PDA

View Full Version : A few problems in customizing Fantasy Grounds

Qualdan
February 9th, 2008, 18:13
I've hit a bit of a "snag" when trying to customize Fantasy Grounds to my liking. I've included a screenshot to illustrate the problems. And here they are:

PROBLEM 1:
I added a new lighting and copied the "ui_utility.xml" and "graphics.xml" under my own ruleset-folder (and made all the correct changes in the other xml-files). I also added the new picture for it. This works perfectly as seen in the screenshot as number 2.

But since I did this, the token-box loses the tokenbag-section as you can see in the screenshot as number 1. If I move everything back to where they came, the tokenbag emerges, but I lose the custom lighting (even though the changes are in place in the "ui_utility.xml" and "graphics.xml" -files).

PROBLEM 2:
Second problem is more of a personal thing: I have a severe arachnophobia (meaning I fear spiders) and the spider-logo on the minimized npc-token (number 3 in the screenshot) gives me serious creeps, so I don’t want to use it. You can see from the screenshot (number 4) that I’ve already changed the book-cover of monsters.

I tried to change the picture (in data/icons), but Fantasy Grounds STILL uses the same original picture, even though it doesn’t exist anymore and a new picture replaced it. How does it do that?

VERSION:
Oh, and I'm using the 1.05f -version since I made my own ruleset for it and it won’t work on FGII without major modifications (and currently I haven't got the time or the energy to redo it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kalmarjan
February 9th, 2008, 18:35
It has been a while since I last made developments for FGI, but the icon you are looking for is not in data/icon, but in icon folder of your ruleset. There is only 6 in that folder, (IIRC), so you should be able to change it there.

Sandeman

Sigurd
February 9th, 2008, 19:23
I can understand not wanting to abandon all your work for the new edition. My thought is that you will find far more players for the new version and people are unlikely to go back.

Sigurd

Qualdan
February 9th, 2008, 20:11
I can understand not wanting to abandon all your work for the new edition. My thought is that you will find far more players for the new version and people are unlikely to go back.

I'm not upgrading to FGII because I play with friends that I used to play face-to-face, but can't anymore since I moved to another city. We will all probably uprage after I've finally had the time to modify the ruleset.

Stuart
February 9th, 2008, 20:20
We will all probably uprage after I've finally had the time to modify the ruleset.

Trust me ... trying to convert an FG ruleset to FGII ... "uprage" is most definitely the word :(

Good luck, I have not had the time to do mine.

Qualdan
February 9th, 2008, 20:20
It has been a while since I last made developments for FGI, but the icon you are looking for is not in data/icon, but in icon folder of your ruleset. There is only 6 in that folder, (IIRC), so you should be able to change it there.

Yeah thanks, that worked. Can't imagine why I didn't think that myself.

Qualdan
February 10th, 2008, 03:01
Okay, now it seems that if I want to have the custom lighting or the changed monster-icon, I need to lose the tokenbag-section in the token-box.

If I use the files "ui_utility.xml" and "graphics.xml" which are in my ruleset -folder, tokebags stop working. If I use the ones in the "data" -folder, I can't make any modifications that show up.

Any ideas?

I have to say, that it was amazing how fast the previous answers came. I was ready to wait a day or possibly two before getting an answer. The community-spirit here is real.

Sigurd
February 10th, 2008, 03:57
...I can't make any modifications that show up.

Any ideas?

I think there have been a few FG1 threads around since the change but many have been archived. Most people who would try to help you are remembering from their dim dark past. They are amazing resources but you're working on an Edsel when they're trying to tune Jaguars. They may not remember to help you and they won't discover it in what they're doing now.

If I find anyone else having problems with FG1, I'll send them to this thread :p.

Good luck.

Sigurd

kalmarjan
February 10th, 2008, 05:45
Okay, now it seems that if I want to have the custom lighting or the changed monster-icon, I need to lose the tokenbag-section in the token-box.

If I use the files "ui_utility.xml" and "graphics.xml" which are in my ruleset -folder, tokebags stop working. If I use the ones in the "data" -folder, I can't make any modifications that show up.

Any ideas?

I have to say, that it was amazing how fast the previous answers came. I was ready to wait a day or possibly two before getting an answer. The community-spirit here is real.

Now, this is going way back into my latter days, but the problem you may be facing has to do with the XML normalizing in FGI. FGII put all references to the ruleset as localized to the folder in which the ruleset resides. IIRC, in FGI, if you make changes to your data folder, you had to go back to all the xml files and change any path information from "../data/file.xml" to "rulesetname/data/file.xml".

This then pointed FG in the direction of the custom ruleset, otherwise the default behavior pointed to the d20 ruleset.

Try that out and see if it works... I for one was glad when they changed the formatting in FGII, because it meant that if I wanted to change the ruleset name, I did not have to go through all the xml files and change the paths...

Sandeman

Qualdan
February 10th, 2008, 18:02
if you make changes to your data folder, you had to go back to all the xml files and change any path information from "../data/file.xml" to "rulesetname/data/file.xml".

This then pointed FG in the direction of the custom ruleset, otherwise the default behavior pointed to the d20 ruleset.

I made the changes in the xml -files, like this: <icon name="minimized_npc" file="rulesets/myrules/icons/minimized_npc.png" />

The problem appears when I change the a line in "base.xml". If I point it:
<includefile source="data\graphics.xml"></includefile>
the minimized-icon doesn't change, but the tokebox works like it should. But if I point it to
<includefile source="rulesets\myrules\graphics.xml"></includefile>
the minimized-icon works, but tokebox doesn't.

And I've made sure both "graphics.xml" -files are identical in contents. Weird, huh?

But I really appreciate your help, even though I'm a blast from the past. It sounds like I have to seriously consider upgrading my ruleset to FGII.

Foen
February 10th, 2008, 21:33
My guess is (and it has been too long for me away from FG1 to call it more than a guess) that graphics.xml has some relative paths, and moving it breaks the relationship, even if the two copies of the files are identical, because the copy is relative to a different location than the original.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Stuart

kalmarjan
February 10th, 2008, 22:47
I made the changes in the xml -files, like this: <icon name="minimized_npc" file="rulesets/myrules/icons/minimized_npc.png" />

The problem appears when I change the a line in "base.xml". If I point it:
<includefile source="data\graphics.xml"></includefile>
the minimized-icon doesn't change, but the tokebox works like it should. But if I point it to
<includefile source="rulesets\myrules\graphics.xml"></includefile>
the minimized-icon works, but tokebox doesn't.

And I've made sure both "graphics.xml" -files are identical in contents. Weird, huh?

But I really appreciate your help, even though I'm a blast from the past. It sounds like I have to seriously consider upgrading my ruleset to FGII.

That is probably your problem. If both sets are identical, then you are asking the program to look up a relative path.

What you need to do in your case is this:

1) Make sure your base.xml file has this:

<includefile source="rulesets/myrules\graphics.xml" />
Then make sure that every line reference in your graphics.xml file shows something like this:

<bitmap file="rulesets/myrules\data\frames\chatbox.png" />

It is important that you change EVERY single reference in your files when you are playing with FGI. Unfortunately, there were no relative paths in FGI, so you can imagine the nightmare trying to develop for it. Thank god that FG II works this way.

Now, IIRC, I could not get the lighting to change up in FGI, and I know the way to do it in FGII, so it may be that the devs added the fuctionality into FGII with LUA.

I hope that this helps you out, and good luck. ;)

Sandeman

Qualdan
February 12th, 2008, 14:23
It seems I can get the "minimized_npc" -icon and customized lighting working, but at the expense of the tokenbox.

I changed every line so that they pointed inside my own ruleset and made sure everything was to be found at the correct location. But I can get the lower-side of the tokenbox to appear only when I'm using the standard non-customized version of "graphics.xml" and "ui_utility", which are found inside the original data-folder; anything else and the tokenbox doesn't work properly. The tokens do appear, but I can't create new bags nor does it notice the folders I have made in the tokens-folder.

I'm also wondering why I can't find any reference to the lowerside of the tokenbox (the one where you can place the bags)? No commands in any xml-files or any images that represent it...