PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air M2 peformance?

nccurtis
July 13th, 2023, 07:41
Is anyone running FGU on a Macbook Air M2? I'm looking to get one, in either 8GB or 16GB ram. I've searched the forums and can find reports about Mac Minis and Macbook Pros but no Airs. I tried running it on my current 2015 Macbook Pro... it didn't go so well :)

I'm concerned that the 8GB version may not be enough with FGU and multiple Chrome tabs open. Also is there any throttling or lag? I'm getting the Macbook mainly as a media consumption device but I do need to play FGU on it a few times a year (I mostly play FGU from my desktop).

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
July 13th, 2023, 09:00
Welcome to the forums.

I don't own a mac so I can't specifically advise; but in general the more memory the better. I think the more important factor is how much memory the graphics card has and what the graphics card can do; the recommendation is 4Gb of graphics memory although you can get away with 2Gb. The recommended specs you can find here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1136984087/System+Requirements

LordEntrails
July 13th, 2023, 15:28
I thought I'd seen some previous discussions on the M2 but I can't find them. From what I remember people were happy with FGUs performance.
There is one known issue with the updater that affects some people. It is detailed here: Mac: App or Updater Do Not Run After Update - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net) (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2108456961/Mac+App+or+Updater+Do+Not+Run+After+Update)

nccurtis
July 14th, 2023, 05:26
I thought I'd seen some previous discussions on the M2 but I can't find them. From what I remember people were happy with FGUs performance.
There is one known issue with the updater that affects some people. It is detailed here: Mac: App or Updater Do Not Run After Update - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net) (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2108456961/Mac+App+or+Updater+Do+Not+Run+After+Update)

I saw discussions about the Mac Mini and Macbook Pro but nothing on the Macbook Air specifically. I'm just concerned that FGU will cause it to throttle (being fanless) and then I'll have a bad time :(

DaddieCat
July 14th, 2023, 13:34
I'm very happy running and playing on M1/M2 Mac devices. But that said. I'm running on MacBook Pro machines.

GregRex
July 14th, 2023, 14:42
I actually use my MacBook Air M1 to run games when I travel, I recommend 16GB RAM. I run things a little 'lighter' than normal limiting shared maps and effects, but it is surprisingly smooth. Especially since it is usually over hotel and AirBnB wi-fi's.

The only 'issue' I have is the Updater not launching properly, I believe this is a known issue currently being troubleshot. I end up manually searching for 'FG Update' in Finder to kick off my weekly updates/purchases.

Trenloe
July 14th, 2023, 16:57
The only 'issue' I have is the Updater not launching properly, I believe this is a known issue currently being troubleshot. I end up manually searching for 'FG Update' in Finder to kick off my weekly updates/purchases.
Sorry if you've tried this before - but have you tried the chmod "solution" here? https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2108456961/Mac+App+or+Updater+Do+Not+Run+After+Update

GregRex
July 14th, 2023, 17:04
Oh ho, I'll need to try that! Thanks for the tip Trenloe!

nccurtis
July 16th, 2023, 02:48
I actually use my MacBook Air M1 to run games when I travel, I recommend 16GB RAM. I run things a little 'lighter' than normal limiting shared maps and effects, but it is surprisingly smooth. Especially since it is usually over hotel and AirBnB wi-fi's.

Thanks for the response. Based on this and other posts, I think I'll go for the 16GB model, if I can find one. Lots of 8GB models available, ones with more RAM seem to be in short supply.

BrettM
August 6th, 2023, 14:37
I previously ran FGU on a MBPro (2016 series) with external monitor and would slow down, etc. I have been running FGU on a MBAir M1 (2020 Series) with 16GB and absolutely no problem. I wouldn't know about 8GB, but in general I would recommend as much RAM as you can afford as, in my opinion, I can always increase my MBAir storage with an external HDD, but not as easily increase my RAM.

All 4+ MacBooks I have owned for the last 15+ years have each lasted 8+ years before showing major signs of performance, although I'm not a heavy gamer.