PDA

View Full Version : Help with an extension idea (5E)

Singular Perpous
July 28th, 2023, 11:15
First off I'd like to say that i've no idea if this is even possible.

Idea.
When its a PC's or NPC's turn in the combat tracker, I would love be able to see an outer ring that represents the normal amount of movement that creature can take. (I'm confident this part is possible ;))
I would also love it if that ring reduced in size as the token is moved or dropped back on the map as their movement is used (this is the bit I'm not sure is possible)

I can hear people already "why not just use the arrow's or area effect tools?"

This is an Idea to not only speed up player decisions regarding movement so they can see at a glance where they can reach without having to count squares (multiple times if they realize they cant get to where they try on the first time) but it would also let you play without a grid.
There are other reasons but they are my particular hang ups about grid/hex movement and area of effects.

so...Is this possible? and if so, how would I go about making it myself (no coding experience whatsoever) or asking someone to make it?

Thanks all :D

Zacchaeus
July 28th, 2023, 12:29
Without a grid you'd have problems with token size (since without a grid the token would go onto the map at whatever pixel size it was and that could make it either huge or tiny depending on the size of the map); and you wouldn't be able to measure distance (since that is based on the grid and grid size). (I think I'm right in saying this - I have never tested it).

Singular Perpous
July 28th, 2023, 12:42
my bad, I should have been more specific about the grid.

I don't think you can turn the grid fully 'off' just the visibility. so if the grid is not visible and you don't have the tokens snap to the grid, this is what I meant by without a grid.

LordEntrails
July 28th, 2023, 15:06
Correct about the grid, images always have them, it's just if they are visible or not.

Yes you could make the ring, and I suspect you could make it count down. Though the API doesn't track movement distances as far as I know, you should be able to create such a function. But, imo, the challenge would be how do you reset or undo counted movement? Players often start movement one-way and decide it won't work and then want to go another way. Not unsolvable, but a big part of what you would have to consider.

Now, with Token Movement locked, though it's not a ring, you kind of already have a movement counter. And it works if you make the grid invisible too. Have you tried using that instead of the movement ring idea?

As for making an extension... simple ideas that can be done in an hour or two are often contributed by various community devs if they like the idea. But complex ones, like what I think this is, are usually only tackled if they peak the interest of such a person. Occasionally offering money might help, but usually paying full developer rates ($100+/hr) is not feasible because an extension such as this might be anywhere from 10-100 hours. Doesn't hurt to ask though :)

rhagelstrom
July 28th, 2023, 15:34
The undo the movement in a way that isn't cumbersome would be the big headache as LordEntrails said. To further flesh it out however you probably also need swim speed, fly speed. Difficult Terrain, but then the GM would have to lay that out on the map. A way to ignore difficult terrain by effect. A way to increase/decrease movement via effect. Factor in Exhaustion. Consideration of Dash. That is just off the top of my head

It's not impossible for someone motivated but it isn't just a couple hours of work either.

Singular Perpous
July 28th, 2023, 16:07
Now, with Token Movement locked, though it's not a ring, you kind of already have a movement counter. And it works if you make the grid invisible too. Have you tried using that instead of the movement ring idea?

yes I like it but, the main problem i've got with that way is it slows things down quite a lot. And if they make a mistake you've got to start from scratch, lengthening things further like you mentioned.

If that counter could be used when the token lock was off, so it counted distance as you picked up the token, that would be brilliant. would that be possible?

Singular Perpous
July 28th, 2023, 16:11
Thinking about how to simplify what i'm after.

How about when you pick up a token it simultaneously draws a pointer that clears when the token is put back down?

LordEntrails
July 28th, 2023, 16:18
How about when you pick up a token it simultaneously draws a pointer that clears when the token is put back down?
I've not tried it, but if I remember correctly, someone said that is you hold ALT while moving with token lock off it will act like it's on. But that might only be for the GM. Not sure.
Token Locking - GM Approved Player Movement - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net) (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996640805/Token+Locking+-+GM+Approved+Player+Movement)

Zacchaeus
July 28th, 2023, 16:24
Holding the ALT key is only available to the DM when token lock is on. It mimics player movement with token lock on. There's nothing available that shows the movement arrow or distance when token lock is off.

Singular Perpous
July 28th, 2023, 16:33
I've not tried it, but if I remember correctly, someone said that is you hold ALT while moving with token lock off it will act like it's on. But that might only be for the GM. Not sure.
Token Locking - GM Approved Player Movement - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net) (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996640805/Token+Locking+-+GM+Approved+Player+Movement)

Unfortunately not. It works for the GM when token lock is on so they can use it, otherwise the GM can move tokens at their leisure :(