PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the new Peek setting?

ddavison
October 26th, 2023, 14:50
Here is the Redbrand Hideout from Lost Mine of Phandelver with a line of sight peek through setting of 0.1 (10% of a grid square).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59153&d=1698328182

LordEntrails
October 26th, 2023, 14:53
Can you upload an image with LOS lines shown? I'd probably really like it, but since I don't know where the elements are...
Also, if its not a performance hit, might consider a grey or sepia effect to the revealed area so it can be distinguished, though I already just draw my lines back so you can see the walls.

Trenloe
October 26th, 2023, 14:54
I love it. That screenshot is a really great example of how much this can improve gameplay!

Trenloe
October 26th, 2023, 15:10
Can you upload an image with LOS lines shown?
This is 0.1 peek on the same map as shown by Doug.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59154

LordEntrails
October 26th, 2023, 15:46
Thanks Trenloe.

Doug, I really like it. A very good improvement. Means that LOS elements can be more 'true' to the wall edge while giving us the visibility that makes the game much more playable. I assume targeting and token visibility is based upon the actual occluder and not the peek?

Temmpest
October 26th, 2023, 16:43
I feel dumb. What are we talking about? What is "peek" setting? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing.

LordEntrails
October 26th, 2023, 16:50
I feel dumb. What are we talking about? What is "peek" setting? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing.
Notice how the visible part of the map is actually on the other side of the wall occluder? That is 10% of the grid size.

pindercarl
October 26th, 2023, 16:52
Thanks Trenloe.

Doug, I really like it. A very good improvement. Means that LOS elements can be more 'true' to the wall edge while giving us the visibility that makes the game much more playable. I assume targeting and token visibility is based upon the actual occluder and not the peek?

No. The peek-thru setting expands the token's LOS, so the expanded LOS is used for token visibility. This is unlikely to have any impact on token visibility unless the peek value is set something like 0.5 or 1 grid square.

LordEntrails
October 26th, 2023, 16:59
No. The peek-thru setting expands the token's LOS, so the expanded LOS is used for token visibility. This is unlikely to have any impact on token visibility unless the peek value is set something like 0.5 or 1 grid square.
Thanks, I just wanted to know. I think I actually prefer it the way you are doing it as it helps eliminate unseen tokens that are 'on-the-line' in certain directions.

Temmpest
October 26th, 2023, 17:03
Ok, I see what you mean. Thank you.

darrenan
October 26th, 2023, 17:11
Is this still in development or in Test or what?

Trenloe
October 26th, 2023, 17:17
Both of the screenshots are from live - see the "Peek" field in the top right of the screenshot in post #4. This thread could be confusing, because it's not one of Doug's sneaky, sneak peeks!

pindercarl
October 26th, 2023, 17:21

It is in the Live version. You can find the setting in the Line of Sight panel (see attached).

JohnD
October 26th, 2023, 17:40
I would say that the majority of time that I've put LoS on a map, I already am taking the 10% setting into account. But that's just me.

Moon Wizard
October 26th, 2023, 17:47
The default for the setting is 0, since maps are generated by a lot of different people with different map styles and different LoS implementation styles.

This setting allows the map maker the ability to set the default setting for a given map/LoS style; and the map user the ability to adjust the peek to map their needs.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
October 26th, 2023, 18:16
I see I can use a negative value - in case I don't like what the LoS dev has added to a map and want to reveal less than they intended. This appears to work. However, the Peek setting shows as a positive value - e.g. I enter -0.2 and this results in less being shown than the original LoS (good, that's what I intended) but the Peek field shows 0.2.

pindercarl
October 26th, 2023, 18:41
I see I can use a negative value - in case I don't like what the LoS dev has added to a map and want to reveal less than they intended. This appears to work. However, the Peek setting shows as a positive value - e.g. I enter -0.2 and this results in less being shown than the original LoS (good, that's what I intended) but the Peek field shows 0.2.

Thanks for the report. This should be fixed in the next release to enable display of negative values.

Trenloe
October 26th, 2023, 19:04
This should be fixed in the next release to enable display of negative values.
Thank you!

dogfisc
October 26th, 2023, 19:54
I’ll have to try it in game, but it looks great. Often my players have difficulty seeing doors because of the way LOS is drawn and this looks (ha, ha) like it will help a lot.

Zacchaeus
October 26th, 2023, 20:56
This is really cool; it was previously only available to the DM I believe and only as a command line. I think the point above about it being completely adjustable (both positive and negative) means that the DM can set the LoS to whatever they want regardless of the way the occluders have been drawn. Early modules had the occluders tight up against the walls so this will allow the walls to be seen - something a lot of people asked for. Additionally since the occluders are now being drawn (at least the way I'm doing it anyway) the occluders are further back allowing the walls to show. If the DM doesn't like that they can make the token see a bit less. All round a significant addition.

Moon Wizard
October 26th, 2023, 23:03
The fix for the negative value display in the image data panel is now Live.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
October 27th, 2023, 07:35
The fix for the negative value display in the image data panel is now Live.

Regards,
JPG
Thank you!

goodmanje
October 27th, 2023, 11:21
I have no idea what is happening here…. I’m dumb.

Trenloe
October 27th, 2023, 11:27
I have no idea what is happening here…. I’m dumb.
Refer to the sceenshot in post #4. Look closely at the LOS lines - there is a small amount of lighter area beyond the LOS lines, which is viewable by the players. Peek through allows the GM to decide how much that viewing extends beyond the LOS. This helps with maps where LOS is immediately on the wall, making it hard for the players to work out what is a wall (or other terrain material) and what might be more of the location. The GM can use the peek through setting to adjust each map to their requirements.

goodmanje
October 27th, 2023, 16:36
Oh, now I see. That’s pretty cool. Thanks!

Tooting Dog
October 28th, 2023, 04:01
Is this why my players could see enemy tokens abutting the other side of a wall? I still cannot upload (insert) images! Grrr.

Tooting Dog
October 28th, 2023, 04:03
Did this upload the images?

LordEntrails
October 28th, 2023, 05:38
Is this why my players could see enemy tokens abutting the other side of a wall? I still cannot upload (insert) images! Grrr.
No, this should not of had that effect. When was the last time you updated? There were some hot fixes in the last days to fix issues like this.

Tooting Dog
October 28th, 2023, 05:53
I was updated just prior to game-time last night (Thursday) 6pm Pacific Time. Player saw that Goblin, targeted him, attacked him, hit him, and damaged him...all while he was on the other side of a wall. Oh, and we noted if you pull the Goblin token away about half-a-square, the players could no longer see him.

Trenloe
October 28th, 2023, 07:57
Is this why my players could see enemy tokens abutting the other side of a wall?
What peek value were you using? According to post #8 it might have an impact...

Tooting Dog
October 28th, 2023, 17:08
I have no clue. I did not know this was a thing until I read this thread last night. I wouldn't even know where the peek value is or how to set it. This probably means that it is set to default.

Tooting Dog
October 28th, 2023, 17:20
I decided to log in and found the setting. My campaign shows a peek value of 0.0.

LordEntrails
October 28th, 2023, 18:23
So then yes, your issue is not related to the peak value. It would be best to start a new thread if you can reproduce with no extensions. Please include the screen shots and the info to reproduce, and if possible the log files too.

pindercarl
October 28th, 2023, 19:56
Did this upload the images?

This is likely a precision issue. The tokens are next to each no other with physical separation, i.e., the barrier is a single line. I'll see if I can recreate locally with the same conditions.

pindercarl
October 30th, 2023, 13:15
I was updated just prior to game-time last night (Thursday) 6pm Pacific Time. Player saw that Goblin, targeted him, attacked him, hit him, and damaged him...all while he was on the other side of a wall. Oh, and we noted if you pull the Goblin token away about half-a-square, the players could no longer see him.

I was able to recreate the issue using the same map setup if the NPC token is scaled up slightly—either using the CTRL+Mouse Wheel or having token scale 80% disabled in the options. Interestingly, you can fix this using a negative peek value. Setting it to -0.1 works, you can try other values.