PDA

View Full Version : Server hosting

gbhenderson
August 7th, 2023, 17:57
I've been running weekly campaigns on FG for a few years now. Recently, I had to change to a cheaper internet provider, and my uploads are horrible. My players have been accepting of it, but it's really affected gameplay.

Can anyone recommend a cheap plug-n-play hosting service for FG? Something similar to the Forge for Foundry? I simply have too much money invested in FG to just move to Foundry. And my group is comfortable with FG.

I have zero tech savvy, so preferably something where I could get it up and running with minimal fuss.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2023, 19:05
I don't know about free but I found this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58731-Hosting-Fantasy-Grounds-from-an-AWS-Server

Nothing about it seems easy however. And I don't know if it will guarantee faster speeds.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2023, 19:29
There is nothing I'm aware of that is of a commercial level. It's something one can do on their own, but it requires some capability to run your own cloud server hosted by some company like AWS, Azure, etc.

sedgetone
August 7th, 2023, 20:28
Unfortunately going the AWS route is going to get very expensive very quickly. Foundry doesn’t have the GPU requirements that FGU does. Maybe try to slim down the content your sharing, switch to webp and use higher compression.

gbhenderson
August 7th, 2023, 21:39
I don't know about free but I found this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58731-Hosting-Fantasy-Grounds-from-an-AWS-Server

Nothing about it seems easy however. And I don't know if it will guarantee faster speeds.

Yeah, I'd read that one, got confused pretty quick, noticed how much they were paying a month for it, and it became a no-option.

There is nothing I'm aware of that is of a commercial level. It's something one can do on their own, but it requires some capability to run your own cloud server hosted by some company like AWS, Azure, etc.

Yeah, completely outta my league. I know diddly about running anything other than my campaigns :D

Unfortunately going the AWS route is going to get very expensive very quickly. Foundry doesn’t have the GPU requirements that FGU does. Maybe try to slim down the content your sharing, switch to webp and use higher compression.

Pretty much done all that. It improved their load times a little, but it's still pretty bad. If someone logs in late, we have to all just stop until they get logged in. I miss using my DA maps.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the time and suggestions. It's just frustrating when you know what the problem is, and there's nothing you can do about it. Oh well...time to go start up the campaign so they can get started logging in early.

Morenu
August 8th, 2023, 01:06
Ask your players to chip in to get your faster internet? Don’t get a contract so you can upgrade/downgrade as budget/donations allow. We used to have a soda and snack entry fee for TT