PDA

View Full Version : Recent update introduces lag correlating with spell list size on action tab

Midge
October 24th, 2023, 05:40
Not sure if this is related to the hotfix pushed on October 18th for FGU or caused by something else more PF2E related, but recently all of our spellcasting players in higher level games have extensive lag based on how many spells are in their actions tab. We disabled all extensions in a fresh campaign and imported the same characters and the lag was just as bad as in the game with multiple extensions enabled. Has anyone else been encountering this issue recently? It starts out as slowness after say 40+ or so spells, and gets drastically worse until it's essentially unplayable the more that are added. I'm okay with having our players pare down their lists but the performance seems much worse than only a week ago.

Attached logs from our test session in-case that helps.

Montis
October 24th, 2023, 08:44
I haven't encountered this as I've been on holidays and haven't played in the last week but I'm wondering if the Turbo (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1125/view) extension would do anything for this.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2023, 10:04
GUI lag has been reported by a few people recently: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?79369-Window-dragging-lag

The turbo extension won't help with GUI lag.

mwfantasygrounds
October 24th, 2023, 14:28
I just experienced this! My poor Dwarf Fighter just got killed in Agents of Edgewatch, and I made both a Wizard and a Cleric to replace him (haven't decided which). However, both the cleric and the wizard have horrendous lag on the action tab. And this is on a custom-build, top of the line, liquid cooled gaming PC.

MaxAstro
October 25th, 2023, 04:58
I've definitely been noticing more GUI lag than usual, yeah.

vonBlashyrkh
October 25th, 2023, 20:52
Also noticed this as of the 18th October update, both on my end as a GM and all players (we're doing Strength of Thousands, so they're all casters)

Xargun
October 26th, 2023, 21:11
Also noticed this as of the 18th October update, both on my end as a GM and all players (we're doing Strength of Thousands, so they're all casters)

I (as the GM) didn't notice, but all my spellcaster players also complained last session about the immense lag on the Actions/Spell tab.

Xargun

Calvertfan
October 29th, 2023, 14:26
I've seen it too with our 11th level Sorcerer, have just cleared and redone all of this spells to see if it helps and we are playing tomorrow night

Trenloe
October 29th, 2023, 14:51
I've seen it too with our 11th level Sorcerer, have just cleared and redone all of this spells to see if it helps and we are playing tomorrow night
This is to do with the base application/platform updates. Hopefully the FG devs will be able to make improvements soon.

Moon Wizard
October 29th, 2023, 16:59
I have been poking at this on and off over the last week as I have time. The only change that I can see is the clipping fix updates for the deep nested lists in PF2 action tab. I may need to work with Trenloe to reduce the depth and/or active elements as well as continue seeing if I can spot anything. I have some related improvements queued for release next week (optimizations I found while trying to figure out what changed).

Regards,
JPG

Montis
October 31st, 2023, 14:43
I have been poking at this on and off over the last week as I have time. The only change that I can see is the clipping fix updates for the deep nested lists in PF2 action tab. I may need to work with Trenloe to reduce the depth and/or active elements as well as continue seeing if I can spot anything. I have some related improvements queued for release next week (optimizations I found while trying to figure out what changed).

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for your work. Will this update also improve the lag when deleting enemies from the combat tracker? This is something that sometimes takes 20-30 seconds for me.

Moon Wizard
October 31st, 2023, 22:05
Not sure. Was the increased time recent, or something ongoing from before v4.4.4? If recent, then probably. It's hard to tell with low-level changes like these. In general, it should be an optimization.

Regards,
JPG

Montis
October 31st, 2023, 22:52
Not sure. Was the increased time recent, or something ongoing from before v4.4.4?
This has been going on for a while, I'd say a couple of months.

Maybe it's because our campaigns get more high level (and more data is loaded due to more content) but it seems to have gotten worse over time.

Moon Wizard
November 1st, 2023, 01:11
Depends on if you're running in Test channel or Live channel. The Test channel build has been around for a couple months, while the Live channel build for about 3-4 weeks.

We'll have to see if the version releasing later this week addresses. If not, I might need a sample of the campaign folder. It might be ruleset related, depending on whether PC/NPC and how complex the PCs/NPCs are for that ruleset. 5E is pretty straightforward, but some rulesets lean to very data-intensive structures for NPCs.

Regards,
JPG

vonBlashyrkh
November 1st, 2023, 10:49
I'd say it has been since the release of v4.4.4. and it's only PF2, I've ran Vaesen & Shadow of the Demon Lord without issue since that update, but I guess their character sheets don't have anywhere near as much data associated with them

Montis
November 1st, 2023, 14:10
Depends on if you're running in Test channel or Live channel. The Test channel build has been around for a couple months, while the Live channel build for about 3-4 weeks.

We'll have to see if the version releasing later this week addresses. If not, I might need a sample of the campaign folder. It might be ruleset related, depending on whether PC/NPC and how complex the PCs/NPCs are for that ruleset. 5E is pretty straightforward, but some rulesets lean to very data-intensive structures for NPCs.

Regards,
JPG

I only run the live channel. As I said, the lag while deleting creatures from the combat tracker has been around for quite a while. I think there's also some post around the forums about someone complaining about it, but I don't currently have the time to search for it.

mwfantasygrounds
November 1st, 2023, 15:15
I only run the live channel. As I said, the lag while deleting creatures from the combat tracker has been around for quite a while. I think there's also some post around the forums about someone complaining about it, but I don't currently have the time to search for it.

I've also had the same lag while deleting creatures from the combat tracker. I haven't been able to pin down a pattern though - high level or low level, big map or small map, etc. I've intermittently had the problem for 6+ months. I'll do a better job of tracking when it happens and what is going on when it happens; I only run every 2 weeks so it isn't something I have thought about a lot.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2023, 19:11
There's been an update today: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?78080-Fantasy-Grounds-v4-4-0&p=701101&viewfull=1#post701101

Please update and see if the recent increase in lag has been reduced.

Montis
November 3rd, 2023, 23:45
There's been an update today: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?78080-Fantasy-Grounds-v4-4-0&p=701101&viewfull=1#post701101

Please update and see if the recent increase in lag has been reduced.

I opened FG before the update and checked on my party's cleric's action tab: quite slow, even scrolling through it.

Updated, reopened the campaign, checked again: scrolling through it is now smooth, even though the loading is still not instant. But overall it definitely feels faster from the short time I played around with it, so thumbs up!

Trenloe
November 4th, 2023, 00:07
I opened FG before the update and checked on my party's cleric's action tab: quite slow, even scrolling through it.

Updated, reopened the campaign, checked again: scrolling through it is now smooth, even though the loading is still not instant. But overall it definitely feels faster from the short time I played around with it, so thumbs up!
Thanks for checking. The initial load is never going to be instant because FG needs to iterate through the nested data in the FG database and build the interface. Once it's loaded, it should remain in memory and be quicker when the pages are accessed in future in the same session.

vonBlashyrkh
November 5th, 2023, 19:00
Have also briefly tested, seems very much improved

Trenloe
November 5th, 2023, 19:07
Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Ludd_G
November 6th, 2023, 09:41

Can confirm! :D