PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Campaign Options for Extensions etc. for a New Campaign

Dax Doomslayer
August 18th, 2023, 20:51
Hi Folks,
I was just curious as to if there was anyway to copy a specific file to keep the chosen Campaign Options that one chooses (when clicking the Gear Icon) and using it for a different Campaign instead of needing to go through and re-choose all the options. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

LordEntrails
August 18th, 2023, 20:54
What I do is just copy the entire campaign folder to the new campaign name. But if you don't want to drag all the other stuff (images, stories etc) just copy the extenstate.xml file from the old campaign folder to the new one.

edit: sorry, extenstate is not the campaign options, those are stored... db.xml. But that will copy NPCs, stories and lot of other things too. You can jsut copy out the <options> section.

Moon Wizard
August 18th, 2023, 20:55
The campaign options are saved in a couple places. (options tag in campaign db.xml (campaign-wide options); CampaignRegistry.lua in campaign folder (per user options)) You can always move them manually if you feel comfortable with that. Otherwise, there is not currently a way to do that.

Regards,
JPG

Nylanfs
August 19th, 2023, 12:54
That would be a useful feature, export / import campaign option settings.

Edit: Hmm, suggestion list appears to be down?

Dax Doomslayer
August 19th, 2023, 14:09
I agree Nylanfs. For extensions/modules you can at least copy "extensionstate.xml" and "modulestate.xml" to keep the what you had. I was hoping for something like that for this but ohhh well...

LordEntrails
August 19th, 2023, 18:01
Vote for the request here; Idea Informer » Feedback 2.0 (http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135436)

Lo Zeno
August 21st, 2023, 11:36
Hi Folks,
I was just curious as to if there was anyway to copy a specific file to keep the chosen Campaign Options that one chooses (when clicking the Gear Icon) and using it for a different Campaign instead of needing to go through and re-choose all the options. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

A very easy workaround, until there's a proper functionality to export/import extensions and themes between campaigns, is to create a default campaign with all your basic selections, and copy that when you need to create a new campaign (instead of clicking "create campaign"). For example, I have a few base campaigns, one per ruleset, each one with the name starting with "__" so that they are at the top of the list ("__5E base campaign", "__Cyberpunk base campaign" etc). The convenience is also that not only the extensions are already selected, but the most common modules can be stored too.

Mytherus
August 23rd, 2023, 02:38
Agreed. I did that for this game I’m starting next month. It was nice not having to set a lot of things like options and the extensions and such. I think this will be my default way from now on.

Dax Doomslayer
August 23rd, 2023, 03:50
A very easy workaround, until there's a proper functionality to export/import extensions and themes between campaigns, is to create a default campaign with all your basic selections, and copy that when you need to create a new campaign (instead of clicking "create campaign"). For example, I have a few base campaigns, one per ruleset, each one with the name starting with "__" so that they are at the top of the list ("__5E base campaign", "__Cyberpunk base campaign" etc). The convenience is also that not only the extensions are already selected, but the most common modules can be stored too.

Thanks Lo!! That's a terrific idea as a work around.

rhagelstrom
August 23rd, 2023, 04:06
I recently updated the power up extension to allow import/export of campaign options

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/726/view

BaneTBC
August 23rd, 2023, 21:56
Wonderful addition, @Rhagelstrom!

Dax Doomslayer
August 24th, 2023, 14:19
I recently updated the power up extension to allow import/export of campaign options

I'll have to check this out, rhagelstrom. Thanks!!

Gawain the Great
September 24th, 2023, 18:40

As others have suggested, this is an excellent idea. Not to be too dense, but might I inquire as to how the export/import functionality works? I've looked through the forum thread for PowerUp (and this one) and played around with it a bit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

rhagelstrom
September 24th, 2023, 19:21
As others have suggested, this is an excellent idea. Not to be too dense, but might I inquire as to how the export/import functionality works? I've looked through the forum thread for PowerUp (and this one) and played around with it a bit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

See the screenshot

Gawain the Great
September 25th, 2023, 04:46
See the screenshot

Thanks so much! I didn’t see those on the Options menu. Good place for them, though.