PDA

View Full Version : Sound Chat Triggers

Vass_Dts
June 21st, 2023, 23:48
So, I have been a long time user of Mattekure's Syrinscape integration, and am now looking to convert to the native sound integration.

One thing I have noticed is that it appears the triggering system in not 'listening' for some triggers in the chat.

For instance, one thing I was able to do with the previous extension was to have a chat trigger '[TURN] MonsterName'. For some reason, this simply does not work with the current system. Are there chat messages that the system isn't taking into consideration? Or aspects of the message? For another instance, I have the feeling that it ignores the names of CT Actors.

(Just a heads up, because for many GMs the Turn messages of NPCs are hidden, I have tried it both hidden and public and still it won't trigger).

Trenloe
June 21st, 2023, 23:54
Please provide exact examples of what you're trying to do in the built in system. What you have setup as sound triggers and what's appearing in the chat window that you're trying to match.

Vass_Dts
June 22nd, 2023, 00:14
Here is an example.

Vass_Dts
June 22nd, 2023, 00:23
I have identified a more specific issue in the above example. It appears that certain system messages like [TURN] ActorName don't trigger. But a Regular message will. For example:
As seen in this screenshot, the system message about the TURN does not trigger. But merely typing a regular message saying "[TURN] Fire Giant" triggers the sound effect.

...Why? :confused:

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2023, 00:43
Couldn't you set up a chat soundset pattern for just "[TURN]" to do what you want?

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2023, 00:55
Couldn't you set up a chat soundset pattern for just "[TURN]" to do what you want?

Regards,
JPG
The problem is that the Chat sound trigger doesn't appear to be checked with the Turn announcement text.

Vass_Dts
June 22nd, 2023, 01:04

I don't want a general Turn sound, I want a specific sound when specific NPCs have their turn in combat. But even so, as Trenloe mentioned even that wouldn't work.

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2023, 07:13
I'm not seeing this issue for a general [TURN] sound trigger. See attached image for the URL being called from the trigger I set up. I also tried with "[TURN] Giant Spider", and it worked as expected. See attached images.

Make sure that you don't have any extensions loaded; and let me know which ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

bayne7400
June 22nd, 2023, 13:40
Vass are you using an extension or the native settings to play local sounds? The VLC extension has an issue with how it clears playlist prior to playing the one shot. The author knows about it he is just busy.

Vass_Dts
June 22nd, 2023, 14:03
I'm not seeing this issue for a general [TURN] sound trigger. See attached image for the URL being called from the trigger I set up. I also tried with "[TURN] Giant Spider", and it worked as expected. See attached images.

Make sure that you don't have any extensions loaded; and let me know which ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

Well, tried it again. Clean campaign. 5e. No extensions. (M1 Mac if it matters) Still same problem. The system announcement is not picked up, but a regular message triggers the sound as normal.

Vass are you using an extension or the native settings to play local sounds? The VLC extension has an issue with how it clears playlist prior to playing the one shot. The author knows about it he is just busy.
Bayne, I'm using native integration with Syrinscape. I have been using MK's ext with no issue. Moon Wizard got me thinking if there was some conflict because at the time I had MK's extension and its accompanying modules loaded, but the problem persists even in a clean campaign with 0 extensions.

bayne7400
June 22nd, 2023, 14:06
Can you try and trigger it two or three times in a row? The issue with VLC ext is it clears a playlist and then once playlist is cleared it will play. It could be a core thing and not native to the VLC.

Vass_Dts
June 22nd, 2023, 14:39
Can you try and trigger it two or three times in a row? The issue with VLC ext is it clears a playlist and then once playlist is cleared it will play. It could be a core thing and not native to the VLC.

I'm sorry, it seems I wasn't clear; I am not using VLC, nor did I ever have the VLC extension loaded. I am also not using local audio files. I am using Syrinscape.

ddavison
June 22nd, 2023, 16:04
What ruleset are you using?

Vass_Dts
June 22nd, 2023, 16:55
What ruleset are you using?

5e. No extensions.

Vass_Dts
June 22nd, 2023, 17:07
I also just tried it with a clean Core campaign. Still the same issue. Regular message gets picked up. Actual turn does not.

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2023, 20:44
Apologies. It appears that I had been testing some alternatives to figure out the issue; and had a temporary change in place in my local ruleset that allowed it to work for me.

I've just updated the main FG client to be able to trigger for all messages sent to the chat window, not just those delivered to network. (i.e. addChatMessage vs. deliverChatMessage)

Please run a new Check for Updates, and try again.

Regards,
JPG