PDA

View Full Version : campaign open 24 hours without needing to be on a machine

Maralto
October 27th, 2023, 21:39
Is it possible to leave a campaign open 24 hours without needing to be on a machine? for example, hosted on some website or cloud service.

I have a D&D 5e campaign and I wanted to leave the campaign open for my players to check their sheets and modify without me having to open it all the time.

LordEntrails
October 27th, 2023, 21:41
Yes, but a hosted server is still a machine.
There is a thread around here about someone hosting via AWS web service, but comments say this gets fairly expensive to leave it up 24/7.
And it's something you have to administer yourself, there is no service to do it for you (to admin FG, not the server itself).

anstett
October 30th, 2023, 23:03
I leave my FG up and running for my players to log in 24/7 just for this reason. Of course with a password.

I find that Unity likes to be restarted every few days or so or my machine slows down. That and Discord do consume the vast majority of the machine resources.

Morenu
October 31st, 2023, 01:06
My DM will leave ours up for days as well. I keep my game up but it is just where I work on my PF1e Feat mod so not much loaded. I play a lot of slow, turn based games and I will alt tab over to work in FGU and then back for my turn. doesn't hog too much but a reload every few days is a good idea