PDA

View Full Version : Level Bonuses & Bug

deer_buster
August 30th, 2023, 00:41
With existing Characters, you need to go thru and set the Level Bonus Group for any that are missing the level bonuses, and then cycle through your level bonus options to the correct one.

Bug: Body Development appears to be incorrectly calculating the level bonus. The RM2 Level Bonus is set to Body Development, and at level 5 fighter, which should be +3/rank, it is showing +12 instead of +36.

EDIT: it looks like body development is adding the bonus per skill rank????? So with 12 ranks it is showing +12 for a fighter, but +36 for a healer...both should have +3/rank

deer_buster
August 30th, 2023, 01:01
<deleted>

Dakadin
August 30th, 2023, 01:44
Thanks. I missed making an adjustment for Fighters since they have special rules when I made the change for Body Development to do per rank instead of per level based on this:
I will work on getting it fixed.

Dakadin
August 30th, 2023, 01:52
I typed the wrong number in the Fighter's RM2 Option. I will get a fix uploaded but in the meantime, you can unlock the Fighter record and adjust the Body Development number to 3 on the L. Bonus tab of the Fighter profession.

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2023, 02:36
Just pushed the updated modules. Please run a new Check for Updates.

Regards,
JPG

Dakadin
August 30th, 2023, 05:59
The issue with existing characters not getting the new level bonus groups in their skills should be fixed now and pushed to live. Please update again and let me know if you see any other issues.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 03:26
Haven't been on the boards for a minute. I utilize Rolemaster Companion 2 level bonus and skill groupings for my campaign. The characters that were created before the update weren't affected, but in adding a new character to the group today I noticed the difference. Minor ugh... I used to be able to classify a skill, then highlight the field and Ctrl C to copy it and then just paste it in to other skills. That functionality is no longer there.

Dakadin
September 5th, 2023, 03:38
The skills use comboboxes now for some fields. This won't allow putting in an invalid value so they can't be edited. The nice thing is you can just click on the field and choose an option for the list which is hopefully easier than copy and pasting in the information.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 03:46
I can see where that would work for core. However it did in fact overwrite what I had edited in, and I need to go through each of the players and redo their level bonuses (which I'm doing right now). I can still customize the skill groups and apply it manually. So no worries, just wish it didn't overwrite what was already in. I cant do it from the skill screen, but can do it from the skill development screen (please don't take that away).

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 03:48
The RM companion 2 classifications being, Academic, Arms Law Combat, Athletic, Base Spells, Body Dev, Concentration, Deadly, Directed Spells, General, Linguistics, Magical, Medical, Outdoor, Perception, Social, Subterfuge.

Dakadin
September 5th, 2023, 04:27
Can you show me a screenshot of what you are referring to since I am not sure what you are referring to as far as what not to remove?

If you have existing skills, you should be able to open them and it should use the old fields to update them to the new fields. You just need to go into the XML file for the module and remove the static="true" from the node where your skills are. It is how I updated the skills in Character Law and RM Companion 1.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 05:09
Okay. So, I can go into the skill development screen and add level bonuses to a character based on the skill grouping (pic1). They show up when I open their regular sheets (pic2). When they log in, it reverts to nothing in that field, and an arbitrary level bonus for a skill or two, in this instance spells, which shouldn't receive any bonus in the first place.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 05:10
These bonuses used to stay as they were entered prior to this update.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 05:14
An additional difference we noticed tonight. I like to post the results of a critical roll to the general chat. Tonight they all became GM only. I went into settings, and they were shown as all, however they were hidden. When I changed the settings to GM only, everyone could see them. So it looks like something got switched there.

Settings: Combat: Table Result: Effect Visibility: -ally and - non ally. GM only shows them to all, setting it to all makes it GM only

Dakadin
September 5th, 2023, 05:15
That helps. If you want to manually handle level bonuses then just change the ChL #23: Level Bonus Grouping option to None.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 05:16
I understand these are considered custom groupings, however they used to hold the value I assigned. Now it appears to want to change the bonuses to only a predetermined grouping and doesn't allow for any customization. That kinda sucks.

Dakadin
September 5th, 2023, 05:17
An additional difference we noticed tonight. I like to post the results of a critical roll to the general chat. Tonight they all became GM only. I went into settings, and they were shown as all, however they were hidden. When I changed the settings to GM only, everyone could see them. So it looks like something got switched there.

Settings: Combat: Table Result: Effect Visibility: -ally and - non ally. GM only shows them to all, setting it to all makes it GM only

I will look into that.

Dakadin
September 5th, 2023, 05:21
I understand these are considered custom groupings, however they used to hold the value I assigned. Now it appears to want to change the bonuses to only a predetermined grouping and doesn't allow for any customization. That kinda sucks.

They are mostly customizable. You can choose from 4 different groupings (Core, RM2, RMFRP or RM Companion 2) or chose not to use groupings by setting it to None which sets it to manual. You can also choose 3 different types for bonuses (Core, Stepped or Static). Then you can go into each skill and set which group the skill is in for each grouping type. So if you want to change a skill to a different group then you can do that. Then on the profession you can change the level bonus for each group within the grouping types.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 05:23
Ah! I see that now. There are 2 options on that. One allows me to set it to none,the second requires a rule choice. Havent messed with it as my players are all offline now...

Dakadin
September 5th, 2023, 05:24
Ah! I see that now. There are 2 options on that. One allows me to set it to none,the second requires a rule choice. Havent messed with it as my players are all offline now...

Yeah it should handle any of the options that are in Character Law plus I added one for the RM Companion 2 groupings in case a GM wants to use that and has the skills already setup.

Oh and you can test it without your players connected. Try the different options and see what it does to the level bonuses so you can pick the option you want to use.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 05:26
Okay, I can see now where that can be done. I'll get at it tomorrow and make sure everything looks good, if I run into any problems I'll let ya know. Appreciate all you do.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 05:28
Appreciate that. I had gone through and fixed all the bonuses that were erased, but I had a player come back and it reverted to nothing like in the pics I shared. I'll give it another go tomorrow when I have less bourbon in my system and give it a good run through.

Dakadin
September 5th, 2023, 05:30
I do need to change the skill dev window so it is more consistent but please let me know if you see something that isn't working.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 05:31
Oh, I'll be the first to let ya know if one of my players doesn't beat me to it.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 20:29
After some poking around with one of my players today we settled on a fix for us. We turned level bonuses off and manually enter them under the Misc line on the sheet. We have some homebrew rules that rearranged some idiotic level bonuses. For instance, why would a Mentalist get a +1 per lvl Directed Spells Bonus when their is literally one closed mentalism list that has a directed spell on it and you wouldn't even get it until level 6? And as masters of the mind almost all of their spells are base spell attacks, yet they only get +1? So some classes we rearranged level bonuses to give a better feel for what that class would be more proficient with.

I say all that to say this, is it possible to make a "custom" level bonus option where numbers aren't coded in per class from the options menu. That whatever values are entered into the level bonus line would automatically configure to the characters level?

Dakadin
September 5th, 2023, 20:39
You can change the level bonuses for professions and change the group that a skill is in so it is fairly customizable. I think you can do what you want and still use the automation but if you can't get it to work then just change it to None.

For professions, all you have to do is unlock the profession and go to the L. Bonus tab and change the level bonuses to what you want to use for your campaign. It has all the groupings and groups on that tab so you can adjust it how you want.

For skills, just unlock the skill and change the group that the skill is in for each grouping.

I did receive a PM from one of your players so I provided some information that hopefully will help you get this working how you want. Please let me know if it doesn't and maybe we can get together on discord so I can see what you are trying to accomplish and maybe show you some ideas on how it might be done.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 20:47
Ah! Got it. I'll give that a shot. I would do it on just the sheets, but logging out and loggin back in would revert it. I'll give that a try.

Yeah, that player and I have been friends for 35+ years, dude is an awesome programmer and would love to help in any way he can.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 20:57
"You can change the level bonuses for professions and change the group that a skill is in so it is fairly customizable. I think you can do what you want and still use the automation but if you can't get it to work then just change it to None.

For professions, all you have to do is unlock the profession and go to the L. Bonus tab and change the level bonuses to what you want to use for your campaign. It has all the groupings and groups on that tab so you can adjust it how you want."

I see this now. When I change this on my instance, it will stay that way through updates and such?

Kungsarme
September 5th, 2023, 21:00
Also, quick note, you have "Spells" for the skill Spell list acquisition, set to base spell casting level bonus as a default. It shouldn't have any bonus associated with it.