PDA

View Full Version : [Extension] Highlight particularly good or bad rolls

illahad
October 11th, 2023, 21:10
Hello everyone!

I made a little extension for my own use, but maybe you will find value in it for your games too.

I use homebrewed effects that trigger when the roll is above or below the target number by 5. E.g. a special attack that, when hits monster AC+5, can also daze it, or when saving throw is failed by 5 or more, the inflicted condition becomes even nastier. It is tedious to sqint at the tiny text in the chat and do math for every roll, so I automated this check. With this extension you can set up a threshold, and when a roll in a certain category (attack|save|skill) exceeds or falls below the target number by the specified value you will see additiona icon in the chat and a message that threshold [X] is exceeded, without specifying by how much. You can check the screenshots attached to see how it looks.

It may be useful to make successes and failures more visible, then just set success threshold to 0 and failure - to 1. You can also use it for emulating Pathfinder 2ed critical hits/misses mechanics by setting the thresholds to 10. Even though it will not make a hit into a critical automatically, at least not in the initial version.

If you are interested, you can find more details and instructions in the forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1405/view)

Cheers!

Trenloe
October 11th, 2023, 21:14
That's cool. Thanks for sharing with the community!

MrDDT
October 12th, 2023, 07:16
This looks cool thanks.

nephranka
October 13th, 2023, 01:24
Looks good but it appears to have some conflicts with Requested Rolls.

illahad
October 13th, 2023, 06:46
Hi, thanks for letting me know, I checked Requested Rolls code but I could not immediately see, what can be wrong. Could you provide more context regarding what's happening? I don't use Requested Rolls myself, so I'm not familiar with usage scenarios.

nephranka
October 13th, 2023, 10:19
Hi, thanks for letting me know, I checked Requested Rolls code but I could not immediately see, what can be wrong. Could you provide more context regarding what's happening? I don't use Requested Rolls myself, so I'm not familiar with usage scenarios.

Sure. When the staged rolls is on it throws the following error after I approve the roll (screen s1).
[10/13/2023 5:14:48 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "illahad-TnDifference:..pts/TnDifference.lua"]:142: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'nTotal' (a nil value)

And it throws the same error without staging (screen s2).

In both cases I sent the player a skill check on history. Option settings in screen s3.

illahad
October 13th, 2023, 18:09
Thank you for the detailed response. I think I fixed this problem, it seems the reason was not in interaction with the Requested Rolls, but with the handling of manual input. Anyway, I tried it locally and it worked, so please check for updates to get the version 1.0.1 and you should be fine. Feel free to post if you encounter any other problems.

nephranka
October 13th, 2023, 19:22
Thank you for the detailed response. I think I fixed this problem, it seems the reason was not in interaction with the Requested Rolls, but with the handling of manual input. Anyway, I tried it locally and it worked, so please check for updates to get the version 1.0.1 and you should be fine. Feel free to post if you encounter any other problems.

Looks to be working now. I will report back if I find anything else. Thanks!

FedeBerserk
February 5th, 2024, 14:35
Hi, could this be modified to add an extra check to Attacks? I currently use rules that give bonuses on attacks over 5 AC and over 10 AC so having an option to set both of those should be better than just one, if possible. Thanks!

illahad
February 5th, 2024, 21:22
Hello, thank you for the interest to my extension!

Checking for two thresholds is easy to implement, but I'm not sure how to make it convenient to set up and avoid cluttering the options too much. I will give it a thought though.

FedeBerserk
February 5th, 2024, 21:37
Just brianstorming here, in no way I'm a tech guy, but maybe it could be made with an extra option to show both +5 and +10 specifically? As in a third option ?

illahad
February 8th, 2024, 20:24
Thanks for the brainstorming. I think I know what to do. Instead of setting second threshold explicitly (potentially for each of 6 settings) or hardcoding a specific values, I will add a setting for highlighting multiples of the threshold. E.g. in your example you set threshould for attacks to +5 and with that new option you will see +5, +10 +15 etc. highlighted with a differentl icon (probably the same icon with someting like x2, x3 and so on added on top). What do you think?

illahad
February 10th, 2024, 18:33
Hey FedeBerserk, I implemented what you asked.

Update for the version 1.1.0. There's now a new option "Highlight excess multiples (x2 and x3)" it is turned off by default. If you turn it on, you will see special icons and text when the roll exceeds the threshold times two or times three or more.

Cheers!

MrDDT
February 10th, 2024, 20:12
Thank you so much. Awesome work.

FedeBerserk
February 11th, 2024, 03:59
Thanks so much my man, this will come tremendously handy for my homebrew, you da best

FedeBerserk
February 25th, 2024, 06:03
Hi, it seems this ext is not compatible with some which I already have. I have it set up but to +5 and its double and triple for attacks but it never states with the sign if its over or same +5

illahad
February 25th, 2024, 07:06
Hi, it seems this ext is not compatible with some which I already have. I have it set up but to +5 and its double and triple for attacks but it never states with the sign if its over or same +5

Please take screenshots of the:
* FG loading messages
* Relevant settings
* Example of incorrect output

This is what it looks like for me (see attached screenchots):

So when it works, you should see a different icon and also a different number in the square brackets like [10].

FedeBerserk
February 25th, 2024, 07:28
I just came to bed but I can send them tomorrow. However, based on your screens, let me tell you how it goes:
First Screen: Same as yours
Second Screen: Highlight attacks 5 on Highlight x2 and x3 On , the rest off
Third Screen: It never shows the "Over AC... etc" text and icon

Will post the screens tomorrow but thats the gist of it

FedeBerserk
February 26th, 2024, 02:42

illahad
February 26th, 2024, 06:42
Thanks,

though I guess I could explain it clearer, I asked to see the loading message screenshot so that I can see the list of extensions that are loaded, so I can try to reproduce the issue. By the way,you can greately help with this, if you try to load first my extension alone, see if it works, and then add one by one other extensions that you want to use and check at what point it breaks.

In the next couple of days I'll be busy, but I'll look at the problem later this week.

Cheers!

LordEntrails
February 26th, 2024, 17:19
Thanks,

though I guess I could explain it clearer, I asked to see the loading message screenshot so that I can see the list of extensions that are loaded, so I can try to reproduce the issue. By the way,you can greately help with this, if you try to load first my extension alone, see if it works, and then add one by one other extensions that you want to use and check at what point it breaks.

In the next couple of days I'll be busy, but I'll look at the problem later this week.

Cheers!
IMO, it's usually just easier to ask for the person to Compile Logs and attach. The log will tell you all extensions loaded, plus other things as well that can help with troubleshooting.

FedeBerserk
February 27th, 2024, 14:56
I did some checking, since I have A LOT of exts, and checked in a new campaign enabling 4 at a time. After an hour, I reached the point where I had every same EXT enabled as in my normal campaign, but in the test campaign, the OVER X text always showed itself from start to finish, but in my normal campaign it doesnt. Despite having the same EXT enabled. So I reached the conclusion that 1) It's either not working on an ongoing campaign or 2) Manual options enabled/disabled in the options menu inside the campaign for the different EXTS somehow do not let this EXT work properly. Checking this options is gonna take some time

FedeBerserk
February 27th, 2024, 15:05
****ing lmao, it wasn't that long. Literally one of the first options I checked was the culprit. It is "Attack Prettifier" in the "Game" section of the Options menu

This is the options. I disabled Attack Prettifier

The top attack is when I had it activated
The lower attack is when I disabled it

Attack Prettifier is one of the options given by the EXT LAE5e (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47946-LAE-ExpandedOptions-v1-1-for-5E)

illahad
March 25th, 2024, 08:15
****ing lmao, it wasn't that long. Literally one of the first options I checked was the culprit. It is "Attack Prettifier" in the "Game" section of the Options menu

This is the options. I disabled Attack Prettifier

The top attack is when I had it activated
The lower attack is when I disabled it

Attack Prettifier is one of the options given by the EXT LAE5e (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47946-LAE-ExpandedOptions-v1-1-for-5E)

Sorry for the delayed response, I thought I will have time on my vacation, but I had many other things to do )

Thank you for checking it out! Right now the extension you've mentioned is not available on Forge (the link in the forum thread leads to an empty page with "This item is currently not available." message). When it becomes available, I'll check it. You can also contact the auhor of LAE5e and ask them to check, as it might be a problem on their side as well. There is a certain technique with overriding 5e ruleset functions that allows other extensions to do the same override, but when an extension doesn't use that technique it effectively prevents other extensions from working. But this is just a guess, it can be something else.

Anyway, I'll check when the extension comes back online.