PDA

View Full Version : So my worst fear came true with the update

viresanimi
September 18th, 2023, 22:13
I watched the stream when the WoD update was announced and demonstrated, and there was so so so much to be excited about. But - as always - there was that one thing that Smiteworks never does right.

The SPC sheets.

They are awful. Just going to say it.

The fact that skills are missing from them, means that endless hours of work has been lost. I cannot describe how inadequate I feel the SPC sheets are. I think I am going to have to start up my labtob, which has a recent copy of my campaign and not update. Because that is the only way I can find all the skills I made for the many many many SPC's I've populated my campaign with.

I can't even see how to easily add skills to SPC sheets. They don't drag and drop that is for sure. Nothing does, as far as I can see.

I guess I will have to remake 100+ SPC's as characters or something.

I am very so down right now. I have so so much work flushed down the drain and no easy fix. And I was kind of expecting it. Why is it that SPC sheets made by Smiteworks all follow the bloddy D&D statblock layout? Why? This isn't D&D. This isn't monster bashing simulator. This ia about creating an environment and people that inhabit it. The ruleset has other needs!!!

The previous Vampire author knew that. For all the faults of that ruleset, he got that right.

I love Smiteworks and all you do. The ruleset seem to run much smoother now. And it seems to have a lot of new cool stuff. I just can't.. will you for once learn from other rulesets than D/D? Look at previous WoD rulesets. The Genesys ruleset... They are better than this!!!

As far as I am concerned, this ruleset is far from finished.

superteddy57
September 18th, 2023, 22:40
Skills and Exceptional Pools are handled by typing out the pool amount.

Example:
Athletics 4
or
Athletics (Jumping) 4

They are separated by commas.

The logic behind the change is:
* The GM won't have to do too many mouse clicks to setup a NPC and just type (or copy/paste) the information they want in there to roll.
* Handles the varying styles of NPC stat blocks I saw with all the published material that was provided to me
* Old campaigns should convert when attempting to access them and setup the data to the current design. So those NPCs should be available with the new design.

You can also copy the campaign prior to loading it to test the last point.

viresanimi
September 18th, 2023, 22:51
I respectfully disagree with you design philosophy.

Old campaigns should convert when attempting to access them and setup the data to the current design. So those NPCs should be available with the new design.

They don't. Not a single one has the skills they should have.

superteddy57
September 18th, 2023, 22:52
Please set up a way to download the campaign and I'll have a look.

pralix1138
September 18th, 2023, 23:38
My campaign carried over, and looks good so far. I've only run into a couple issues: One is the chat window doesn't seem to wrap properly. The other issue I've come across thus far is some formatting issues in the SPC sheets. I'm including pictures of a couple Backgrounds to illustrate what I'm talking about.

viresanimi
September 19th, 2023, 00:15

Honestly... it doesn't matter. I understand you made the ruleset the way you did for a reason, and that's not going to change. So I am going back to how I did it in MoreCore and just use charactersheets for everything. So I have to redo everything anyways.

But I hope you can understand why I am upset. I have literally hundreds of hours of work in several campaigns, using a ruleset I specifically bought, because it was NOT "the standard Smiteworks design". And now I don't have that anymore....

I just want to say, that I don't understand one thing. The one person that needs all the functionality / drag/drop stuff the most, is the storyteller. Why you wouldn't make SPC's just as easy to work with, for the one person that will do the most work and need it most.... is just... I don't understand it.

I am not a coder. And for sure the old ruleset was slow as could be. But it had what I wanted....

It's late here and I am going to bed. I am sure will get to love all the new stuff. I love you all, and sorry for being disappointed.

superteddy57
September 19th, 2023, 00:23
The design matches many of the stat blocks I saw in published materials. I design around that material, so that it is quick and easy to get into the campaign. I did not design it based on the D&D design. The published stat blocks are presented in this design and I tried to replicate it. There will be changes based on making functionality smoother and keeping with the generic nature of the ruleset. I'm sorry you are not happy with the approach, but drag and drop hasn't been a common trait with NPC records as long as I have used the platform. As with any feedback, I do take it into consideration on expansion and can add in some helpful processes to speed it up as I did with the green add buttons seen on the character sheet. I thank you for the report and have it in my notes to look at when I see more feedback.

Trenloe
September 19th, 2023, 07:30

Honestly... it doesn't matter.

If something's supposed to work and it's not, then please help the FG devs to address by providing an example campaign. There may be a misunderstanding on how it is supposed to work, or there may be an actual technical issue that you can help fix.

viresanimi
September 19th, 2023, 11:06
If something's supposed to work and it's not, then please help the FG devs to address by providing an example campaign. There may be a misunderstanding on how it is supposed to work, or there may be an actual technical issue that you can help fix.

Since it doesn't fix the underlying issue for me, I would rather just move on. However, there are other fairly major bugs regarding moving things over, as I will outline in the bugs thread, that probably will necessitate this. I also want to investigate a little bit before I even did this. It might involve the Player Agency extension. Might help solve the bugs.

The design matches many of the stat blocks I saw in published materials. I design around that material, so that it is quick and easy to get into the campaign. I did not design it based on the D&D design. The published stat blocks are presented in this design and I tried to replicate it. There will be changes based on making functionality smoother and keeping with the generic nature of the ruleset. I'm sorry you are not happy with the approach, but drag and drop hasn't been a common trait with NPC records as long as I have used the platform. As with any feedback, I do take it into consideration on expansion and can add in some helpful processes to speed it up as I did with the green add buttons seen on the character sheet. I thank you for the report and have it in my notes to look at when I see more feedback.

All your points are valid from your point of view. Personally I can't see why I should care what publishers do. And you are very right in the fact that drag and drop is not standard in FG in general (I mean.. the amount of time I spent in Vaesen trying to type out weapons and it not working because it actually was drag/drop... yikes!!!). I respectfully just want to point out that I am not talking about anything in general. I am talking about what I specifically had. What I purchased in the vampire ruleset. There I had those things. So it is objectively worse to work with as a storyteller.

I just wanted mini charactersheets like before and not a statblocks. I hate statblocks. You may have noticed! *wink* It was so nice and neat and beautiful, and I miss it.

I don't wanna keep going on this. This is merely a clash of styles and desires. It happens. I just hope you can respect why this something people are not happy about
. Just.. .you know... ask Doug about how he feels about Unity right now. It's kind of the same... you bought into one thing. Now you got something else.... hi hi hi hi hi hi...

As mentioned I have run into a farily major issue with conversion. Will write in the bug thread about that.

And just to be clear. There are things that I absolutely LOVE about the new ruleset. Institution integration??? Am I in heaven??

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2023, 16:48
If you could please provide the campaign that you were working on, then @superteddy57 can look at what didn't get migrated correctly and we can look at getting that moved over still. But, a copy of that campaign will be very helpful to help us refine the migration code.

Regards,
JPG

Grutmiesh
September 20th, 2023, 21:49
Is there anyway to get back the V5 dice in my chronicle? It seems to have defaulted to D&D dice after the update. Also all of my character’s background information (desires, tenets, descriptions) have all been blanked on their sheets.

superteddy57
September 20th, 2023, 22:01
I collected them and placed them in the notes section for the conversion for the first log into the campaign. I'm not sure what you mean by V5 dice. The dice are the same that are provided by the system. The d10s will roll and provide a number result. When you perform a roll using the built in functionality, it will roll and output the icons to the chat what was rolled.

Grutmiesh
September 20th, 2023, 22:21
What I mean by V5 (the system’s name) is that before the update the d10 you could roll custom rolls using V5 d10s at the bottom of the screen. The dice used in the game system (had the Vampire Ankh for successes on them so there were no need for referencing the dice charts)

superteddy57
September 20th, 2023, 22:23
They are not available unless you do a pool roll from the PC sheet or NPC sheet at this time. I can see if we can add a right click custom die option to the d10 for that to be available.

Grutmiesh
September 20th, 2023, 22:27
That would be awesome! It was a cool feature. I know I could just roll d10s and reference the numbers to count successes. Just a bummer it’s gone now. I seemed to have lost my Vampire theme in the process of changing the campaign theme to see if I could get the dice back that way.

Grutmiesh
September 20th, 2023, 22:34
Never mind, found out how to reset the them back to the way it was… sorry

Grutmiesh
September 20th, 2023, 22:45
Is there anyway to add Skills to the SPC sheets? All can see are Attributes to use for dice pools.

superteddy57
September 20th, 2023, 23:29
Skills and Exceptional Pools are handled by typing out the pool amount.

Example:
Athletics 4
or
Athletics (Jumping) 4

They are separated by commas.

When you wish to roll including the speciality, you hold shift and click when the record is locked.

bertoschmidt
September 22nd, 2023, 22:55
Is it just me or creating a regular PC sheet is much harder now? I can't add any dots to my sheet. Idk if it's a bug or if there's just a different way of filling up a character sheet now.

Moon Wizard
September 22nd, 2023, 22:56
There's an edit button in the upper part of the sheet to allow you to adjust the dot fields. This prevents you from accidentally changing during play.

Regards,
JPG

lbkoerich
October 4th, 2023, 03:02
How did you do that?

superteddy57
October 4th, 2023, 03:05
If you are referring to opening the sheet to edit the numbers, it was changed to a lock icon in the top right of the character sheet.

lbkoerich
October 4th, 2023, 03:08
Never mind, found out how to reset the them back to the way it was… sorry

How did you do that?

superteddy57
October 4th, 2023, 04:30
The only way to roll dice that would produce the symbols is through the actions on the character sheet or NPC sheet. I have it on my list to add a custom die option to the d10 to roll with the symbols and not have the numbers.

ShankyMcStabber
October 8th, 2023, 19:10
It broke a lot more than skills.

For my V5 Campaign I had manually entered into Fantasy Grounds Unity the Merits, Flaws, Backgrounds, Advantages, Powers, Disciplines, Clans, etc from ALL the Published Materials to date.

After this update I have lost:
All my Merits
All Powers not in Core, Camarilla, or the V5 Companion
All Loresheets not in Core, Camarilla, or the V5 Companion
All Rituals not in Core, Camarilla, or the V5 Companion
All of the Chicago by Night/Chicago Folios/Let the Streets Run Red NPC Stats, Discipline Levels, and Blood Potency

So this update just obliterated over 100 hours worth of work.

Now I am trying to figure out how I am going to restore to an earlier version of the Executable AND an earlier version of my Chronicle (because the Update actually changes the campaign files) just to avoid having to re-enter EVERYTHING.

Fear Grounds
October 9th, 2023, 05:47
Now I am trying to figure out how I am going to restore to an earlier version of the Executable AND an earlier version of my Chronicle (because the Update actually changes the campaign files) just to avoid having to re-enter EVERYTHING.

In the same situation. All of the custom modules I made are broken. The ref manuals still work, but all the links are broken. No clans, disciplines, powers, ceremonies, rituals, spcs, or aspcs. All of it gone.

My saving grace; all my custom content still works in Fantasy Grounds Classic. A little harder to connect to games, and not nearly as shiny and new, but it works.

As far as the campaign goes, unless you had it backed up prior to the update, I don't believe you can roll it back.

superteddy57
October 9th, 2023, 05:49
If the data is in a module, I can have a look and see what is the issue. Without that, I can't say for sure where the issue lies.

Fear Grounds
October 9th, 2023, 06:58
PM sent in Fantasy Grounds Account

superteddy57
October 9th, 2023, 08:24
Thanks to you both. I responded to your pms and was able to locate the issues. I will make those changes with the next update.