PDA

View Full Version : Complicated Sound Setup

Thomas Kopp
June 25th, 2023, 14:30
Hi,

I am using the D&D 5E Ruleset. My Question is: Why isn't it possible to stream Sound (OneShot Effects) and Music within FGU? The settings are too complicated, even for Bryce (very confusing video on youtube) if you dont want to use Syrinscape. You need an AddOn from the Forge, Virtual Audio Cable, VLC 2.0 and KenkuFM and Discord. Alle these have to be configurated. I finally managed to get things work, but why is it so complicated???

I like FGU very much because of all the automated tasks in the 5e Ruleset and I really like the animated maps and the Sound triggers...but the sound sytem is horrible.

Sorry for my English....

Zacchaeus
June 25th, 2023, 14:44
Because Unity, the engine on which Fantasy Grounds is built, doesn't support sound streaming to connected clients.

Griogre
June 25th, 2023, 15:39
It also doesn't have to be that complicated. All you should need if you have a full monthly subscription to Syrinscape is Syrinscape and the FG modules by Smiteworks. You share the Syrinscape link to your players and control Syrinscape from the FGU triggers from the links from the Smiteworks modules. That, I'm pretty sure, was the expected use case by Smiteworks.

Now if you do want to play local sounds from your computer in place of Syrinscape on Discord or mix in other sounds from different sources and not just Syrinscape - then, yes, you do need the Forge extension and VLC 2.0 to play local sounds, audio cable to send the output to Kenku FM to use as a sound board and mixer and then send that combined output to Discord. Additionally, you have to change the inputs to the links in the Smiteworks link libraries.

This was a clever hack by forum users and forge developers so users could take advantage of the link library in the Smiteworks modules to use local sounds anyone might already have and then output the results to Discord which many were already using for sound and voice chat. It just seems a bit strange to me that someone would call a hack overly complicated.

However, it would simplify things if Smiteworks supported Kenku FM as requested in this thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?78271-Kenku-FM-support

I would encourage everyone to vote for this on the wish list, linked to in the above thread.

Thomas Kopp
June 25th, 2023, 16:46
Ok, so it's a technical issue. Hopefully Unity will offer sound-streaming in the future. A less complicated free streaming possibility would really be nice.

Laerun
July 4th, 2023, 06:55
Ok, so it's a technical issue. Hopefully Unity will offer sound-streaming in the future. A less complicated free streaming possibility would really be nice.

It's the security and opening of additional ports for audio on a PC vs a web browser. Video games have built in sounds as a part of a dedicated sound set and web based portals handle the security and file hosting within. Fantasy Grounds will likely not happen. The Web Player for Syrinscape deals with this more securely and easier than their previous local player.
The technical issue with sending local audio to Discord or any other way is not going to go away, regardless of the application. This problem existed before the audio integration.

Mike Serfass
July 4th, 2023, 15:38
For local sound files I use just VLC 3. I set VLC to be the default player for mp3 files in Windows. In Discord, I add VLC as a registered game then turn on streaming. The players join the stream in Discord. That's it.
I use BattleBards as my soundboard for music and ambience.
That doesn't do as much as the extension, and the extension will probably add even more functionality over time, but my relatively simple setup works.

Mytherus
July 5th, 2023, 17:40
It’s not that bad. I say that now because I have everything documented step by step should my pc die and I have to set it up again. The steps look long but after you go through them you realize it’s all done within 15 minutes.