PDA

View Full Version : adding spellcasting to NPCS

hagrid70
October 31st, 2023, 14:14
hello hivemind, i hope the collective is well.
is there some easy way to add "spellcaster lvl 8" "wisdom based"
to an npc so that when you add spells into the npc charcater sheet, FG will pick up where to add stat and dammage bonuses and saves etc?
i hate to ask. but i hope theres a simple fix because i have three hours to get my head round this :P
thank you for your time.

rhagelstrom
October 31st, 2023, 14:41
Atlassian has the documentation
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

Spellcasting

If the NPC can cast spells then you can automate the population of the actual spells into the NPC sheet. Additionally with the correct wording Fantasy Grounds will work out the attacks and spell save DCs where those are present in the spell. The trait for Spellcasting and Innate Spellcasting are given below.

Spellcasting

The [NPC] is a nth-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is [ability]. The [NPC] has the following spells prepared.
Cantrips (at will): <spell name>,<spell name>
1st level (4 slots): <spell name>, <spell name>
2nd level (2 slots): <spell name>, <spell name>

Note: It is important that the wording is exactly as above including the punctuation. All spell names should be in lower case separated by a comma.

Innate Spellcasting

The [NPC]'s spellcasting ability is <ability>. It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: <spell name>, <spell name>
x/Day each: <spell name>, <spell name>
x/Day each: <spell name>, <spell name>

Overriding automatic calculations If you want to override the automatic calculation of spell save DC's and attacks insert the following into the first line of the trait.
The 5e ruleset also supports spellcasting as an action rather than as a trait. Use the following wording in an action to correctly populate the spells for the NPC

Spellcasting

The [NPC] casts one of the following spells, using <ability> as the spellcasting ability (spell save DC x):

At will: <spell name>, <spell name>
x/day each: <spell name>, <spell name>
x/day each:<spell name>, <spell name>

Note: all punctuation is required, and the spells must be laid out exactly as shown. The spell save DC is NOT calculated so the spell save DC is required.

hagrid70
October 31st, 2023, 14:45
firstly thank you so much, secondly: wow what a nightmare of syntax. i will take a run at this and see what i can do :D youre a legend.

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2023, 16:37
The syntax is the wording that WotC uses when they create an NPC. FG uses that so that when WotC publishes a new book, or a third party uses the same human readable format, FG knows what to do with it :)

Trenloe
October 31st, 2023, 16:48
... wow what a nightmare of syntax...
Not really, it's straightforward when looked at in detail:

In your example:

Spellcasting

The [NPC] is a 8th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is wisdom. The [NPC] has the following spells prepared.
Cantrips (at will): <spell name>,<spell name>
1st level (4 slots): <spell name>, <spell name>
2nd level (2 slots): <spell name>, <spell name>

Then list the spell names for each level.