PDA

View Full Version : one of my players can't connect. here are his log files.

bawsr
November 2nd, 2023, 02:21
We have been playing for weeks but this is the first time he had an issue.

Laerun
November 2nd, 2023, 07:48
Have this individual try to log on without the connection history. Double check firewall and antivirus on players side. Ensure password accuracy from player.

Zacchaeus
November 2nd, 2023, 10:08
See these trouble shooting guides https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1981349889/Network+Troubleshooting and https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1303052290/Whitelisting+or+Creating+Exceptions+for+Antivirus+ Applications

Most often it will be anti virus. Sometimes also just rebooting the router may be all that's needed.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2023, 10:15
The error in the logs is related to not having the required version of a Windows library - see this Wiki article on how to download the required version: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1667760130/ONLOAD+System.DllNotFoundException+lua5.1+Error

bawsr
November 2nd, 2023, 15:59
Thanks for the advice. I started with disabling antivirus. I might have him reboot his router. he isn't super technical. I looked at the logs and saw the error about getting the right visual C++ and he tried installing and it said it was already there. I purged his FG directory and reinstalled. I will walk through the steps to make sure he is connecting without history. I will update when we find the root cause.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2023, 16:54
It's the error shown in the log file that's causing the player to not be able to connect. Concentrate on fixing that error. Every time that error has come up before, it's been due to the required C++ library not being installed.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2023, 19:01
Assuming that the player was working OK a few weeks ago on the same computer, then it could be that the pre-requisites may have changed recently - there was an upgrade to the development platform FG uses with the most recent update to v4.4.5. We may need the FG devs to check if the requirements have changed.

Moon Wizard
November 4th, 2023, 03:03
The requirements have not changed. Trenloe's advice in post #4 is the place to start.

Regards,
JPG

bawsr
November 4th, 2023, 19:20
I had started with C++ install when i searched the error. he had tried to apply and said it was already there. I went as far as one of my other players to setup a game (during initial testing) and he couldn't connect to his game either. he had never connected to other players FG before. So I don't think it was connection string.

I am waiting to find some time to test with the user but he is rather busy and generally I only talk to him before the game he plays in.

bawsr
November 4th, 2023, 19:35
okay got his attention...
We tried the VC++ install I tried on my machine also..

He gets this and so do I when attempting to install.
BC8:4A30][2023-11-04T14:29:01]i052: Condition 'VersionNT64 >= v6.0 OR (VersionNT64 = v5.2 AND ServicePackLevel >= 1)' evaluates to true.
[4BC8:4A30][2023-11-04T14:29:01]i199: Detect complete, result: 0x0
[4BC8:23C8][2023-11-04T14:29:14]e000: Error 0x80070666: Cannot install a product when a newer version is installed.

We both have VC++ distribution installed. It just broke he has been playing weekly without issue for many weeks. He said he hasn't been installing or uninstalling anything he can think of.

#update

Current plan is for him to check older laptop to see if it works. Just to rule out environmental issues at his place. unfortunately he couldn't find cable and it died during testing. I will update as soon as I can.

bawsr
November 5th, 2023, 19:15
We have ruled out that it is his Network. he had an older laptop that he had to get setup again and it connected fine.

I am open to any ideas.I did disucss uninstalling vc++ and reinstalling but not sure if there are any other suggestions. If he lived closer than a 1000 miles away. I would just drive over and work on it until I figured it out :)

Trenloe
November 5th, 2023, 19:21
We have ruled out that it is his Network. he had an older laptop that he had to get setup again and it connected fine.
Yeah, that's going to be the case, as the error's occurring before FG actually tries to connect and it's an error we've seen before that isn't related to connectivity.

I am open to any ideas.I did disucss uninstalling vc++ and reinstalling but not sure if there are any other suggestions.
I think that's worth a go. Or, first, try repairing the installation - in Control Panel application list click the three dots to the right of the application (see screenshot below), select Modify and then Repair.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59225