PDA

View Full Version : Chat Logs

pjrake
February 6th, 2008, 04:22
how can i copy the chat logs to post online for my players to see. i'm trying to keep a "log" of our sessions and this would be a neat way of doing it.

thanks!

-PJ

Foen
February 6th, 2008, 06:19
The chatlogs are saved as html files in the campaign directory (chatlog.html) and can be uploaded to your campaign site - I post mine on the Legends guild forum.

If you are using forum software for you campaign site (like vBulletin) then you might want to do some simple find and replace to make it postable. An example would be:

find: <font color=#000000> replace: {color=black}
find: </font> replace: {/color}

(Note: replace curly braces with square braces, I don't know how to insert square braces without triggering the vB tag replacement!)

Cheers

Stuart

Callum
February 6th, 2008, 09:55
I rename the chatlog.html file after every session, appending the date, so that it doesn't become massive. I then open the file, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, then paste it into a text editor to create an editable document. This allows me to edit out all the whispers, "Campaign saved", etc., and correct any errors before distributing the document to my players. If you search the boards you should be able to find a script that someone wrote for tidying up the chatlog file; I prefer to do it by hand!

pjrake
February 6th, 2008, 10:53
I rename the chatlog.html file after every session, appending the date, so that it doesn't become massive. I then open the file, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, then paste it into a text editor to create an editable document. This allows me to edit out all the whispers, "Campaign saved", etc., and correct any errors before distributing the document to my players. If you search the boards you should be able to find a script that someone wrote for tidying up the chatlog file; I prefer to do it by hand!

you mean actually changing the filename inside the campaign folder? when i load up FG for a new session, does it create a new "chatlog.html" file? i'm just a bit scared of chancing filenames within the folder. what i did was made a copy of the filename and placed it else where and then renamed it. but if changing the filename doesn't affect FG when loading it up then i'll probably change the filename as well.

Griogre
February 6th, 2008, 20:32
If you don't have a chatlog.html file in the campaign when you start it, FG will create a new one.

joshuha
February 6th, 2008, 20:43
That reminds me, I need to finish my chat log parser for FG 2.

Foen
February 7th, 2008, 06:15
I also edit the file to remove whispers, but also any personal player stuff ("yeah, I'm not feeling too well, my {insert embarrasing condition} has being playing up recently" sort of thing) and correcting any errors.

I find Visual Studio has a reasonable find/replace function (and use it for campaign editing anyway) but so should most text editors. Just avoid MS Word if you can, it inserts all sorts of garbage into html files!

Cheers

Stuart

pjrake
February 8th, 2008, 14:18
thanks for the input!

a quick follow-up question: is there a wiki syntax editor that'll allow me to paste the chatlog into it and convert it (with the orignal colors, bold, etc.). i know i can do that with an HTML editor but since i'm posting my logs on a wiki site i haven't figured out how it can done.