PDA

View Full Version : Metric system?

Lorthirk
January 23rd, 2008, 00:09
Hi. I'm considering buying FG2... I tried FG1 demo, and I have a concern: is the Metric system (meters, kgs, etc.) instead of Imperial system (feet, lbs, etc.) avaible in FG2, or it will be in the near future? I could provide easy conversion tables if needed...

Astinus
January 23rd, 2008, 04:44
There's no metric equivalent that I'm aware of, and I have never heard anything on these boards about plans for the development of one. The whole D20 system is imperial, and that seems to drive most of the demand for FG2, so a metric system strikes me as unlikely.

If you really wanted to use metric, you could turn off the grid in the program, and then apply your own grids in your graphics program when you're designing your maps. Then your grid could represent anything you wanted. I rarely use the program's grid because most of my maps (from Pathfinder) already have grids on them.

As for weights on character sheets and so on, you could design your own ruleset and character sheets. It's quite a bit of work, but there are lots of people here who can help you with it.

Kalan
January 23rd, 2008, 05:11
There's no metric equivalent that I'm aware of, and I have never heard anything on these boards about plans for the development of one. The whole D20 system is imperial, and that seems to drive most of the demand for FG2, so a metric system strikes me as unlikely.

If you really wanted to use metric, you could turn off the grid in the program, and then apply your own grids in your graphics program when you're designing your maps. Then your grid could represent anything you wanted. I rarely use the program's grid because most of my maps (from Pathfinder) already have grids on them.

As for weights on character sheets and so on, you could design your own ruleset and character sheets. It's quite a bit of work, but there are lots of people here who can help you with it.

You can - with a little code change, change the units on the grid to whatever you want. In the SW ruleset, we went from using Feet (which 99% of d20 uses), to straight Inches (which is what Savage Worlds uses). So it can be done.

How easily - beats me...but the coding guru's around here might be able to help you with that (providing yer not scared of a little challenge :) )

Oberoten
January 23rd, 2008, 10:50
Guys? Someone allready did this... Can't remember the thread or I'd post a link. But all things considered? Yes, it is doable and has been done.

It is a Workshop thread though and needs you to create a custom ruleset.

Lorthirk
January 23rd, 2008, 10:53
Dear Astinus, I assure you that in Italy (but I think I can speak for the whole Europe, at least) D&D rules (and so, D20 rules) are in metrics :)

Kalan
January 23rd, 2008, 11:35
Dear Astinus, I assure you that in Italy (but I think I can speak for the whole Europe, at least) D&D rules (and so, D20 rules) are in metrics :)

No idea on that score mate ;) As every book I have was brought with me from Canada :D But i'd guess yer prolly right ;)

Lorthirk
January 23rd, 2008, 11:39
Moreover, it's a pretty easy conversion... I found the post in the workshop, I could start working on it, depending my GM's decision :)

Oberoten
January 23rd, 2008, 12:17
Very good. :) I think I might actually do something similar myself... Depending on Paces instead. :) Just to be contrary. :)

Lorthirk
January 23rd, 2008, 12:51
If everyone's interested; heres the conversions:

2lbs = 1kg
1lb = 0,5kg

5 feet = 1,5 meters

Astinus
January 23rd, 2008, 17:11

That's very interesting. I grew up in Australia, which is totally metric, and all the role playing materials are in Imperial. As they are in Canada. Maybe it's when they translate the game out of English, then they also transfer to metric? As kids, we would have loved to have it in metric.

Mellock
January 23rd, 2008, 17:23
There's only one English version, and it's all imperial. There's no Dutch version of the books, for instance, so in Belgium and Holland (most certainly metric) we also get the imperial, English books. The French, German, Italian and Spanish versions are all in metric, as far as I know.

WotC has tables for conversion at:
Going metric, part 1 https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040316a
Going metric, part 2 https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040323a
Going metric, part 3 https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040330a
Going metric, part 4 https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040406a

Kalan
January 23rd, 2008, 17:27
That's very interesting. I grew up in Australia, which is totally metric, and all the role playing materials are in Imperial. As they are in Canada. Maybe it's when they translate the game out of English, then they also transfer to metric? As kids, we would have loved to have it in metric.

Funny thing is tho in Canada - we flip flop a LOT. Confused the hell out of my wife when she went shopping in a grocery store the first time. All prices in stores are marked as X per pound, AND in fine print, x per kilo. We don't say fx I'm 170cm tall, and weigh 100kg - usually it'll be 5'10" and 250lb.

It can be a tad confusing for people (on the other hand, everything else is in standard Metric, including distances between cities, speeds...I think I got it all :S )

Astinus
January 23rd, 2008, 19:13
Funny thing is tho in Canada - we flip flop a LOT. Confused the hell out of my wife when she went shopping in a grocery store the first time. All prices in stores are marked as X per pound, AND in fine print, x per kilo. We don't say fx I'm 170cm tall, and weigh 100kg - usually it'll be 5'10" and 250lb.

It can be a tad confusing for people (on the other hand, everything else is in standard Metric, including distances between cities, speeds...I think I got it all :S )

Yup. It's the same with the spelling in Canada. Some American English, some English English, and more often than not, both are acceptable.

Xorn
January 24th, 2008, 18:46
Yup. It's the same with the spelling in Canada. Some American English, some English English, and more often than not, both are acceptable.

I grew up in rural midland United States, where we say, "He's about yay tall, and about 'at big aroun'." :D