PDA

View Full Version : Update

Arion
October 4th, 2023, 15:29
Things have been fairly slow with the AFF FG ruleset of late due to various things, but they are moving once more.

The core ruleset is receiving some attention to iron out bugs and improve the core functionality a bit, and once that is done we will sit down to discuss the next stage of development, automation etc.

I have submitted the Combat Companion module for review and approval, and hopefully that will be available before too long. I know that I (and my grouo) regard that as essential now, and I am aware that lots of others do too.

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is in the finishing stretches now, and with any luck that will be submitted next week for review.

The Heroes Companion and Demons of Doom are both part done, and they will follow on after Warlock.

I am also hoping that the Beyond the Pit module can be finished soon, which would then kick me into getting the Atlantis Campaign converted. There is a lot going on with Arion Games at the moment, but I am trying to put some time in each day to keep these projects moving.

After that? Well, we have discussed a Stellar Adventures extension, but that is a while in the future yet.

Moon Wizard
October 4th, 2023, 18:51
Make sure to grab the latest code from the source control, so you get all the core updates I've been making to keep the ruleset in synch.

Regards,
JPG

Vackipleur
October 5th, 2023, 09:00
Great news ! Thanks Arion

sedgetone
October 7th, 2023, 18:01
I appreciate that this isn’t a dead product. But please, get the released products fixed up before releasing anything else. As much as I’d like to see WoFM, I’d rather have what I’ve already bought in a usable state.

Arion
October 7th, 2023, 19:09
I appreciate that this isn’t a dead product. But please, get the released products fixed up before releasing anything else. As much as I’d like to see WoFM, I’d rather have what I’ve already bought in a usable state.

Well, I have been playing in a game myself in the ruleset for a few months and it has worked really well.

The big thing on the wishlist is attack automation, which is not easy to do with the coding due to the permutations of the combat system.

Apart from that, what are you having trouble with?

[Also, I cannot do the core ruleset coding, but I can be working on modules, so those don't slow down improvements at all]

sedgetone
October 7th, 2023, 19:22
Well in the bugs and features thread I did list a fair few items. Big thing was being unable to create weapons and armor items. In all honesty it’s been months since I last bothered trying to use it. The state of the reference manual was a joke on release, missing contents and formatting errors. I’d love automation but totally get that it isn’t straightforward, but being able to create items without hacking XML would be a good start.

Arion
October 8th, 2023, 15:19
Well in the bugs and features thread I did list a fair few items. Big thing was being unable to create weapons and armor items. In all honesty it’s been months since I last bothered trying to use it. The state of the reference manual was a joke on release, missing contents and formatting errors. I’d love automation but totally get that it isn’t straightforward, but being able to create items without hacking XML would be a good start.

Ah, OK. Well, the weapons and armour now work properly, so you can create those, add them to parcels etc. I know the reference manual has been revamped,but will check that again.

sedgetone
October 8th, 2023, 18:08
Well I've just updated FGU (live channel) and created a new campaign... still can't create weapons or armour. In fact, I opened a couple of Item records to show you what I see: Beeswax (with character errors) and Crossbow for reference. Unless I'm being completely dense, there is only a single way to create in Item record. The new item record created doesn't seem to resemble the fields of any other existing Item record provided by core content. See attached screen shot for reference, what am I doing wrong?

Arion
October 9th, 2023, 10:23
Hmmm, strange. There should be a weapon and armour button on the Item window.
I know that there is another update being submitted today. I am not sure how long it will take to reach users, but when it does, I will check back with you.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2023, 15:31
I know that there is another update being submitted today. I am not sure how long it will take to reach users, but when it does, I will check back with you.
Assuming the correct procedure has been followed with SmiteWorks - usually you'll have received an email with a subject "Tuesday Update Confirmed for ..." If you've received this email confirmation, then your update should go with the next Tuesday update - which are announced each week in the City Hall forum here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?37-City-Hall I can't see any update to the AFF ruleset in that forum for a long time.

This is all based off the usual SmiteWorks process - you may have a different process. I recommend you reach out to Jame Holloway if you need clarification on the process and/or the current status of the ruleset updates submitted.

Moon Wizard
October 9th, 2023, 18:27
Just as a heads up. I don't see any updates to the IPFGAFF2EAGAFF01 product in the source control system except for my maintenance updates. (Nov 2021 - Aug 2023) This means that either we did not receive an update, or it was recently received and not applied.

Make sure that you have the latest version of the ruleset code before making any changes (per my previous emails). If you submit changes to the old copy, we'll have to revert; and make sure you have the latest to apply your changes to. If you don't have source control access, then please ask James for a current copy of the ruleset files before making changes.

Regards,
JPG

sedgetone
October 11th, 2023, 14:06

Did you manage to verify updates are being submitted correctly? Would like to know if we're likely to see an update any time soon.

sedgetone
October 19th, 2023, 20:05

Any news on when we’re likely to see the item fixes?

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2023, 21:03
I saw some code commits over the last week, so I know the developer/development is active again. I think they were working on a larger update including the items they mentioned they would look at, but it's not quite ready.

Regards,
JPG

Dalton Calford
October 24th, 2023, 18:04
Where would you see such updates? There are enough little problems with the ruleset that it is to the point that I have never actually been able to use the current system in a game.
For example, weapons cannot be placed in parcels yet (just checked), so it is difficult to place treasures in locations that happen to be weapons.

AFF is one of my favourite games, but, it is still not ready to use via VTT.

Moon Wizard
October 24th, 2023, 18:59
They are behind the scenes commits to the source control we use. The last set of updates I received still had a few issues, so they haven't been released yet. I was just noting that I did see items being committed for review last week, so there is activity behind the scenes. Once the issues are resolved, I'm sure that the developer will post here.

Note: I will be taking multiple rulesets including this one into beta channel only updates next week, so if the updates come after that, they may only be in beta channel for several weeks while we finalize the beta changes. More information will be in the Laboratory channel next week once I push the beta ruleset updates.

Regards,
JPG

Dalton Calford
October 24th, 2023, 22:00
Is there a chance to see what issues are being addressed?
It would be nice to know if it is within the realm of possibility to have it working by the new year.

Moon Wizard
October 24th, 2023, 22:06
I don't have visibility into that, as I'm neither familiar with the AFF system nor with what specific changes are being made. I just focus on making sure there are no error messages; and that the standard Core features and theming are working.

Regards,
JPG

eldarune
October 25th, 2023, 10:41
Is there a chance to see what issues are being addressed?
It would be nice to know if it is within the realm of possibility to have it working by the new year.

Hi Dalton. I've just pushed up hopefully my final changes based on feedback from Smiteworks. If that goes well, and assuming the queue is not too bad, the update will be out next week.

This is a rough changelog of what the new update will contain:

* Can now add your own armour and weapons.
* Parcels armour and weapons dragged into a parcel should work now.
* Items can have an effect when consumed, so you can create, for example, a Potion of Healing or Harming that automatically updates the Stamina points when consumed.
* Added Sling, Spear to preset weapons.
* NPC weapons now refresh the rollable hover as you type.
* Fixed bug when rolling damage with modifiers.
* Added combat magic option.
* PC will get a chat message if they try to test luck but have no points left.
* PC token will now show in chat for skill, magic and luck rolls.
* PC token will now show when eating or sleeping.
* Items can now be marked as consumable.
* PC can double click on the count of an item in their inventory. If the item is consumable, if will reduce the count by one.
* PC will get a chat message if they try to cast a spell with no MAGIC skill.
* PC will get a chat message if they try to cast a spell with insufficient Magic Points.
* Failing a Minor Magic spell now deducts 1 MP or 2 MP if critical failure.
* Minor Magic receives a +6 to target roll.
* Added missing maps and images to Out of the Pit.
* Fixed typos, "todos" and missing images in the Core Book.
* Fixed a few things in the Core Extras modules
* Added a few things to prepare for new rules in Heroes Companion.

Apologies this has taken so long. Real-life has been challenging lately.

Moon Wizard
October 26th, 2023, 02:16
I've pushed the changes to the Live channel that were provided by @eldarune. Please run a new Check for Updates to get the latest version.

Regards,
JPG

sedgetone
October 26th, 2023, 08:39
Just updated and had a brief look, item creation seems to work properly now. The buttons for Weapon and Armour item types have appeared! Skipping through the Core reference the TODO markers seem to have gone. Thank you eldarune for getting this out, I look forward to being able to finally run a game with the system.

eldarune
October 28th, 2023, 05:07
Just updated and had a brief look, item creation seems to work properly now. The buttons for Weapon and Armour item types have appeared! Skipping through the Core reference the TODO markers seem to have gone. Thank you eldarune for getting this out, I look forward to being able to finally run a game with the system.

Thanks for letting me know. Those buttons took a while to work out. Let me know if you come across anything else. By all means join the Discord as that may be easier for getting into direct contact with me.

hawkwind
January 26th, 2024, 11:27
pleasantly surprised to see the Combat companion has been released