PDA

View Full Version : Technical limits in FG?

A Social Yeti
June 12th, 2023, 20:25
Is it possible for FG to have multiple columns of data seen in a container's view window, or is it stuck the way it is with the one data point in the DB used for sort order in ascending alphabetical only?
Do we just happen to have a corner case demand for some sorting of a container's view that forced a few bespoke buttons into existence on the NPC container?

Or is it technically possible to have multiple sort order columns when viewing the items in a container?

If it is possible then it is reasonable for me to go put in a feature request for container views to have more than one data column seen and those columns to be sort order control for the end user.
But if it is not in the designs for FG to do that at all, then I’d not bother with the suggestion site for this kind of stuff.

Anyone know?

Moon Wizard
June 12th, 2023, 20:50
I'm not sure what you are referring to, when you are asking about a "container's view window". Perhaps you can add some specific screen clips or examples?

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
June 12th, 2023, 21:27
Do you mean something like changing the NPC window so instead of just having the name and source columns, adding other sortable columns like Type, CR, etc?

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you might want to look at this extension; Fantasy Grounds Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/624/view)

Griogre
June 13th, 2023, 00:16
I think he is asking about multi sort on two columns of a data table. You can sort a list of items on just one of the fields of the item, ie for a D&D monster list you can sort by the name field, CR field or the creature type field. I'm pretty sure you can do ascending or descending sorts though its been a long time since I did any FG development.

The current Tables are a FG classic legacy and the actual data is held in XML and just happens to be displayed in a table. FGU would be enhanced, in my opinion, by an upgraded multi-column sort via the column headers. I'm not sure this is what you are asking about though.

A Social Yeti
June 13th, 2023, 17:14
I'm not sure what you are referring to, when you are asking about a "container's view window". Perhaps you can add some specific screen clips or examples?

Regards,
JPG

When you open any of the containers, like say "story" or "NPCs", the window that comes up is a view of one column of data(occasionally more) but no options to resort the data besides the ascending alphabetical order it is in.
As we have the data in a database, this means a container's view window could have multiple columns of data to be seen about each item in the container. And any column of data seen could be used to resort the data by that columns data in ascending or descending order as the end user wished.

Here in this image showing the story container window.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/97229796376367298/15683127F333E9411B97602A74EA7001B04F561D/

The list is just one alphabetical list by a single column of data. We can create many separate lists, but cannot organize any list of items in a container in any way besides a single data cell. But underlying this is a database with many columns of data that the end users could be allowed to choose to sort by. And best of all there could be some columns that allow for the end users own self organization method to be used. But we'd need to be bale to choose to sort by those or it won't work out.

While allowing arbitrary data columns to arbitrarily sort by, would be a real power for end user. It would allow any GM/creator, to self organize their campaign in whatever way they saw fit. While presently we are all forced to a singular system of one data point sorted as alphabetical ascending order only for any container's items.

I find the "story" container's window is a table of contents for us. And those are normally organized as the author arbitrarily says the are, while also having whatever arbitrary names the for the chapters the author says they do.
I was considering to put in a feature suggestion for it.

But when i spotted the bespoke NPC sort buttons, and saw it has to draw a whole new window to do so. That kind of looked like a workaround to get sort order options on that one window. It gave me the impression that sort order columns were simply not an option for the designers to use. So it'd be a pointless thing to go suggest as a feature at the website for that.

And that was my real question, do we know if in FG windows it could have sort order columns that simply resort the data as the user asks? Are those technically possible/impossible for FG?
If possible i got to go make suggestions, if impossible i got to keep using sort order control names like this:

001.123.101.a1 brinewood tavern first visits

LordEntrails
June 13th, 2023, 17:18
I haven't heard of anyone trying to do so, but I see no reason why an extension or ruleset could not be designed to allow multiple columns with sortable column headers. There are no functions within CoreRPG to sort other than alphabetical (descending?). But I can't imagine there is anything preventing such a function being implemented.

Edit: do note, if you use the new Ref Man instead of stories, you can manually control the order the pages are put into.

superteddy57
June 13th, 2023, 18:08
Reference windows tend to be the more summarized and do have multiple columns of data. Sorting can also be done in the code to make it sort to any of the columns as well. Just not to the full extent you are referring to without some further expansion. The masterindex is filtered using the search or the filter fields. Clicking on the module also filters it down to that module. No multi column without expansion as well.