PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to animate the LOS instead of it being just black?

MartianXi
June 18th, 2023, 00:46
Just curious if anyone knows of a way to have unseen map sections blocked by LOS have more of a Fog of War effect than just appearing as stark black?

LordEntrails
June 18th, 2023, 01:03
Nope, not yet. Tried thinking of a way to use a map layer with a mask, but nothing I tried works.

MartianXi
June 18th, 2023, 02:04
Alas... I'm so used to seeing everything in DM view that I forget how stark a contrast it is for the player's.

Gawain the Great
June 18th, 2023, 02:33
Just curious if anyone knows of a way to have unseen map sections blocked by LOS have more of a Fog of War effect than just appearing as stark black?

One thing that does work, albeit oddly, is if you put an FX underneath the LOS defining Wall, you can see a bit of the Effect even in the darkness. 57810

You can't see the movement in the still image, but the FX is a triple animated Snow/Water FX which actually moves in the darkness behind LOS. I don't think it's intended to work that way... And it may not help you too much. But if you create a large FX in an area behind an LOS, you could create a sense that there's something going on beyond what is visible. That's how I used it to give a PC using a Detect Magic spell a sense of the location of magic.

Ludd_G
June 18th, 2023, 13:08
I think that if the edges were faked to look 'softened' whilst still actually being a strict divide it would be much more aesthetically pleasing for the players.

Cheers,

Simon

amerigoV
June 18th, 2023, 15:49
I would love if you could put an overlay image as the FOG. For example, you have two versions of town square - one with the buildings and the other with the roofs.

Jiminimonka
June 18th, 2023, 16:23
I would love if you could put an overlay image as the FOG. For example, you have two versions of town square - one with the buildings and the other with the roofs.

You can do that. Turn off the roof layer when the players move inside.

LordEntrails
June 18th, 2023, 17:31
I'm pretty sure they mean having the roof layer be revealed based on LOS. So you see the inside of the rooms/building you are in automatically. i.e. No need to toggle layers.

MartianXi
June 18th, 2023, 18:43
Hadn't considered adding a roof layer, but that's an interesting idea.

I struggle a bit with the LOS and players view. Early on I would map out occluders around the outside of an object/building/wall, but then my players would just see a black void with no reference as to what it was.
Later I learned to move the occluders to the centre of the wall so they could at least see what the obstruction was. Adding a toggleable roof layer would show that the obstruction was a building at least.

I guess you would just add a layer for each room with the roof image and then set "Use Walls" to off so it's visible regardless of the occluders?
Be tricky to cut up the roof image into pieces that lined up with the room below though.

LordEntrails
June 18th, 2023, 19:18
What I like to do is to add terrain occludes to the roofs. If it is peaked, you can add one for each "side". Or you can just do one for the whole roof. That way the players can see the roofs, and know its a building, but they can't see through to the other side.

WinterSoldier7
June 19th, 2023, 12:51
What I like to do is to add terrain occludes to the roofs. If it is peaked, you can add one for each "side". Or you can just do one for the whole roof. That way the players can see the roofs, and know its a building, but they can't see through to the other side.

I think I know what you mean and will have to give that a go.

But yes, I too didn't realise for some time that my players were seeing huge black blocks on the map where buildings or walls were. I do now move the LoS back a bit, so some of the wall is visible.