PDA

View Full Version : Unable to download modules (player)

TheDocBee
June 13th, 2023, 21:17
I have the same problem.

It used to be all fine, everything worked with the last campaign with the same DM, now i cant really connect.

Moon Wizard
June 13th, 2023, 21:40
It's always best to start a new thread for new issues, since we can then respond to your specific situation.

The console.log file that you displayed is showing a completed connection. Besides that, it's unclear what exact issue you are seeing.

More than likely, if it's something new that is blocking connections and/or module/image downloads, then something has changed in the networking between the GM machine and the player machine. Every networking situation is different, but we've accumulated lots of examples of things to check here. Plus, make sure that Windows Defender is allowing FantasyGrounds.exe to access the Internet.
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1981349889/Network+Troubleshooting

Regards,
JPG

TheDocBee
June 13th, 2023, 21:44
I've checked that troubleshooting thread thoroughly. Nothing helped. Now i have connected but its super slow and while the modules are loading now the map is not loading. I'm going bonkers here.

Neither my nor the GM's internet settings have changed.

One of the modules has loaded, tho others don't seem to want to do that.

And now it's back to square one.

LordEntrails
June 13th, 2023, 22:08
MOD: moved to a new thread.

FG does not control connection speeds. If you are starting in a new campaign, then you have to download all the resources and maps you have selected to download (or the GM has shared with you).
If this is a lot of data, then it can take a long time.

Try to download one item at a time. i.e. wait until the map finishes connecting before loading another. Or wait for one book to finish before loading the next etc.
Try doing this when you are the only player connected, so the GMs bandwidth is not shared to other players.
Make sure none of the firewall or routers are doing any type of throttling (QoS, Parental Controls, Flood Protection, etc)

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2023, 00:05
As LordEntrails mentioned, the connection for FG is directly between the GM machine and the player machine.

If the connection is slow, then the issue is that the raw connection is very slow or error-prone (cell phone connection in busy/distant area; weak wifi in noisy wireless area) OR that the connection is being throttled by the GM network or player network. If it's all players, then it's probably something on the GM network. If it's only one player, then it's probably something on the player's network.

Assuming this is the player's network, this is usually caused by something that throttles the connection to either the player machine or to the FG application on the player machine. It's usually some sort of throttling/filtering being done by either the security software on player machine, the router that the player connects to for network access, or the modem that connects the player's local network to the Internet provider. Typical things to look for as LordEntrails noted above are: Parental Controls, Internet Filtering, Flood Protection, Quality of Service (QoS), SPI Filter, and so on. You would need to look for these settings on any security software installed on your machine (McAfee, Avast, ...) as well as on your network router and the modem provided by your Internet provider.

Even though you say that nothing has changed, network hardware (such as routers and modems) can be updated or reset without changing anything on the local machine. Replacing network hardware, turning the hardware on/off, power outages, etc. can all have an impact and reset some settings.

Regards,
JPG