PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious new ruleset

nezzir
January 30th, 2008, 17:49
In the name of the Emperor, it shall be done.

MrJamela
January 30th, 2008, 18:08
Nice....I'm waiting for the copy I ordered....

Jaime

blue_lifesaver
January 30th, 2008, 18:18
Wow...that looks awesome...=)

Camojoe
January 31st, 2008, 03:51
Looks good!!!!

banebridge
January 31st, 2008, 19:00
That's awesome. You must be excited about the upcoming 40krp. :)

blue_lifesaver
January 31st, 2008, 19:53
upcoming?..it's already here good sir!!..and gone...=(

nezzir
February 1st, 2008, 21:29
The ruleset is coming along nicely. The main character sheet is almost complete. Fortunately, the new system is very similar to WFRP2, so putting the new character sheet together is not a from-scratch project.

Here's a screenshot that shows the completed front page and the various mini-sheets. There are still a couple of things that need to be done to the combat tracker, but in all, it's going very smoothly.

Some notes:
The little star in the upper-right corner is for the mini-sheet.
The "Advancement" fields in the experience tracker box is scrollable.

My biggest problem is that I've been so efficient with information placement that I have "reserved" boxes that have no data to go in them. I suppose I'll leave them blank for now for future expansion, ideas, or input from other players/gms.

Still left to do:
Combat tracker odds and ends
A few sub-screen graphic replacements (which I'm simply "desaturating" at this point)
Skill and Talent replacements
Reordering of the spells (psych) tab
Sample databases (for future population - Enemies, Psych, Screen, Core Rules, Equipment)
GM/Player Screen module (which I think I'll farm out to the community for population)

blue_lifesaver
February 2nd, 2008, 02:41
Damn that's looking great!! Sheesh your doing it in record time!! Ya think I was holding your dog hostage or something!! (for your good work so far...i'll give little fluffy some food now..) :p Char sheet looks awesome!! Let me know if I can help transcribe text for you or something

nezzir
February 2nd, 2008, 08:03
If you (or anyone else) wants to contribute, here are some ideas for things I'd like to package with the ruleset:

Tokens (a few sci-fi guys and some heretic types with pistols and rifles)
Sci-fi maps (interior, city, hive)
A good story (that could be converted to a scenario and packaged with the ruleset)
A quick reference screen (in excel format would be ok - I could convert it to a module)
Custom art work (that can be displayed during a game in picture format)
An introduction to the 40k world (that could be packaged in a module format and read to new players to introduce them to the 40k universe)

Damn that's looking great!! Sheesh your doing it in record time!! Ya think I was holding your dog hostage or something!! (for your good work so far...i'll give little fluffy some food now..) :p Char sheet looks awesome!! Let me know if I can help transcribe text for you or something

nezzir
February 2nd, 2008, 08:40
Here's another new screenie with the screen stretched across my dual monitors to show as much as possible. You can see that the quick key slots at the bottom of the screen don't much like being stretched out.

As you can see from the screenshot, I still have work to do on the NPC sheet. There's also still quite a bit to do on the sheets under the front page, though I've already fixed the combat tracker issues.

I'm thinking on adding attacks and movement to one of the reserved boxes just so they will port to the tracker and mini-sheets properly. Any input while I'm still in dev phase would be welcome. Once I zip it up, I'll probably call it a day.

Help: I've talked to a couple of different GMs that have the same problem I do (with many different rulesets). It seems that when you stretch the screen across multiple monitors in a dual or tri-head configuration, you get terrible lag. I could barely move things around the screen after I stretch across my two screens. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Edit: Just a note on the "grey" color scheme. I had my reservations at first. It looked kind of drab, however, when you open a color map on it and drop some tokens it makes them JUMP out at you! It really lends focus to color handouts and other module goodies. It sort of takes the focus off of the ruleset and puts in on the content where it belongs. I hope you like it :)

nezzir
February 3rd, 2008, 22:10
The ruleset is complete. It will be uploaded to Azurea in the a.m. hours of 2/4/08.

Hope you enjoy it. Run a game for me :)

Tailz Silver Paws
February 8th, 2008, 01:36
How stupid can ou get, the same day GW releases their RPG game, is the same day they can it. Hahahahaaa!

Griogre
February 8th, 2008, 02:27
The people who dropped the game weren't Games Workshop. It was the guys with the licence for the RPG. If GW is still the same, the licensee probably was happy to get out of the relationship *and* lost money.

Nojo
February 8th, 2008, 05:11
This looks sweet. I'm GMing my frist DH game at a game store on the 19th. I would love to be a player here...

blue_lifesaver
February 9th, 2008, 13:38
Actually it was GW who canned it. You see Black Industries is a sub-divison of Games Workshop. Apparently last year GW took a big loss and even made the financial news in England. So they are "tightening their belts" Don't get me wrong, I think they are idiots for closing down a project that has sold out twice in mere days (limited edition and first printing). However, GW has always put their interest in their 40K/Fantasy Mini games and others are thrown to the sidelines...just like the original WFRP,Bloodbowl,Necromunda,Battlefleet Gothic, Mordheim,Warmaster,etc...Let's just hope Green Ronin can pick up the license..but again GW is a pain in the butt when they license out their product..good example was Hogshead who had WFRP for a short time.

Griogre
February 9th, 2008, 18:15
Ah sorry, my mistake. I know GW is a pain to work with and I didn't bother checking to see who Black Industries was. GW makes some good games but the way they treat distributors and retailers in the USA is just stupid (I can't speak for overseas). I think working with these guys is asking for trouble.

Mellock
February 10th, 2008, 13:08
I once walked into a Warhammer store in Amsterdam and that was a really weird experience. Me and my friend got practically jumped by two of the salespeople, and it was all "Buy! buy! buy! and join the fun! fun! fun! or get out! out! out!" We practically ran out of the store. The guy in my local gamestore, who only carries GW as part of the stock, later explained how they worked on a comission system, and that GW has some pretty agressive sales techniques.

I never looked at anything from GW after that, but it seems I'm a minority, since they're gaining ground in every gamestore here. (It's what the kids want to play, and GW has these special days, where they explain how you can "make your army so much better, going from a 500 to a 1000 point army" or something. -- For the small price of a few 100 bucks.)

Tailz Silver Paws
February 12th, 2008, 02:53
I never looked at anything from GW after that, but it seems I'm a minority, since they're gaining ground in every gamestore here. (It's what the kids want to play, and GW has these special days, where they explain how you can "make your army so much better, going from a 500 to a 1000 point army" or something. -- For the small price of a few 100 bucks.)
The staff are also paid peanuts. But the sales method works, else they would not be using it.

Lets face it, GW's WH40k and WH are todays, Kiddy Crack - the little rug rats love the stuff. But when they grow older and more mature, most players come to see GW for what it is, and their games system for what it is, and end up moving off to more complex games.

Also the kids are into GW games while mum and dad are buying the toys, as soon as the kids have to buy their own models they discover how over priced those GW toys really are, and that other games systems give you far more bang for your buck.

nezzir
February 12th, 2008, 03:21
So... I take it the two of you won't be joining us for the Dark Heresy games.

Tailz Silver Paws
February 12th, 2008, 03:37
So... I take it the two of you won't be joining us for the Dark Heresy games.
Nah, I find it hard enough to find the time to do my own stuff. Sorry.

draeven57
February 16th, 2008, 03:16
First of all let me just note that Dark Heresy is a beautiful and exquitely dark game! I haven't had this much fun reading a new rpg rulebook since... since... well, since the current edition of WHFRP!

Secondly, Nezzir... what can I say? Incredible work in such a short amount of time! I want to play! Anyone have an open slot?!

Awesome job! As usual...

nezzir
February 16th, 2008, 08:55
First of all let me just note that Dark Heresy is a beautiful and exquitely dark game! I haven't had this much fun reading a new rpg rulebook since... since... well, since the current edition of WHFRP!

Secondly, Nezzir... what can I say? Incredible work in such a short amount of time! I want to play! Anyone have an open slot?!

Awesome job! As usual...
I serve the Emperor. Ave Imperator.

If someone drops out of the Tuesday night game, or if there's room, I'll PM you. We're wrapping up an Evernight/Savage Worlds before we start.

Flannel
March 11th, 2008, 19:17
I am all sorts of in-love with Dark Heresy... great setup. Great stuff. I read "The Inquisition War" trilogy back in the day, and this just speaks to me as an RPG.

How do I get that ruleset?

nezzir
March 13th, 2008, 06:29
My sig.

There's still a problem with the talent tab and selections not being saved. I haven't had a lot of time to look at it, but the problem seems to be a bit beyond my scripting skills :(

unheilig
March 15th, 2008, 00:47
My sig.

There's still a problem with the talent tab and selections not being saved. I haven't had a lot of time to look at it, but the problem seems to be a bit beyond my scripting skills :(

Not much to say except THANKS for doing this project, I love both WFRP and Dark Heresy.. You guys Rawk..lol, now I can play till a ripe old age if just only online and not feel silly playing with the kiddies...:D