PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial 5e The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying extension

Eldarc
July 15th, 2023, 13:33
5e LotR Roleplaying

This is an extension for 5e LotR Roleplaying game. You will need the 5e ruleset.

DOWNLOAD
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1276/view

FEATURES

Highly automated extension that makes it easy to manage new 5e LotR mechanics.
Redesigned Notes and Log Character Sheet tabs to track Crafts, Shadow, Patrons and Fellowship Points.
New skills in the Skills tab (and some removals such as Arcana or History).
New LotR and Mordor Party Sheet tabs to track Patrons, Fellowship Points, Havens, Journey Logs and Eye Awareness.
New sidebar menus where you can drag and drop from to Character and Party Sheet or Journey Logs new lists such as Crafts, Patrons, Shadow Paths, Events, etc.
Modified existing 5e names, sidebar menus and windows such as Backgrounds, Classes (Callings), Races (Cultures) or Feats (Virtues) to suit 5e LotR data.

Legal Stuff
This extension includes mechanics from the game system it is written for but does not include content and other copyright protected material. This extension is not licensed, endorsed or sanctioned by the games copyright holders. Some parts of the code in this ruleset may be copyright SmiteWorks. You should ask my permission before borrowing code from this ruleset.

Incentiveware
If you want to contribute you can do so here: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/lapantalladelmaster.

Guarantees
There is no guarantee that this extension will do everything you want or expect it to, that the extension will be error free, that I will continue to support the extension, etc. Over time I may find I have more or less time or willingness to work on it.

Things to Note
This is a FGU only extension. It uses some features that are only available in FGU.

This extension has been created by Noalco and Eldarc using Ruleset Wizard by Psicodelix (https://www.rulesetwizard.com/)

CHANGE LIST
Version 1.1 2023/07/19:

Distinctive Features are added to character sheet when drag and dropping a background to its main tab
Some tooltips added to some controls and labels to make it easier to understand how the extension works
Some more skin/theme customizations (WIP)
Some minor bug fixes and improvements

Version 1.11 2023/07/19:

New Option: "Sidebar: Show Spells". Only togglable by the GM
The "Alignment" label in the NPC sheet replaced by "Subtype". Added the "Subtype" filter in the "NPCs" menu.

Version 1.2 2023/07/23:

New Council window. It allows the GM to track specific councils and guides them step by step. If it finally grants XP to the Player-heroes, it can be drag and dropped to the Party Sheet XP tab by the GM and it will be listed in Encounters list to reward the party.
Some not definitive skin/theme changes. Still WIP.

Version 2.0 2023/08/26:

Customised skin ended (or almost)
A new party sheet tab, "Downtime", to manage the Fellowship Phases and Undertakings
Backgrounds list added to Culture "Other" tab where Backgrounds from the sidebar can be drag-and-dropped to. When drag-and-dropping a Culture to the Character Sheet main tab, you're asked for the Background you want to choose among those previously added to that Culture.
Character Wizard modified to suit LotR 5e needs.
New "Rewards" and "Magic" sidebar menus. In "Magic" you can create item Enchanted Rewards and Curses.
New Item sections that are visible/invisible when choosing its rarity (common, reward, famous, marvellous artefact, wondrous item and precious object). "Rewards" and "Magic" elements can be drag-and-dropped onto the appropriate item section.

Version 2.1 2023/09/30

Big UI update and some other changes due to the latest big FG update.

Version 2.2 2023/12/10
The latest update to the Fantasy Grounds extension for playing 5e The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying not only corrects some minor bugs and introduces minor quality of life improvements but also replaces D&D languages with the primary languages of Middle-earth. For new campaigns, these changes will be evident from the start. However, for ongoing campaigns, languages won't automatically update. Please follow these steps to update the languages:

Back up your campaign. Simply make a copy of the campaign folder.
With the campaign loaded, go to "Options - Languages" and delete all languages from the list.
Perform a /reload and the list will be correctly recreated from scratch.

Version 2.3 2024/01/15
Since a recent update of Fantasy Grounds, the new tabs in the Party Sheet were not displaying. Fixed.

Version 2.3.1 2024/04/14
Minor correction that prevents console errors when certain windows were opened or their locks were locked/unlocked.

chipmafia
July 16th, 2023, 00:30
Thanks. This is breaktaking.

Eldarc
July 16th, 2023, 02:08
Thank you chipmafia! I think that all the new stuff is pretty intuitive so it doesn’t need to be explained. But maybe I reckon that just because I created it. Is there something that you wanted me to clarify? Would you like a short youtube (despite of my poor English) so I take a tour through the new windows and controls? Or there’s no need?

chipmafia
July 16th, 2023, 03:27
Honestly, my familiarity with the source material isn't all that great, so I don't know what I'm missing! I've looked around in it and everything seems to be good. I have to relearn how to make modules, but this extension has definitely pushed me out the door. Thanks again!

damned
July 16th, 2023, 15:00
Riders of Rohan Arise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwJOxN_gXc

Eldarc
July 16th, 2023, 17:43
Deeeaaaattthhh!!!

chipmafia
July 18th, 2023, 01:39
You mentioned perhaps making a video. I'm getting ready to run a campaign with folks who are new to Fantasy Grounds and this ruleset. If you made a video, something that would be particularly helpful would be making a character, then leveling it up. As I've been working the with extension and doing some conversion, that is one area I think might present a problem. Thanks again for this extension. It has been fantastic to work with.

Corsair31
July 18th, 2023, 04:49
Things look good so far as I was able to import my own (unfinished) custom mod of LotR RP and used the character wizard to create several PCs. Hoping this can encourage me to finally finish the mod. Thanks a lot for this extension! :)

Eldarc
July 18th, 2023, 09:18
@Corsair31 My pleasure! It feels great to know that other persons are having fun with something you created :)

@chipmafia I reckon that you don't need any video for what you specifically say since that works exactly the same way as in 5e ruleset. You drag and drop a calling (class), culture (race) and background from the sidebar to the character sheet main tab, and job done. I'll upload a new version soon with some minor fixes and tooltips that I hope make the extension easier to understand and use. And thank you for your kind words!

chipmafia
July 18th, 2023, 16:10
If we find issues with the extension, do you want to know about them? I don't expect you to do more than you've done, but if you want to know, where can we post them?

I noticed that the Distinctive Features on Backgrounds aren't added to the Character Sheet under "Features" - it could be that was deliberate.

Eldarc
July 18th, 2023, 16:18
We do want to know. We do appreciate all of your feedback so, please, tell us about everything you find! Thank you!

I don't know if I'll be keeping the extension and for how long, but for the moment I'm still motivated and working on it. As I said, I'm working on a new version with some minor fixes, some extra tooltips and more customizations on the skin/theme.

Regarding the Distinctive Features, yes, that's something I'd like to add in a near future but I reckon that for the moment it's not a big pain in the arse to fill it manually since it means typing 2-3 words.

Thank you!

chipmafia
July 18th, 2023, 16:22
For sure! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. The source material never makes more of them than just a few words, so I won't either. It's all for RP purposes anyway.

Other than that, I haven't noticed anything.

chipmafia
July 18th, 2023, 19:22
Where do you the crafts go on the character sheet?

Edit: Found it. Sorry to bother.

Eldarc
July 18th, 2023, 20:01
No problem!

This is the skin I'm working on. I'm trying to keep the colours from the book.

chipmafia
July 18th, 2023, 20:27
Very nice! Question about the extension. Each culture/calling combo is going to have a certain starting equipment. If I convert the equipment into the module, will I be prompted for those things? If not, I'm not going to bother. That is quite a bit to convert!

Corsair31
July 19th, 2023, 05:24
I am using a lot of Rob Twohy's 5E coding effects as well as my own custom effects and they would normally be accessible under the Spells icon. I am not seeing that in the extension for obvious reasons (Middle-Earth being a low-magic setting after all) and cannot find any other current section where I can access them. Would it be possible to re-add the Spells section and rename it to Effects, Magic or something similar? I've included a screen cap from my custom mod, which uses the older AiME extension.

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 07:24
I see, you drag and drop those "untrue spells" to your actions tab and the spell or non-spell action/effect is created, right? I can see your point. I'll think about it.

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 07:55
New version 1.1 available:

CHANGE LIST

Distinctive Features added to character sheet when drag and dropping a background to its main tab
Some tooltips added to some controls and labels to make it easier to understand how the extension works
Some more skin/theme customizations (WIP)
Some minor bug fixes and improvements

chipmafia
July 19th, 2023, 13:31
I decided to put all the equipment in manually and noticed that the book spelling of "armour" doesn't trigger FG like "armor" does. That's why I was having trouble with it.

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 13:45
I decided to put all the equipment in manually and noticed that the book spelling of "armour" doesn't trigger FG like "armor" does. That's why I was having trouble with it.

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

chipmafia
July 19th, 2023, 13:48
And I dont think it needs to be changed necessarily - I'd rather change the few times its mentions under Callings than for each item.

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 15:01
I am using a lot of Rob Twohy's 5E coding effects as well as my own custom effects and they would normally be accessible under the Spells icon. I am not seeing that in the extension for obvious reasons (Middle-Earth being a low-magic setting after all) and cannot find any other current section where I can access them. Would it be possible to re-add the Spells section and rename it to Effects, Magic or something similar? I've included a screen cap from my custom mod, which uses the older AiME extension.

So noalco, the hard coder of this extension, says that you might still have access to these "effects and actions" from the module menu itself. Could you check it out please?

chipmafia
July 19th, 2023, 15:50
Does the extension handle starting item sets - like Frugal, Common, and Prosperous? If so, how does one make them work? I've tried dragging several items into another item, but no luck.

EDIT: Figured it out - it's the trigger "Equipment Packs"

Is there a trigger to make it into the "Starting Packs" in the Character Creation wizard?

Corsair31
July 19th, 2023, 16:10
I see, you drag and drop those "untrue spells" to your actions tab and the spell or non-spell action/effect is created, right? I can see your point. I'll think about it.

That is correct. There is no rush, so please take your time should you decide to do this.

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 16:37
That is correct. There is no rush, so please take your time should you decide to do this.

Ok, thank you. Having this option, I think it's better not to include the "Spells" sidebar menu since it could be confusing for the great majority of the players who don't usually have Rob2e modules. Since you can still use those useful effects, we'll leave it as it currently is.

@chipmafia I could be wrong but, as far as I know, even the 5e ruleset doesn't have that and you have to pick your items manually. If I am wrong, then we'll see if we can do something to adapt it to 5e LotR.

LordEntrails
July 19th, 2023, 16:55
5E ruleset has item packs, but those can not be created through the UI and have to be created manually in the xml of the module itself. There is a post around here somewhere detailing how to do it.

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 17:06
Thank you LordEntrails. In that case we won't do anything about it and we suggest to do it manually.

chipmafia
July 19th, 2023, 17:23
5E ruleset has item packs, but those can not be created through the UI and have to be created manually in the xml of the module itself. There is a post around here somewhere detailing how to do it.

Making the subtype "Equipment Pack" did everything I wanted it to. I've got a few new players going to start with us and I'm trying to make this character creation a zero-entry pool :)

Moon Wizard
July 19th, 2023, 17:27
Item packs can be created natively through the UI, but the implementation is driven independently by each ruleset. As @chipmafia found, in the 5E ruleset, it's done by giving the item the "Equipment Pack" type.

Regards,
JPG

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 17:32
That's awesome, I'll check it ASAP. Thank you

LordEntrails
July 19th, 2023, 18:01
Item packs can be created natively through the UI, but the implementation is driven independently by each ruleset. As @chipmafia found, in the 5E ruleset, it's done by giving the item the "Equipment Pack" type.

Regards,
JPG
Thanks Moon! I didn't know that enhancement had made it in. I love learning about these new things (that you probably did 2 years ago!)

Corsair31
July 19th, 2023, 19:30
So noalco, the hard coder of this extension, says that you might still have access to these "effects and actions" from the module menu itself. Could you check it out please?

@Eldarc, I have done this and the spells section for Rob2E's modules, my conversion mod, and even the PHB comes up empty as shown in the images attached.

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 22:23
Version 1.11 2023/07/19:

New Option: "Sidebar: Show Spells". Only togglable by the GM
The "Alignment" label in the NPC sheet replaced by "Subtype". Added the "Subtype" filter in the "NPCs" menu.

Corsair31
July 19th, 2023, 23:09
@Eldarc, thank you very much for the rapid response. I can now bring up my mod's effects. :)

Eldarc
July 19th, 2023, 23:30
My pleasure! :) Or should I say our pleasure! Since my mate noalco did it in about 5 minutes.

Keep giving feedback please.

Eldarc
July 23rd, 2023, 21:36
Version 1.2 2023/07/23:

New Council window. It allows the GM to track specific councils and guides them step by step. If it finally grants XP to the Player-heroes, it can be drag and dropped to the Party Sheet XP tab by the GM and it will be listed in Encounters list to reward the party.
Some not definitive skin/theme changes. Still WIP.

chipmafia
August 1st, 2023, 18:19
One thing I noticed today - the Champion class is supposed to pick a "fighting style" and that wasn't automated by the character wizard? By design or did I mess up my conversion?

Eldarc
August 1st, 2023, 18:36
I do not recommend using the character wizard because in D&D 5e you choose your background at the end of the process. On the other hand, in 5e LotR Roleplaying, you choose your background right after you pick your culture, since the backgrounds depend on your culture. So the character wizard is not adapted to that and I don't have any plans to adapt that. I'm an old time FG user and I'm so used to drag-and-dropping content to the character sheet and it works so sweet that I don't think adapting the character wizard is a must. A too big effort for a really small gain, imho.

Regarding the "fighting style" you're supposed to pick, if the 5e ruleset is ready for that, it should properly work if you created the culture, fighting style and all that stuff correctly.

chipmafia
August 3rd, 2023, 11:53
Thanks - we figured it out I think. And I agree with the drag/drop method. For a player who hasn't looked at the rulebook, the Character Wizard is handy, but drag/drop is much better.

Eldarc
August 3rd, 2023, 12:07
Thank you chipmafia. Well, the character wizard is actually better, of course! I love it. But only if it works as expected. And since LotR 5e has some slight changes in this regard, I think it's better to just drag and drop.

We are preparing a new update. It will have some more skin customizations and a new Party Sheet tab called "Downtime" where you can manage the Fellowship Phases and Player Hero Undertakings. I think you'll like it.

LordEntrails
August 3rd, 2023, 15:28
Maybe it would be worth considering the removal of the Character Wizard buttons from the New Character and charactersheet?

Eldarc
August 3rd, 2023, 15:54
Maybe it would be worth considering the removal of the Character Wizard buttons from the New Character and charactersheet?

That might be a good idea but I wouldn't like to deprive anyone who still wants to use the Character Wizard of using it.

Eldarc
August 6th, 2023, 13:48
Things we're currently working on or planning to do during the next weeks:

1. A new party sheet tab, "Downtime", to manage the Fellowship Phases and Undertakings: 80% complete
2. Customizing skin: 90% complete (I know it's not the most beautiful but I think it's more than decent and you can always load the 5e skin you like the most)
3. Adding a "Backgrounds" list to the "Culture" window "Other" tab so, when you'd choose a culture, you'd get a popup window to choose one of the added backgrounds. We also want to adapt the Charachter Wizard for 5e LotR Roleplaying so you can use it with no issues at all. 0% complete.
4. Adapting "Item" window to create and manage (and automate the choices as much as possible) "Rewards", "Marvellous Artefacts", "Wondrous Items", "Famous Weapons/Armours" and "Cursed Items" (please tell me if I'm missing something else). We want to keep, at the same time, useful 5e Ruleset functionalities such as "Equipment Pack"s, but it is possible that some of your current "Item" data has to be redone. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause but I think it will be worth the pain. 0% complete.

If you wanted us to add something more, please tell us. Thank you!

Corsair31
August 23rd, 2023, 04:21
I am using the Character Wizard and while it is not perfect, I think it helps a lot with getting a character done pretty quickly. I would recommending taking a phone pic of your character before committing/saving it, so you'll know what options you picked when you verify your character sheet.

On another note, I am encountering an issue where character tokens placed on a battle map are showing several times larger than their actual size. A medium character takes up 4x4 5-foot squares and a small character takes up 3x3 squares. Please see the attached pic. 58609

Corsair31
August 23rd, 2023, 04:41
I found a workaround to this issue by holding the CTRL key and scrolling the mouse wheel up or down to adjust the token size.

Eldarc
August 23rd, 2023, 13:07
I am using the Character Wizard and while it is not perfect, I think it helps a lot with getting a character done pretty quickly. I would recommending taking a phone pic of your character before committing/saving it, so you'll know what options you picked when you verify your character sheet.

On another note, I am encountering an issue where character tokens placed on a battle map are showing several times larger than their actual size. A medium character takes up 4x4 5-foot squares and a small character takes up 3x3 squares. Please see the attached pic. 58609

Thank you for your report. We'll check it.

We have almost finished the update I commented some days ago. But we'll try to fix the issue you detected before uploading the new version.

Eldarc
August 23rd, 2023, 13:48
Issue found and fixed. The fix will be uploaded with the next update that I hope will be live in a few days.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Eldarc
August 25th, 2023, 08:14
BTW, meanwhile the next update is not live, the best way to fix this problem is not ctrl wheeling on the token but changing its size in combat tracker. A "medium" character should have size 5 but it gets 20, that's the actual issue we've already fixed but not uploaded yet. You should delete that 20 and type 5. 10 for a large character, 15 for a huge one... and so on. Sorry for all the inconvenience.

Eldarc
August 26th, 2023, 19:25
Version 2.0 2023/08/26:

Customised skin ended (or almost)
A new party sheet tab, "Downtime", to manage the Fellowship Phases and Undertakings
Backgrounds list added to Culture "Other" tab where Backgrounds from the sidebar can be drag-and-dropped to. When drag-and-dropping a Culture to the Character Sheet main tab, you're asked for the Background you want to choose among those previously added to that Culture.
Character Wizard modified to suit LotR 5e needs.
New "Rewards" and "Magic" sidebar menus. In "Magic" you can create item Enchanted Rewards and Curses.
New Item sections that are visible/invisible when choosing its rarity (common, reward, famous, marvellous artefact, wondrous item and precious object). "Rewards" and "Magic" elements can be drag-and-dropped onto the appropriate item section.

Fellowship Phases: https://i.ibb.co/YQKzP1d/Fellowship-Phases.jpg
Cultures and Backgrounds: https://i.ibb.co/fngh4rs/Culture-Backgrounds.jpg
Character Wizard: https://i.ibb.co/xghgwJV/Wizard-Culture-Backgrounds.jpg
Item New Sections: https://i.ibb.co/qMqTqZs/Item-new-sections.jpg

Eldarc
September 30th, 2023, 10:48
Version 2.1 2023/09/30

Big UI update and some other changes due to the latest big FG update.

Eldarc
December 10th, 2023, 00:24
Version 2.2 2023/12/10

The latest update to the Fantasy Grounds extension for playing 5e The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying not only corrects some minor bugs and introduces minor quality of life improvements but also replaces D&D languages with the primary languages of Middle-earth. For new campaigns, these changes will be evident from the start. However, for ongoing campaigns, languages won't automatically update. Please follow these steps to update the languages:

Back up your campaign. Simply make a copy of the campaign folder.
With the campaign loaded, go to "Options - Languages" and delete all languages from the list.
Perform a /reload and the list will be correctly recreated from scratch.

If you believe that additional languages should be added (or removed), or if a language's font needs to be changed, or if you have any other related suggestions, please feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!

Eldarc
January 14th, 2024, 23:28
Version 2.3 2024/01/15
Since a recent update of Fantasy Grounds, the new tabs in the Party Sheet were not displaying. Fixed.

Eldarc
April 14th, 2024, 20:34
Version 2.3.1 2024/04/14
Minor correction that prevents console errors when certain windows were opened or their locks were locked/unlocked.