PDA

View Full Version : Shot myself in the foot: Resizing

Broken Isotope
September 26th, 2023, 04:53
Now 3 hours later I have been scouring forums, watching videos, and trial and error. I made a map on a 23 by 23.4 background.
So now I have a world map at 6.0854166667(roughly) Millimeters. If you have questions about this math here you go.

1 pixel (X) = 0.2645833333 mm
1 mm = 3.7795275591 pixel (X)

I did round down to just 23x23. Now if I select all layers I cannot increase this number all at once without making it look like a late era picasso piece. So is there anywhere that tells me I do not have to go layer by layer and increasing each one by the same digit to streamline this. Because I probably have oh I don't want to know exactly but on my window is 70 layers and I have enough scroll bar to fit about 2.5x as much layers to have to go through and do this with.

Yes I am frustrated and I am begging for an easy answer.
Due to my negligence of learning this programs units of measurement I have made such an easy mistake to avoid.
Thank you for good or bad news, just let me know what direction my path is on.

I am uploading an image that was exported out of FGU and an image I captured and saved. I just have the lack of quality in both.

Trenloe
September 26th, 2023, 10:05
Welcome to the forums. Sorry you're struggling with the image size.

To clarify - is the issue with the size of the export, or the display sizing within FGU?

Broken Isotope
September 26th, 2023, 12:05
Not just the export, but the resizing of each layer so it's not a 23px by 23.4px map and to increase them all simultaneously while keeping proper shape.

Now I am also having an export issue.
I made a 1121px by 1121px map and that should be an 11in x 11in jpeg. But on export I get this.....58962

Also thank you for your empathy. This is all trial and error for me and I try to watch Justin's videos, but with a toddler and diagnosed ADHD, sitting through 1-2hr youtube videos kill me....

Great guy 10/10 on his information and teaching....I just need hands on involvement to learn and a captivating teacher to help me....

Broken Isotope
September 26th, 2023, 12:46
WELL FIGURED OUT SOMETHING!!!!!!!!! If I CTRL+ALT+PSC and then paste into paint or gyazo or something I then can save it and re-upload/import it as a new asset.

By doing so the 300+ layers are then condensed into one image and I can continue its edits without my PC dropping to 3 frames while editing.

More so with the image as one layer I can adjust that layer to the size of my liking e.g. 2080px X 2080px.

I have solved my issues. But thank you for your help and if you have any tips to fix or circumvent this process to give me ease of use I am all ears! I just hope this helps someone else at this point.58963

Warning: Attached file is 8192² or 8192 x 8192

Trenloe
September 26th, 2023, 12:55
To resize, select all of the layers in the layer menu - click the top in the list, hold the SHIFT key and click the bottom in the list. Then type a new number in one of the size boxes at the top and press return.

For the export issue - it looks like you have at least once layer that is massive, as FG will export to the size of the largest layer in either dimension, with auto resizing to fit a cap of 8192 pixels in any one dimension.

Here's a video that goes through both of these aspects: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea7nsnsuq6ionvn/FGU%20Image%20Resizing%20and%20exporting.mp4?dl=0

Broken Isotope
September 26th, 2023, 14:40
So I bet my issue was my grid size maybe?
Or with the amount of layers I had made it save incorrectly?
My PC did drop down to 3 frames consistently while editing these maps after I got to about 250+ layers.
But after watching that video I hope I don't make the same mistake.
Thank you!

Trenloe
September 26th, 2023, 14:45
Your main issue was that you seem to have (or FG thought you have) a massive map - much larger than the section where the actual data is. This is based on all of the layers you have - and their relevant positions. FG will export a map that includes everything from every layer.

If you want to investigate further for your image - please provide a screenshot of your image window, in edit mode, that shows the whole image and: 1) The layers list with all layers selected, 2) The grid window.

pindercarl
September 26th, 2023, 14:48
So I bet my issue was my grid size maybe?
Or with the amount of layers I had made it save incorrectly?
My PC did drop down to 3 frames consistently while editing these maps after I got to about 250+ layers.
But after watching that video I hope I don't make the same mistake.
Thank you!

The size in pixels of an exported image is determined by the grid size. For example, using a grid size of 100x100 will result in 100x100 pixels for that grid square in the exported map.