PDA

View Full Version : FGU Class Automated Actions/Effects

Smoosh
October 28th, 2023, 15:17
I've dug around with the search engine trying to find if this has been asked before but to no avail so:

Is there a way to deactivate the automated Actions/Effects on the Action tab for characters?
While it is a nice idea for many users I, personally, am not a fan as it doesn't mesh well with my games.
I run a heavily homebrewed 5E ruleset which I have coded into Fantasy Grounds over many months and this automation means that I will need to continously repeat myself to new players to not use it / delete it all. It would make my life easier if I could just toggle it not to appear.

Many thanks.

rhagelstrom
October 28th, 2023, 15:38
I don't really understand the question. Can you post a screenshot that points out what you are referring to?

Smoosh
October 28th, 2023, 16:11
When making a character and selecting a class the class abilities are automatically placed into the Action tab. It places all the abilites as they are listed in the rulebook.

I am using a set of homebrew rules which changes how these abilities work. So all these abilities are now wrong.

So the above question is can I turn this feature off, so they do not automatically appear?

Jiminimonka
October 28th, 2023, 16:49
When making a character and selecting a class the class abilities are automatically placed into the Action tab. It places all the abilites as they are listed in the rulebook.

I am using a set of homebrew rules which changes how these abilities work. So all these abilities are now wrong.

So the above question is can I turn this feature off, so they do not automatically appear?

The effects do no come into action until added to the Combat Tracker via the little man icon. So they do not turn on automatically. They have to be applied manually.

Smoosh
October 28th, 2023, 17:00
Thanks, I appreciate the answer and understand what you are saying but they are still on the character sheet. The question is:
Can I stop them from appearing on the character sheet?

Jiminimonka
October 28th, 2023, 17:04
Thanks, I appreciate the answer and understand what you are saying but they are still on the character sheet. The question is:
Can I stop them from appearing on the character sheet?

No, you cannot. If you don't want the players to be able to use their class skills, delete them or edit them with your homebrew versions.

Smoosh
October 28th, 2023, 18:28
Okay, thanks very much for the clarification :)

LordEntrails
October 28th, 2023, 18:30
As said, you can not prevent the character sheet from adding them, but if you make completely custom classes, then the actions that get added will be your custom ones. But, you in effect had to reproduce all the classes from the PHB (or other allowed sources) so that only your info is used and the core PHB info (and other sources) are not used. These may mean making/replacing feats and spells etc too.

Smoosh
October 28th, 2023, 19:54
I use the 5e ruleset to tell my campaign which ruleset I'm using. I don't have any other modules open - including any 5e rulebooks. Everything I have, I have handtyped into the system myself. This is becuase my homebrew game has different character levels rather than the standard 1-20 so I needed to change things. I currently have 12 classes available to new level 1 characters, each of which has its own subclasses available from level 1. This is includes all the standard classes for 5e except the rogue.

With regards to the Automatic Action/Effects, any character created that has an abillity from any existing class has the original actions inserted.

For example, I have changed Fighting Style archery to ignore half cover rather than having a +2 bonus to ranged attacks. This is because, in my opinion, the +2 to hit is overpowered and in fantasy grounds it applies to ranged spell attacks too (which it shouldn't).

Any character class that has Fighting Style listed as a class feature automatically recieves 3 fighting styles added to it when it reaches the level it gets fighting style. This occurs whether it is a re-written normal class (Fighter, Ranger, Paladin) or one of my own (Shaman and Sword Mage). It gets archery, defense and duelling as options. The information arrives despite any rewording on the class abililty section, so Archery style specifies +2 to hit with ranged attacks.

I can work around the issue. I just have to make sure I don't have any ability name cross-over. It's a pain that means additional work, hence the query about if I can just toggle it off. I appreciate the time to answer my question, to all those who tried.

LordEntrails
October 28th, 2023, 22:34
Are you using the character wizard or drag and drop? If using the Wizard, then I think the things you are seeing are hard coded and my suggestion won't work. But I think if you use drag and drop my method will work. But, have not test it.

superteddy57
October 28th, 2023, 22:55
Are you using the character wizard or drag and drop? If using the Wizard, then I think the things you are seeing are hard coded and my suggestion won't work. But I think if you use drag and drop my method will work. But, have not test it.

This is normal behavior for both the Character Wizard and drag and drop methods.

LordEntrails
October 29th, 2023, 01:49
Thanks Teddy, good to know.