PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a straight line

zidanee
January 25th, 2008, 23:10
I have tried to search through the FG manual as well as the forum, but still cannot get it - how do I draw a straight line on the map sheet? Yes, I am hopeless with straight line, I need something like "press shift do draw a straight line". Is there something like that in FG?

Griogre
January 25th, 2008, 23:28
I'm afraid FG's drawing tools do not have a straight line setting on the line tool or on the mask tool.

camelon75
January 26th, 2008, 15:16
Can you use a graphics tablet in FG2 ?

Thinking of picking up a cheap A4 one to draw on the fly maps etc and anything else on the fly, notes on maps or general notes etc

Griogre
January 26th, 2008, 19:13
You need to be careful with tablets. My understanding is they are not officially supported but some do work and the developers had done some work to make FG2 work better with them than FG1 did.

I know some people use them. Maybe they can post what tablet they have that works?

Dachannien
January 26th, 2008, 21:21
You actually can get a straight line using the mask tool if you're careful - the line that joins your starting and ending points when demasking an area is always straight. Great for making straight-line demasked boundaries next to walls and such.

Goblin-King
January 28th, 2008, 08:29
Can you use a graphics tablet in FG2 ?
Tablets are supported. The support is somewhat semi-official since we do not have a wide range of devices available for development and testing in house (not many bugs have been reported -- not sure if that is due to the fact that most people use Wacoms or the fact that most people don't use tablets). The pen tool is pressure sensitive and further improvements will take that into account as well.

Thinking of picking up a cheap A4 one to draw on the fly maps etc and anything else on the fly, notes on maps or general notes etc
As far as tablets go, "cheap" and "A4" don't usually mix well :). Cheap tablets (that I've had a chance of testing) are more bother than they're worth, drawing a series of angles where you should have a straight diagonal line, for example. Also, smaller ones can work better than you might guess when used on a computer screen that you can zoom and pan etc. I recommend anything Wacom makes (based on personal experience), and/or trying it before you buy.

Mellock
January 28th, 2008, 13:47
I use the Wacom CTE-440 (the Graphire 4 A6) without any problems. Not exactly what you'd call professional, but pretty cheap, and more than enough for what I do with it. I get by perfectly with it in FG, and in Photoshop, I zoom everything to 400%, which does a lot to offset the inaccuracy.

(It helps that i'm left-handed, so I can use the mouse with my right hand, the pen with my left, and use by keyboard in between.)