons... then you have buttons, indicators... etc.

Hope that helps.

Sandeman

devinnight
February 20th, 2008, 02:07
Thanks.
I'm not sure I need as many options/buttons for what I'm doing.

When you say vector work are you talking vector illustrations/icons?
I can do those.

-D

kalmarjan
February 20th, 2008, 03:47
I misunderstood what you were saying. I have all of the icons from FG ripped into a huge PSD file with each icon represented by a vector path (gotta love illustrator). This way, if I want to change up the radial icons, it is a matter of making my changes, saving it out as a layer style, and applying that across the board. Keeping the base background the same, I set up layer comps and run a script that rips out each comp as a separate png file. Then it is a matter of adjusting the file sizes with png crush, and going from there.

Now, the problem with slices is that really, they are set up for html work, not really for the format that FG demands. So you can slice the image up, but is that going to help you when you are trying to figure out the dimensions of the graphics you are changing? I find it easier to set up guides and save out selections for each section, then referring to the info tab to get my coordinates.

You may find it easier that way, YMMV.

Sandeman

devinnight
February 20th, 2008, 04:21
Perfect Kal, that was the info I was looking for.
I have a feeling that this will be more work then it at first seemed to be.

I would not be surprised if you didn't want to share your PS file as I imagine it was quite a bit of work, but that it also gives you an edge. Which once again is completely understandable. I've never posted all my token templates online either.

Regardless the info was invaluable, thank you.
-Devin