PDA

View Full Version : [Online] [Dune: Adventures in the Imperium] DM Forming a Group 3-4 Players [PST]

oktarb
September 6th, 2023, 19:37
Hi there!

I am forming a group for a Dune: Adventures in the Imperium game, and I am looking for new players to join. Not only will I be forming the main player group, I’m looking for a couple of players that will play opposing Houses, these players do not join the main play sessions but enact there plans via email/forums. There may be times that the main player group encounters a rival player in session. Here's all the key information:

Game Setting

I will use the main core books 2d20 system. I will be using both current and legacy material to build our adventures, which involves traversing the world and dealing with both epic agendas and smaller challenges. The setting will be more serious in nature with adventure, intrigue and epic forces. I will be using the universe as we know it but may not be able to rely on what you know completely as I think surprises are a good thing. This will be an ongoing campaign with both small and large story arcs. The players will help form the story as much as I plan for things.

Players

I am looking for 3-4 players to start off. Characters will be made via email, chat, or a discord session. I am hoping to gather a group of diverse people.

Game Master

Style as a GM, I lean toward roleplaying action. You will describe what you’re doing, and then dice are employed where needed. I try to avoid endless conversations about rules and modifiers, but I like the chaotic nature of dice. I avoid too many die rolls interrupting the narrative but totally support character abilities. Sometimes, I’ll roll secretly while you will generally roll for your actions. I use maps and tokens where appropriate, but I don't rely on them. I prefer describing where everything is and what you can utilize in the environment.

I don’t kill players flippantly, but I don’t overly protect them either. There should be risks to rewards. However, on average, my players don’t die a lot, or there's a mechanic to resurrect. I run a mature fantasy-based world where violence and decisions matter.

Experience-wise, I have many years of experience as a GM and player in many systems. I’m in my fifties and have embraced geek culture from a young age. I’m always learning new tricks and strive to remain a humble GM. I sometimes have a secondary GM join to help play NPCs or if the player group splits.

Timing

I’m shooting for one adventure every two weeks, with the of some aspects of the campaign being handled in email/forum/chat in between sessions. I will also run solo sessions depending on the need, though I'm careful not to favor a particular player with too many solo sessions. I’m PST time zone-based, looking for evening sessions, the day of the week to be determine by the group needs. This may change if the solidified group has a far better time. It's hard to say how long a session will run, but 4 hours is probably a good guess.

How to Apply:

To sign up for the campaign please is to respond to the questions below. If we sync, I'll open a Discord channel to chat and get to know each other better. Feel free to ask me any questions as well! You can respond as a comment or DM me directly - either way, I'll add your response to my spreadsheet. Unlike most jobs people apply for, I will respond. I don't like rejecting anyone, but I can't accept everyone :(

Questions:

• How long have you been roleplaying? Are you a new or veteran player?

• Would you prefer to be a core story player or a out of session rival house that plays by email/forums/solo sessions?

• How familiar are you with the Dune universe?

• Combine your favorite color and animal and tell me what it is.

• Having read the setting, what are you looking for in a game?

• Name a pet peeve you have with GMs.

• Do you like using video during your gaming sessions?

• Toilet paper: over or under?

• Briefly tell me about yourself. See below for my bio-share and share-alike.

Feel free to ask any preliminary questions.

About Me:

I'm a geeky guy with three kids (one of whom is trans) and two cats and a crazy Shepsky named Loki. I'm neither introverted nor extroverted and enjoy video games, RPGs, and abstract painting in my spare time.

Vhok
September 7th, 2023, 10:54
what do you mean by "online" in your title? is this not in fantasy grounds which cannot be "offline"? i never saw you mention fantasy grounds in your post, what level of game license do you have?

Slyshadow21
September 7th, 2023, 13:24
Hello there,

This seems like a fantastic setup you have. Count me in.

Answers:
* I have been playing TTRPGs for almost 30 years. Mostly GM. From AD&D - 5e, Call of Cthulhu, cyberpunk, Traveller, Star Trek Adventures. Would be new to Dune RPG.

* Prefer core. Dive deep into story, lore, action.

* Dune? Dessert Planet? Arrakis? Books From O.G. To Chapterhouse. All movies and miniseries.

* ?Blue Dragon? Wait.. real animal? Shai Hulud? Close enough.

* looking forward to? Intrigue, mystery, Kanly!

* Lack of communication. To many games have fallen apart due to GM letting comms go by the wayside. Even I have fallen as a GM because if this.

* never really used video as a medium in my games.. not apposed.

* Toilet paper: this is a philosophical question. One that would need greater minds then mine to answer..

*Me: I am a big sci-fi and fantasy geek. Video games, books, board games, and camping(I like outdoor adventure). 41 years young with a wife and kid. Love my alone time, but prefer playing games with people.

Question for you: will we be a great house or Minor? Or part of the Guild or a Sister of the Bene Gesserit?

Looking forward to hearing from you. And as always: Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and going of Him. May His passage cleanse the world. May He keep the world for His people.

oktarb
September 7th, 2023, 16:20
I have the ultimate license and the [online] is a cut and paste hold over from a post I put on Reddit as well. They demand a online or offline tag.

oktarb
September 7th, 2023, 19:18
Question for you: will we be a great house or Minor? Or part of the Guild or a Sister of the Bene Gesserit?

I haven't fully decided yet but I believe either a Great House from the start or a Minor House on the cusp of becoming a Great House.

oktarb
September 8th, 2023, 19:05
Two players locked in. Looking for 1-2 more.

stormlordrising1
September 14th, 2023, 19:48
Hello,

I would be interested in playing. I have never even looked at the game but have read all the original books and watched all the movies. Really enjoyed them all.

• How long have you been roleplaying? Are you a new or veteran player? been role playing for 18 yrs. new to Dune RPG. played one other campaign on FG for about a yr

• Would you prefer to be a core story player or a out of session rival house that plays by email/forums/solo sessions? would prefer to be a core store player.

• How familiar are you with the Dune universe? yes

• Combine your favorite color and animal and tell me what it is. Black is my favorite color bc it is all colors. Tiger is my favorite animal bc it was my mom's nickname for me growing up.

• Having read the setting, what are you looking for in a game? intrigue, playing Mentat scholar type of character

• Name a pet peeve you have with GMs. keeping things to themselves if i do something that is wrong let me know. We cant read your mind.

• Do you like using video during your gaming sessions? never used it before so don't know

• Toilet paper: over or under? don't care one way or other

• Briefly tell me about yourself. See below for my bio-share and share-alike. I am an Army brat and I retired from the Army in 2017. Have one son who is 11 and still lives at home.

gugliacci
September 21st, 2023, 03:53
Hi! Been itching to play this setting & system for a little bit, and my regular groups have been less reliable lately due to schedule conflicts and GM burnout.

• How long have you been roleplaying?
About 15 years, 13 or so as a GM on and off, definitely want some time to step back and just be a player for a bit. Lots of Pathfinder 1e, some D&D 5e, Mage, Star Trek Adventures, which I really like and got me doubly-interested in the Dune game system, since it's the sibling system, mechanically. New to Dune - I have core book and a few supplements but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

• Would you prefer to be a core story player or a out of session rival house that plays by email/forums/solo sessions?
Rival house with the possibility of being more regularly involved, but I have young kids, a tough commute, and I'm in EST time zone, so being a correspondence player within my night owl time seems more my speed for the time being, rather than long sessions.

Very, but been a few years. Read all the Herbert books and most of the Brian/KJA prequels/sequels/interquels until falling off before the Great Schools of Dune trilogy. Seen the movies/miniseries. Played the CGC in high school!

Purple goose.

Intrigue, diplomacy, infiltration with a bit of combat/assassinations, some economic management maybe.

Switching game systems/campaign plots when they get bored but the players are into it.

Sure! Not a dealbreaker if not though.

Usually over, but with my toddlers and cats spinning out the whole roll, can see the strategy behind under.

• Briefly tell me about yourself.
I'm 39 and I live in rural New Hampshire on a 5-acre homestead with my family and pets. I run an English language program for immigrants and refugees in the city, and taught college English before that; I have degrees in linguistics and creative writing. Longtime gamer, in addition to RPGs: MtG, lots of board games, 4x strategy computer games. Lifelong scifi fan and film geek. I definitely drink too much coffee.

Noidomoro
November 2nd, 2023, 04:13
• How long have you been roleplaying? Are you a new or veteran player?
I've been playing since I asked my parents in Elementary School to buy me the Roleplaying game that came in the Red Box, I didn't get the D&D red box I was hoping for, instead I got something so very much better GAMMA WORLD red box and because of my Parent's mixup survived the ensuing Satanic Panic. As such I found myself one of those forever GM's. I would say I'm a veteran... but not as a player, if that makes sense.

To be honest I would love to play as a core story player, however I would be happy to try out of session.

Very Familiar. I started with Dune back in Junior High, and expanded from there. I was happy to read the House books as well as the Butlerian Jyhad, although I have to confess I did listen to the unabridged version first before going back to read it for myself later.

Tough one. A Blue Hippopotamus

Story Investment, Character Growth, Watching for the long term Pay-off. If Dune has taught me anything. Patience......

Not letting the Dice lay as they are played. Sometimes life doesn't make sense. Why should our imagination?

I do. I enjoy watching players reactions and responses, that said I am just as happy to savor those really good theater of the mind moments.

Under. If only to watch my wife look at me like I'm a Mass Murderer.

• Briefly tell me about yourself. See below for my bio-share and share-alike.
20 year old wondering why my 50 year old body can't do what it should anymore? Also wondering why people are calling me Grandpa. I don't feel like a grandpa, aren't grandpa's supposed to be wise? Ex Infantry turned Network Engineer turned Farmer. Living in Central Canada with 3 quarter sections of land with my Highland Cattle and Andalusian Horses. Married to another Ex Military (yes we met in the military) had 4 children raising 2 foster children with 1 grandchild. Still hang with my Junior High Roleplaying buddies whenever I get the chance but seeing as we are starting to die off.... I figure I might need to expand my circle. Love board games... and some video games... Also Worked for GW for several years and still love the lore.