PDA

View Full Version : CoC new characters with wrong era skills on character sheet

flashingturtle
September 26th, 2023, 08:44
Hi everyone, im having problems getting new character sheets to have the correct era skills.

i select era in the GM options but when i create a new character i get the standard CoC skills.

ive tried closing all modules except the down darker trails (old west era) im trying to run.

ive tried making all the other eras not public so they cant see them.

ive tried changing the theme from leather and dungeon to no theme as i saw on another thread that may have been an issue.

help!

its probably something super basic and i apologise in advance, however its a real problem, especially when ive tried to create custom eras.
now its happening on a purchased 'era' im really stuck.

flashingturtle
September 26th, 2023, 08:48
ok so i just logged onto my game as a localhost and i see in my (gm) options the era is set to old west, in the localhost (player) options its set to 1920's and i cant change it!

and even tho my gm side is set to old west, when i create a new charater, i still get 1920's skills.

flashingturtle
September 26th, 2023, 13:34
now ive opened all the CoC rules sets plus pulp rules and there are about 10 skills that are not transferring over from the eras to the character sheet, although it is working up to a point

LordEntrails
September 26th, 2023, 16:49
There are two CoC rulesets, 6th and 7th editions. Which one are you using? Are you using any extensions?

flashingturtle
September 26th, 2023, 16:54
no extensions, 7e.

some skills just refuse to go from the eras to the actual character sheet. in this case i was looking for 'animal handling' and its not there.

i can change eras, and most of the skills change but a handful refuse to populate on the character sheets

LordEntrails
September 26th, 2023, 19:16
MOD: moved to CoC 7e forum for better visibility. Sorry I don't know this ruleset myself so can't otherwise help :(

flashingturtle
September 26th, 2023, 20:01
ok thanks

flashingturtle
September 26th, 2023, 20:25
i think the problem may be something to do with animal handling being an uncommon skill? its locked by default so i cant change it to make it show up?

Trenloe
September 26th, 2023, 22:40
i think the problem may be something to do with animal handling being an uncommon skill? its locked by default so i cant change it to make it show up?
On the GM side, unlock the skill and unselect the "Uncommon" checkbox, then create a PC - it will include the skill as it's no longer tagged as uncommon. The gotcha is that you need to set the skill entry that isn't from another module (i.e. the one that's in the (Uncategorized) group) as this is the one used when creating a PC.

If you've already created a PC, drag/drop the skill to the PC Skills tab.

flashingturtle
September 27th, 2023, 08:19
It worked thank you!!!

flashingturtle
September 27th, 2023, 09:05
Ok i got animal handling, artilliery, hypnosis which were uncommon showing up... however... firearms and languages dont show up now. they arent uncommon. is there a max number of skills (50) you can put on a character sheet? ive got50 on now. it also missing a few figting sub-skills.

flashingturtle
September 27th, 2023, 09:52
in the meantime i can drag the missing skills over to a character sheet (science didnt show up either) and add the sub skills manually, then once its correct i can duplicate that character sheet and tell the players to select a blank one i made rather than create a new one with missing skills. thats the plan anyway.

any ideas why this is happening?

Trenloe
September 27th, 2023, 10:04
Skills that have subskills aren't usually entered into the character sheet when a blank investigator is created - unless they are a skill that the investigator specifically starts with - for example: Language (own) and Fighting (Brawl).

You add any additional sub skills when needed by entering edit mode (click the brown "/" button in the top right of the Skill tab) and click the relevant blue button to add a new language, art & craft, fighting, science or firearms skill. This is usually after you've added an occupation to the investigator and are spending the occupation and personal skill points.

Trenloe
September 27th, 2023, 10:19
I'd recommend watching this video: https://youtu.be/AhF1pUhy5n0

These two may also be informative on how to use a couple of aspects of the ruleset:
https://youtu.be/SkZp_CVd_5U
https://youtu.be/W506rfcjvVM

flashingturtle
September 27th, 2023, 12:50
thanks

cthulhu
October 14th, 2023, 06:05
I found that deleting all the skills from the 1920s era list and then repopulating it with the skills I want works!

cthulhu
November 5th, 2023, 16:05
I only realised today that not only do you need to set up a skills list for a new era by creating new skills or drag and drop existing skills, you have to log out then login and go to options. In Options, change the era to your new era. It should then generate new character sheets with your chosen era skills.