PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars/Genesys Modules

ransolot
August 26th, 2023, 18:10
Hey all,

So I have the Star Wars and Genesys modules from Forge and I went through and added all the descriptions for skills, talents, NPC's and all that. But when my players connect, they cannot see any of the material I put in there. Is there a way around this? I want them to be able to access that reference material. Thank you everyone!

superteddy57
August 26th, 2023, 18:36
If it's campaign content you would have to share it. The best process is to setup a separate campaign as a development campaign and export it out into a module. Clicking the player module radio will make it available for players to load within FG. I'm not sure the extent of the forge system you are using, but with most commercial systems that is the general way to make vast content available to players.

ransolot
August 26th, 2023, 18:37
Hmm... Maybe I didn't do the player module portion when I exported the modules. I'll have to look at that. Thank you!

superteddy57
August 26th, 2023, 18:39
Even if you didn't, you can drag the green check mark on the module activation window to the module in question on your end to make it available as well.

ransolot
August 26th, 2023, 22:32
They have access to the modules, they just don't seem to have access to what I added to them.

LordEntrails
August 27th, 2023, 15:36
Did you re-update via export the modules each time you updated them? I've noticed a few times that my modules do not update when I do that, and I have to move/delete the existing module and then export. See if the module date and size update when you re-export, if not, try that.

ransolot
August 28th, 2023, 01:13
yeah I did that. It didn't work

superteddy57
August 28th, 2023, 02:30
I would suggest reaching out to the creator of the ruleset and relay this information. They might be able to shed more light on the issues you are facing. When data is exported and made available for players it should make those records available.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2023, 13:08
They have access to the modules, they just don't seem to have access to what I added to them.
If the players are using the modules from the Forge then they won't see your changes - as the changes are specific to the records in your campaign, not in the overall module.

If you edit the module record within a campaign and then export to another module, the edited record is not exported - as you can't export data that is already in a module. If you're creating your own module, have you copied the entries into the campaign before you edit them? Make sure the entries are in the campaign database, then you can edit the campaign records and export to a new module.

ransolot
August 30th, 2023, 02:03
Trenloe! Long time no talk to man. So what I did is I used the base modules for Genesys and then added all the material from there (skill descriptions, talent descriptions and so on), exported them and then started a new campaign and on my end, I can see everything. My players can't though. But what's interesting that I just learned is that if I drop items or talents onto their sheets, they can see the descriptions. But if I delete a skill from their sheet and then drag that same skill back onto their sheet, it goes back to the base of "see genesys core rulebook blah blah"

Trenloe
August 30th, 2023, 11:11
Trenloe! Long time no talk to man.
It's been a while! Hope you're doing well?

So what I did is I used the base modules for Genesys and then added all the material from there (skill descriptions, talent descriptions and so on), exported them and then started a new campaign and on my end, I can see everything. My players can't though. But what's interesting that I just learned is that if I drop items or talents onto their sheets, they can see the descriptions. But if I delete a skill from their sheet and then drag that same skill back onto their sheet, it goes back to the base of "see genesys core rulebook blah blah"
This sounds like there's a mix of the base module and the custom module you've created being active at the same time. For your skill example, the link in the skills tab of the character sheet is not hard coded to the skill you dragged in, there's code behind that searches the available skills data (shared records, open modules, etc.) to find a record to open when you click the link - if it shows one of the base records then that module is also open.

So, make sure that both you (the GM) and the players only have the modules open that they need. If those modules have records of the same name, then they'll need to be extra careful in adding the correct one to their character sheet.