PDA

View Full Version : Problems connecting.

Malken
January 31st, 2008, 23:55
I have fantasy grounds II v2.1.0 Lite. Ive connected into 2 other sessions (one through hamachi), and 1 directly and never had problems. Today I couldnt connect into a sessions, I kept getting the connecting to host..... followed by could not connect to host msg.
Other players seemed to connect to the same server fine. Ive disconnected my router to make sure it's not the router blocking it, and Ive selected Zone Alarm to allow Fantasy Grounds to pass through.
When I do a cmd netstat -n command, I see my computer sending the message through port 1802. Any ideas what it could be?

Griogre
February 1st, 2008, 02:54
The site was apparently offline for about 5 hours today. The alias server is also on the site server and is usually down when the web site goes down. Were you trying to use the alias? The alias is nice but should the alias server be down you can still connect directly to the host via his direct external IP number.

Malken
February 1st, 2008, 03:20
hmm don't think that is the problem, but I could be wrong. Is it still down at 10 20 pm ET?

Griogre
February 1st, 2008, 03:41
I think it is up now. I just saw GoblinKings post and wondered. It is very rare for the player to have a problem connecting to the host. Can you connect to someone else?

Malken
February 1st, 2008, 04:26
Didnt try, you got a sever I can try on?

Griogre
February 1st, 2008, 18:31
Sure I'll set one up for you. PM me and we'll set up a time.

Natascha_89
February 10th, 2008, 14:20
I can't connect either. I have fantasy grounds II v2.1.0 Lite but it's not connecting to a full version host. or at least not to my dm's one. what can we still do there is no protection in the way of a possible connection.

Oberoten
February 10th, 2008, 15:28
Are you connecting from a campus network or something like that? Have you checked www.pcflank.com (https://www.pcflank.com) and portscanned 1802 with the program running for both you and the GM?

Natascha_89
February 11th, 2008, 22:16
I haven't checked it like that. I'm not logging in from a campus network but from another country. I live in the Netherlands and so does my gm. so maybe that could be a problem? does anyone know anything about logging in from other countries? does it pose a different problem maybe?

Griogre
February 11th, 2008, 22:51
As a general rule it does not matter where you live. The exception is that some areas like parts of Eastern Europe have ISPs that don't give their subscribers a direct connection to the Internet. Instead they connect to the ISPs LAN and that LAN gets to the Internet through the ISP's firewall/gateway. The setup is effectively similar to a citywide wireless network or a University LAN where the users do not control the Internet gateway. With FG if you are the host and don't control the gateway to the Internet it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to port forward which means incoming packets from the players are not directed to the host's computer.

There are some solutions to the above problems, but the majority of the hosts connection problems are his ports are not open or his router is not port forwarding successfully. Running a test at PCFlank will held determine if the ports are open. I can’t stress enough that disabling modern firewalls/security programs does *not* open ports. I see lots of posts that say they have disabled firewalls, anti virus or other security software as if that is suppose to mean something. It’s like saying I cut off my scanner to make things connect. :p