PDA

View Full Version : Chat Triggers for Specific Types of NPCs

Lawlesslisa
June 23rd, 2023, 16:37
I was wondering if there was a way to make it so a sound trigger would only fire for a specific type of monster.

I am using PF1 and would like to make the Wet slam attack sound trigger when only a Medium Ooze (or any Ooze, really) and the word Slam appears in the chat. I am trying Slam and Medium Ooze as the patterns. It will not fire off if I just put in Medium Ooze in the pattern, but it will trigger if I put Slam in the matching pattern.

Since there are many different creatures that have a Slam attack, I would like the wet slam attack sound to only be associated with Oozes.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your help,

Lawlesslisa

cas206
June 23rd, 2023, 18:42
For the 5E ruleset, I experimented with Zombie with slam attack and Stone Golem with slam attack. There are two lines in the chat output for a targeted attack. The NPC name is in the first line, the results are in the second line. The NPC name is not in the second line. Using just the word slam causes the same sound for both Zombie and Stone Golem. Using just the word Zombie makes no sounds. So it appears the pattern is only being checked against the second line of chat output. So I would surmise that it's currently not possible to do what you asked for.

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2023, 19:31
There are two types of chat triggers that can be used - the generic "Chat" trigger and then the Attack - Hit, Attack - Miss, etc. triggers. As noted by @cas206, the Attack triggers only look at the second chat line - the line that gives the result, and will only trigger if there is a target for the attack as the result line only appears if there's a target to determine the result of the attack.

And, unfortunately, the attacker name in the roll attack line is not actually part of the chat string - it's another field, so it can't be matched in a standard Chat trigger.

So, at this point, we can't have creature specific attack triggers - we can have weapon specific triggers as the weapon name is in the attack result. I'm having a conversation with the main FG dev about this. Hopefully this restriction will change in a future release.

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2023, 19:33
The NPC name in the chat output is technically a different "speaker" field that is not available to check for the sound triggers.

Regards,
JPG