PDA

View Full Version : 30px tokens vs 128px tokens

Xorn
January 24th, 2008, 11:00
I know the community standard is 50 pixels, but I just found it didn't really match up for me. Since FG2 automatically sized the portraits at 30 pixels, and does the "current turn" highlight to accent a 30 pixel token, I just didn't bother changing it. Plus I use MapX for my maps, which defaulted to 32 pixel grids, anyway. Now with a locked token scale that really doesn't matter, but it came down to image quality for me, really. Because I often found myself zoomed in up to 4x closer on the map, I was finding that the tokens were very, very pixelated up close, and experimented with increasing the token size then scaling them down.

I have been using 128 pixel tokens and locking the token scale to the grid. The pro of this is that when zoomed in close to the map, tokens retain their sharp quality and look great. The downside is that the "current turn" highlight is barely visible on these tokens, and that I have to replace each players portrait as they enter the grid, and if I use any of the letter tokens, they are microscopic. I decided to do a quick comparison of the tokens side by side, which also demonstrates clearly what I'm talking about. I'll finish my talk about it after the shots, but here they are:

Incidentally, if that map looks familiar... well I won't mention where it's from, but I created it from memory using Dungeon Tiles Mapper. I'd love to hear if anyone recognizes it. Anyway... by the time you're looking at the 8x8 battlegrid the difference is there, but not huge, and at a 16x16 grid you can't even tell the difference anymore. Because I'm usually between 8-16 squares across on the grid, I think I might just go back to 30 pixel tokens as my default. Only downside is I have a whole lot of 128 pixel monster tokens made now. Still, I think I'd rather have the "current turn" highlight show up better without having to use a custom ruleset.

Anyway, just wanted to share how I finally settled on 30 pixels.

Tokuriku
January 24th, 2008, 13:41
There is a way to change the default size of the portrait tokens when dragged from the character sheet or the combat tracker. So you could have those tokens appear at 128 pixels if you wanted but you would also have to make your portrait pictures bigger then the standard 63 pixels... The current turn halo can also be made the size you want really. For all these things, you only have to find the icons for the portrait rings and halo and resize them :p

Real simple right.
I had a thread on that but can't link it now cuz I'm typing from my Ipod Touch and there's no copy-paste function yet :(
Just go to my profile and find the thread. I think it will be worth it for you. All the details concerning the way to do it are in there.

Valarian
January 24th, 2008, 13:55
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7582&page=2

Xorn
January 24th, 2008, 15:04
I need to make a custom ruleset to modify the icons folders, right?

Thank you for the link, I remember reading about that a while back, too--but for me I'm finding that it's unlikely that I'm even zoomed in far enough to take advantage of the 128 pixel tokens, anyway. Most of the time I've got a minimum of 320x320 pixels exposed in the map window.

So making a custom ruleset (even one that simple) just seems unnecessary to me. I am glad to see that the halo can be adjusted as well, though.

NineShadowEyes
January 24th, 2008, 17:11
Incidentally, if that map looks familiar... well I won't mention where it's from, but I created it from memory using Dungeon Tiles Mapper. I'd love to hear if anyone recognizes it.

I've seen that before. I want to say it's one of the Basic D&D maps, but I'm not so sure. I also have a vague memory of the 1st ed DMG in the back where you create random dungeons.

kalmarjan
January 24th, 2008, 20:45
I think it looks pretty familiar... see, I ran the RTTTOEE for over a year with FGI. Is it the moathouse?

Sandeman

Xorn
January 24th, 2008, 23:38
I've seen that before. I want to say it's one of the Basic D&D maps, but I'm not so sure. I also have a vague memory of the 1st ed DMG in the back where you create random dungeons.

Close enough for horseshoes or hand grenades, and I'll award the point here. That's the map in the red-box Basic D&D (Mentzer) that came out in 83/84, from the Player's Handbook, after you complete the "choose-your-own-adventure" style solo game to introduce you to Dungeons & Dragons. I remember first sitting at my coffee table in the 4th-grade, home for a week with the chicken pox. It was just me, one of my Dad's kung fu students (babysitting me) and Mentzer's beautiful red-covered paradise for 7 whole days before I had to go to school.

The next Monday Mr. Theiss took my books away for reading them during Science, and while I was in Mrs. Olsen's class for Reading (she became my step-grandmother later, but that's a tangent to this tangent) and we heard laughing from the other room. Mr. Theiss had my books out and was playing the solo adventure while the class was studying.