PDA

View Full Version : High cpu usage without reason

svecv1
February 19th, 2008, 16:09
Hallo,

when I open specific windows and tabs, FG2 using a lot of CPU even if I don't do anything.

I tested it on three PC, with the same result.

About the image.

I created new campaign with standard ruleset. Next steps was New "Personalities". When I switched to "Other" tab, everything was fine, cpu had nothing to do. When I clicked on "Combat" or "Main" tab, CPU went to 40% without reason, i did nothing. Then I clicked "Other" tab, CPU graph immediately went down.

Because of this, when I use FG for normal play, the fan noises is terrible (cooling).

So, the question is, why 40% CPU, when I do nothing. Why on one tab is CPU almost zero and on second tab so high?

https://www.d20.cz/temp/cpu.jpg

Dachannien
February 19th, 2008, 19:22
High CPU utilization also occurs if you cover up certain parts of the Fantasy Grounds window with other applications. This was reported a long time ago but was never explained or fixed.

joshuha
February 19th, 2008, 19:42
High CPU utilization also occurs if you cover up certain parts of the Fantasy Grounds window with other applications. This was reported a long time ago but was never explained or fixed.

I believe it had something to do with DirectX and frame buffers but would need a developer to actually chime in on that one.

jthm0138
February 19th, 2008, 19:43
Post removed by user

Griogre
February 19th, 2008, 23:31
DirectX was a way to overcome the general slowness of windows apps. A fair amount of that slowness came from having to listen to make sure some other event wasn't happening (ie multitasking). DirectX cut out a lot of that constant polling for other apps since it was assumed the directX app was the prime focus of the computer when running. Many directX apps are simply not build to multitask well as it contradicts the basic reason for using directX in the first place – i.e. increased performance due to high priority over the computer’s assets.

Note: Not sure you realize that starting the CPU monitor takes usings a bunch of the CPU which is why it is not the most effective way of measuring. You get better readings if you start the monitor first then FG and then after the inital burst of activity noting the changes in usage.

Dachannien
February 20th, 2008, 02:38
I can explain the High CPU usage when you cover parts of the window with other applications. FGII uses direct draw, and due to the way direct draw functions if you load something over the top of a direct draw widow it will send your cpu through the roof as it rerenders those areas.

Interestingly, it was only certain areas of the window where this occurred. I described this in posts #5 and #7 in this thread.