PDA

View Full Version : Statefull firewalling

SuperGeek
February 14th, 2008, 20:51
Hi

I have a firewall and have set it up to allow incoming and outgoing TCP connections to port 1802.
Unfortunatly I am also behind another firewall which I cannot configure. However I can log on to the firewall and then it allows all traffic to or from my computer. Here's the catch: The firewall has to know that the traffic is requested by my computer, this is termed "Statefull firewalling" according to my system administrators.

I need to know: does Fantasy Grounds support statefull firewalling?

Thanks in advance

SuperGeek

Dachannien
February 14th, 2008, 21:21
Not as such. If you're trying to run the server on your machine, you cannot depend on "port triggering" to allow incoming traffic to reach your machine. (Port triggering is where your computer first makes an outgoing connection on a port, and subsequently for a period of time, incoming traffic from the machine you contacted is sent back to your computer. Sometimes it's done with a bit more complexity than that, but that's the short short version.) That's why you have to open the ports manually on your firewall(s).

You might look into using Hamachi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi) to get around this problem, though. I haven't used it myself, but I believe there have been other reports here on the forums that reported positive results.