Maldev
June 13th, 2023, 07:52
G'day all.
Sorry if this has been done before,
Playing in a game today
d&d 4E
Win 10
16g RAM
With extensions first noticed it--> Then tested with no extensions and still evident.
On the players screen and the Dms screen the edge of some pits can be seen with ambient light used
Image #1 is Player view with ambient light set to sunlight
Image #2 is player view with ambient light set to Dawn
The green arrows are player side and point to the edge of pits.
The purple arrow points to the middle of another pit that was not visible on the player view and not all the pit edges were visible to the player.
The pit edge(s) were not visible when ambient light was disabled.
Cheers

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2023, 08:55
I'm unable to reproduce just some pits showing shadows. All pits have shadows when ambient light with shadows are on - which I think is expected behaviour. Turning shadows off and nothing is visible

Maldev
June 13th, 2023, 09:41
Thanks for the reply.
Does that mean pits are meant to be visible to players in ambient light, unless shadows for the map are turned off?
Can't test now, but how do you hide them from players then? (without having to turn shadows for the map off)
Do you change the visibility in the image data panel from all to GM only vision?
Or am I missing something? :confused:
Cheers

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2023, 09:49
I don't have an answer for you. Although the name of the tool is pit; it's not just used for hidden pit traps (which I assume is the case here). It can be used for all sorts of purposes. Generally I'd expect to only see hidden pits inside a dungeon where there'd be no ambient lighting. For outside use, and assuming that the pit is hidden, then I think the only way would be to switch off shadows.

Laerun
June 13th, 2023, 11:53
Thanks for the reply.
Does that mean pits are meant to be visible to players in ambient light, unless shadows for the map are turned off?
Can't test now, but how do you hide them from players then? (without having to turn shadows for the map off)
Do you change the visibility in the image data panel from all to GM only vision?
Or am I missing something? :confused:
Cheers

Generally, you'd cover them with another asset as a layer. Like a rock, or a carpet, or whatever you want. But I do know what you are reporting.

Moon Wizard
June 13th, 2023, 17:47
I've filed a ticket to review this behavior for pits.

Regards,
JPG

Maldev
June 14th, 2023, 05:58
Thanks for the replies. :)
If pits were default "GM visibilty only" in the Map Layers, would that fix it?
Cheers

pindercarl
June 14th, 2023, 06:42
Thanks for the replies. :)
If pits were default "GM visibilty only" in the Map Layers, would that fix it?
Cheers

Layers marked as GM only are not sent to the players. Hidden layers are sent but would not be considered for line-of-sight until unhidden. Pits should not have shadows when closed. I need to look into why this isn't working. As reported, this is a bug.

Maldev
June 14th, 2023, 08:46
All good, Thanks for looking into it..
Cheers