PDA

View Full Version : Icons...

Oberoten
January 31st, 2008, 21:49
Not quite screenshots. But a little idea of what I am doing to pass the time when I can not sleep.

These will be finished up and then released into the public domain as a replacement alternative to SW's graphics.

jthm0138
January 31st, 2008, 22:21
Those are awesome.. Good work.

Oberoten
February 1st, 2008, 05:26
A slight clarification seems to be needed :
SW in this case stands for SmitWorks, not SavageWorlds.

Griogre
February 1st, 2008, 18:59
Very nice tokens. I really like that look.

And don't you mean Smite Works? :) And by the way everyone knows SW means Star Wars... ;) :p

Sigurd
February 1st, 2008, 19:34
Very Pretty,

I especially like the Skull & Crossbones.

Thanks

Now to make all my insomnia productive !

Oberoten
February 1st, 2008, 21:25
Very nice tokens. I really like that look.

And don't you mean Smite Works? :) And by the way everyone knows SW means Star Wars... ;) :p

That was what I thought too... Until I got a cease and desist. *smirks* yeah... i was a bit pissed. Not anymore though, now I am more amused.

Oberoten
February 1st, 2008, 22:21
And yes, the free icons will be released as a free package, probably here and on RPGzone once they are all done. I am thinking that there might be some versions of them as well, with different materials even with these rendered symbols on them.

Any request as to material combinations? Grey steel? Wood? Glass is one I personally think might be very interesting.

Valarian
February 1st, 2008, 22:52
Glass and/or steel would be great for me ... I tend to play SciFi games at the moment. That said, I do like the wood ones above.

nezzir
February 1st, 2008, 23:10
Glass and/or steel would be great for me ... I tend to play SciFi games at the moment. That said, I do like the wood ones above.
I heard that, a glass and/or steel set would be great. Even a stone set. I took the regular icons and "desaturated" them, turning them from copper to silver. It works ok, but a glass set would be incredible. I wonder if you could even alpha them...

OK, wait though. Did you say you got a cease and desist from DA?

Until I got a cease and desist. You're not serious, right? For what?

Oberoten
February 1st, 2008, 23:22
Basically because someone told them I made replacement graphics for SW's graphics and interpreted it as SavageWorlds instead of SmiteWorks. And more like a growly note really. No lawyer speak in it.

While I *DO* admitt to being rather annoyed at it all at first, now I kinda find it humorous.

Oberoten
February 1st, 2008, 23:24
I heard that, a glass and/or steel set would be great. Even a stone set. I took the regular icons and "desaturated" them, turning them from copper to silver. It works ok, but a glass set would be incredible. I wonder if you could even alpha them...

Right. I will get started on a glass/steel version once I am done with the basic shapes. It is pretty easy to just change the materials once the shapes are done.

Oberoten
February 1st, 2008, 23:31
There.. A bit more of a show of how far I have managed to come.

Oberoten
February 2nd, 2008, 00:53

Yes, they are alpha-able. Very nice...

Some alternative version I whipped up...
The one on the far left is transparent.

Oberoten
February 3rd, 2008, 23:01
Halfway there.

Valarian
February 3rd, 2008, 23:19
Basically because someone told them I made replacement graphics for SW's graphics and interpreted it as SavageWorlds instead of SmiteWorks. And more like a growly note really. No lawyer speak in it.
What? As long as you're just doing totally original replacement graphics, and not redistributing DA's code or graphics, I can't see why they should have a problem. Surely people can use their purchased Savage Worlds ruleset and drop their own graphics in to change the flavour of the desktop to suit a Rippers or Necessary Evil campaign instead. Or even, a custom horror or sci-fi toolkit game.

I like the far right image by the way ... I also like the texture on the far left one, but not keen on the pink glass. Maybe a blue or clear glass instead?

jthm0138
February 4th, 2008, 01:51
If you would like, I could get a copy of those, and see what I can do with the pro tools we have here, I know we have some nifty glass effects. and some of the plastic FX we have are pretty spiffy as well.

nezzir
February 4th, 2008, 02:22
Blue and clear glass for sure! I dig the one on the right too.

Oberoten
February 4th, 2008, 07:23
What? As long as you're just doing totally original replacement graphics, and not redistributing DA's code or graphics, I can't see why they should have a problem. Surely people can use their purchased Savage Worlds ruleset and drop their own graphics in to change the flavour of the desktop to suit a Rippers or Necessary Evil campaign instead. Or even, a custom horror or sci-fi toolkit game.

I like the far right image by the way ... I also like the texture on the far left one, but not keen on the pink glass. Maybe a blue or clear glass instead?

The glass is actually red, but the basic look when on a white background goes rather pink... Especially when I make it very translucent.

I think there will be a few versions of these with different materials. (I made separate objects so I just have to drop them together properly.)

And... I am considering making kind of little "wooden signs" just for the heck of it. :) Might be useful for a western-style campaign.

Oberoten
February 4th, 2008, 07:53
A small example of the western-style icons.

Oberoten
February 4th, 2008, 08:08
If you would like, I could get a copy of those, and see what I can do with the pro tools we have here, I know we have some nifty glass effects. and some of the plastic FX we have are pretty spiffy as well.

Once I release these they will be open to distribute or do whatever anyone wants to with them as long as they include a note saying that I made them.

Valarian
February 4th, 2008, 08:18
A small example of the western-style icons.
I like this ... definately good for a western game.

Griogre
February 4th, 2008, 19:37
Actually, I like the wood also for a Pirates of the Spanish Main game too.