PDA

View Full Version : Change default settings part 2

father0fnine
June 21st, 2023, 21:32
I saw a post back in 2020 asking for a way to change the default options -- if a DM always uses the dice tower, there should be a way for every new campaign to start with the dice tower -- and the answer was "no". I'm curious if that's still the case and, if so, why a basic front-end feature such as this hasn't been included.

D

superteddy57
June 21st, 2023, 21:34
At this time campaigns start from a set default based on ruleset code. We have discussed and continue hashing out how or if we would want to do exportable options that can then be either imported or selected. So at this time, the answer is still no with the current implementation to do so within FGU. We are however looking into it and something on our list to investigate.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2023, 21:39
I saw a post back in 2020 asking for a way to change the default options -- if a DM always uses the dice tower, there should be a way for every new campaign to start with the dice tower -- and the answer was "no". I'm curious if that's still the case and, if so, why a basic front-end feature such as this hasn't been included.

D
One way you can do this. Create a blank campaign and set up all of your options the way you like them. Now exit FGU and make a copy of that campaign folder and rename it to whatever you want the play campaign to be. When you want another new campaign copy the original one and rename it, etc.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2023, 22:00
Moved to the Tavern forum as this is a general question about FG. The Laboratory (where it was originally posted) is for reporting and discussing any beta testing underway.

Lo Zeno
June 22nd, 2023, 09:47
One way you can do this. Create a blank campaign and set up all of your options the way you like them. Now exit FGU and make a copy of that campaign folder and rename it to whatever you want the play campaign to be. When you want another new campaign copy the original one and rename it, etc.

I second Zaccheus suggestion as a workaround, until the developers can look into a way to change default options from within the program itself: it's the way I do it, and I name my blank campaigns "__5E base" or "__Cyberpunk RED base" so they appear at the top of the list. Zaccheus's suggestion has the added benefit that you can also set the standard list of extensions you want in your campaigns to be, and have them always selected when you make a new campaign by copying it over.
The disadvantage is that in case you run campaigns for more than one ruleset, you end up creating a blank campaign for each ruleset you normally use - in my case it's an acceptable tradeoff, but it depends on how many campaigns you run.