PDA

View Full Version : Official Cypher System Bug Report Thread

Saagael
June 6th, 2023, 19:09
Please report any bugs you encounter in the Cypher, The Strange, or Numenera rulesets here.

When reporting issues, please add as much detail as possible. Details that might be relevant include:

* Does the error occur on the client, host, or both?
* Does the error occur for every player?
* What actions cause the error?
* Does the error occur reliably, or only some of the time?
* Do you have any extensions loaded? If so, have you tried reproducing the issue without any extensions loaded?

In addition to these details, screenshots of relevant windows can also help. If you're having an issue with an ability roll, sharing a screenshot of the ability and action details is wonderfully helpful.

wndrngdru
June 8th, 2023, 02:28
Here's one that's been hanging around for a little while:

When creating a new character in any of the Cypher rulesets, there is a weird extraneous text box in the Currency panel on the Inventory tab.

Saagael
June 8th, 2023, 02:30
Here's one that's been hanging around for a little while:

When creating a new character in any of the Cypher rulesets, there is a weird extraneous text box in the Currency panel on the Inventory tab.

I'm pretty sure that box is there to enter non-currency treasures and valuables. I can at least give it a label or tooltip though.

wndrngdru
June 8th, 2023, 02:43
I suppose it could be used for that. It just showed up during one of the last couple of updates before you took over. Making it so the text can use the paragraph types could be useful as well.

wndrngdru
June 8th, 2023, 02:46
The default dice position needs to be moved farther to the right. The unlock and reset widgets are under the Ease/Hinder buttons.

Saagael
June 8th, 2023, 02:47
I suppose it could be used for that. It just showed up during one of the last couple of updates before you took over. Making it so the text can use the paragraph types could be useful as well.

It comes from CoreRPG, so I think it was added when currency got an overhaul. I added a story to my backlog to clean that up.

Moon Wizard
June 8th, 2023, 15:40
I believe the extra currency box can just be removed. I wanted to retire it completely when I did the currency overhaul, but I didn't want people to lose data. However, I made sure not to add it to any rulesets that didn't already use it.

Regards,
JPG

wndrngdru
June 17th, 2023, 03:36
The new Difficulty Level icon is unreadable when using a theme with a dark background. I've filled the center of the icons with 50% opacity background so they should work with any theme and take on the color of whatever is behind it, only lighter.
A zip of the icons is attached.

EDIT: Changed attachment to include up to Level 15 tasks.

wndrngdru
June 17th, 2023, 03:42
Speaking of Difficulty Levels, in superhero-style games the level can go up to 15 because, you know, superheroes. If you want, I can go ahead and make a set of 15. You'll need to do the coding to make them work, though. :D

EDIT: I went ahead and updated the attachment in the previous post with the extra levels.

Saagael
June 17th, 2023, 05:59
The new Difficulty Level icon is unreadable when using a theme with a dark background. I've filled the center of the icons with 50% opacity background so they should work with any theme and take on the color of whatever is behind it, only lighter.
A zip of the icons is attached.

EDIT: Changed attachment to include up to Level 15 tasks.

That's something I'm not going to be able to fix, unfortunately. Though if you want a dark theme I highly recommend SirMotte's Hearth theme. That does have color-corrected icons.

As for the difficulty levels going up to 15, I think that's doable. I'll add it to the list.

wndrngdru
June 17th, 2023, 07:04
That's something I'm not going to be able to fix, unfortunately.

You're not able to swap out graphic files? The zip file I attached contains pngs that fix the problem.

Saagael
June 17th, 2023, 16:46
You're not able to swap out graphic files? The zip file I attached contains pngs that fix the problem.

My bad, I meant I can't adjust the icons for specific themes only. I can replace the icons entirely, which I'll take a look at doing. Thanks for the icons.

wndrngdru
June 17th, 2023, 19:13
My bad, I meant I can't adjust the icons for specific themes only.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that much I knew. :) The new ones should work for just about any theme, light or dark.

wndrngdru
June 23rd, 2023, 02:57
[BUG] When editing an Ability, once you click the Other tab, the lock state is no longer updates the Main tab. You don't have to do anything on the Other tab besides click on it.

Steps to reproduce:

Create new Ability
Click Other tab
Click Main tab
Click lock icon
Sad face

The starting locked/unlocked state makes no difference. Closing and reopening the Ability refreshes the Main tab to the current lock state.
It only seems to affect the Main tab. The Actions tab works as expected.

Saagael
June 23rd, 2023, 04:22
[BUG] When editing an Ability, once you click the Other tab, the lock state is no longer updates the Main tab. You don't have to do anything on the Other tab besides click on it.

Steps to reproduce:

Create new Ability
Click Other tab
Click Main tab
Click lock icon
Sad face

The starting locked/unlocked state makes no difference. Closing and reopening the Ability refreshes the Main tab to the current lock state.
It only seems to affect the Main tab. The Actions tab works as expected.

Thanks for reporting. I can reproduce this and will have a fix in the next update.

wndrngdru
June 24th, 2023, 03:20
I suppose this isn't really a bug, but Types could use the Feature capability that Descriptors and Abilities have. The reason being that First-Tier Types will almost always give inabilities around weapons/armor.

EDIT: grammar

Saagael
June 24th, 2023, 03:30
I suppose this isn't really a bug, but Types could use the Feature capability that Descriptors and Abilities have. The reason being that First-Tier Types will almost always give inabilities around weapons/armor.

EDIT: grammar

Since the system doesn't really know about or handle inabilities with armor or weapons in a general sense, I left that intentionally vague. I was imagining they would be classified as Abilities and left to the player to deal with. But if/when I do eventually add in handling for weapon/armor training, I can revisit how to apply it automatically.

wndrngdru
June 24th, 2023, 04:12
Since the system doesn't really know about or handle inabilities with armor or weapons in a general sense, I left that intentionally vague. I was imagining they would be classified as Abilities and left to the player to deal with. But if/when I do eventually add in handling for weapon/armor training, I can revisit how to apply it automatically.

Understood. I usually put it with the other skills on the character sheet for reference and was mostly looking for a way to do that automatically when the Type is chosen (when that feature gets implemented, obviously).

wndrngdru
August 3rd, 2023, 16:27
Feature Request: Add XP as a cost type to rolls for Abilities such as Lucky's Advantage; the player spends 1 XP to reroll a d20 and add 3 to the result.

Saagael
August 3rd, 2023, 16:55
Feature Request: Add XP as a cost type to rolls for Abilities such as Lucky's Advantage; the player spends 1 XP to reroll a d20 and add 3 to the result.

Should be doable. Added to the backlog.

wndrngdru
August 19th, 2023, 03:37
I'm not sure if it's intentional (or maybe inherited from CoreRPG), but when the Edit List is enabled on the action tab of an item, the delete icon covers the magnifying glass.

My preference is that it would be to the right of the magnifying glass instead.

Saagael
August 19th, 2023, 03:43
I'm not sure if it's intentional (or maybe inherited from CoreRPG), but when the Edit List is enabled on the action tab of an item, the delete icon covers the magnifying glass.

My preference is that it would be to the right of the magnifying glass instead.

That is inherited from CoreRPG, but it's not difficult to change I don't think. If I did change it though I'd want to change that behavior not just on items though, but anywhere in the ruleset there's a list of actions. So that'd be PC actions, NPC actions, abilities, probably some other places. Still doable though. Can likely get it out with the next update.

lordjeb
August 26th, 2023, 19:40
BUG: When I am entering abilities and I press Tab to move to the next field, it allows me to tab to the description of the next field and overwrite it. The change is not saved permanently, but it is frustrating to not be able to tab-navigate down the fields.

REPRO:
1. Create new ability, give it a name, press tab to move to the "Type" field.
2. Press tab again, and notice you are highlighting the "Use Type" description.
3. Type something like "Test" and notice you have overwritten "Use Type."
4. Press tab again and notice you have moved to the "Can Select" description rather than to the entry field.

lordjeb
August 26th, 2023, 21:11
BUG: When I drag an ability to another page to create a link, The auto-generated link name is unpluralized incorrectly, as something like "Abilitie: Enhanced Intellect"

Saagael
August 26th, 2023, 21:22
BUG: When I am entering abilities and I press Tab to move to the next field, it allows me to tab to the description of the next field and overwrite it. The change is not saved permanently, but it is frustrating to not be able to tab-navigate down the fields.

REPRO:
1. Create new ability, give it a name, press tab to move to the "Type" field.
2. Press tab again, and notice you are highlighting the "Use Type" description.
3. Type something like "Test" and notice you have overwritten "Use Type."
4. Press tab again and notice you have moved to the "Can Select" description rather than to the entry field.

Thanks for the report. I was able to reproduce and fix this; it'll be in the update this Tuesday.

Saagael
August 26th, 2023, 21:24
BUG: When I drag an ability to another page to create a link, The auto-generated link name is unpluralized incorrectly, as something like "Abilitie: Enhanced Intellect"

I can reproduce this, but I think this is an issue with CoreRPG. I'll have to do some digging to see what's happening, but that drag/drop behavior is not something I've altered.

Moon Wizard
August 27th, 2023, 07:54
Tab order can be specified via the tabtarget tag on each control. If none defined, then the order of control definition is used. Any string or number control/field that is not read only can be a tab stop.

Regards,
JPG

wndrngdru
October 25th, 2023, 19:40
I was running a horror one-shot the other night when I found out that the increased die number on which a GM intrusion is triggered tops out at 5. Can we make that go all the way to 20? Horror Mode, as written in the CSR, increases by one each time a GMI is triggered in this way or every 10 minutes. No limit.

wndrngdru
October 28th, 2023, 00:50
After creating content for the ruleset as well as running a few sessions with it, I must say I really like the way it works and is built. It has the power of a generalized toolbox while still allowing for the automation and time-saving that FG is great at.

That said, there's one thing that I'm not a big fan of; the way Descriptors work. Just about any of the abilities a descriptor would grant live exclusively with that descriptor. They're generally not part of the Abilities one would pick for Type or Focus. This means the Abilities library gets "cluttered" with descriptor-specific stuff, though I have been putting them in a single "Descriptor Abilities" category to separate them from the "general population".

I don't really have an answer to how it could work instead. Maybe just a way to create an Ability entry that's local to the Descriptor? Mostly these are just things that you'd want to see on your character sheet as something you can do. They rarely have a pool cost, but often have a use limit/recharge trigger as well as some sort of effect.

Thoughts?

wndrngdru
November 11th, 2023, 00:01
BUG: Armor added via Feature from an Ability is cleared when clicking on the magnifying glass in the Armor box on the character sheet.

Example: Ward

Create an Ability with the Feature of Armor with a mod of 1.
Drag/drop ability on character sheet. Armor increases by 1 as expected.
Click magnifying glass in Armor box. Armor increase is removed.

Saagael
November 11th, 2023, 18:26
BUG: Armor added via Feature from an Ability is cleared when clicking on the magnifying glass in the Armor box on the character sheet.

Example: Ward

Create an Ability with the Feature of Armor with a mod of 1.
Drag/drop ability on character sheet. Armor increases by 1 as expected.
Click magnifying glass in Armor box. Armor increase is removed.

This should be fixed in the next update.

That said, there's one thing that I'm not a big fan of; the way Descriptors work. Just about any of the abilities a descriptor would grant live exclusively with that descriptor. They're generally not part of the Abilities one would pick for Type or Focus. This means the Abilities library gets "cluttered" with descriptor-specific stuff, though I have been putting them in a single "Descriptor Abilities" category to separate them from the "general population".

I'm of the opposite mind; I want as many of the game mechanics as possible in the Abilities library so that that they can be re-used as the GM wants. I'll see what I can do to make the abilities either be a link to an existing one, or a local ability that the descriptor holds.

wndrngdru
November 11th, 2023, 23:21
I'm of the opposite mind; I want as many of the game mechanics as possible in the Abilities library so that that they can be re-used as the GM wants. I'll see what I can do to make the abilities either be a link to an existing one, or a local ability that the descriptor holds.

I can totally see the benefit. I'm just thinking about how the CSR/CSRD are written. Being able to do either would be really cool.

Wishlist Items:

Having the Features box be able to accept a dragged/dropped item or ability and have it understand what's being added. This would save a ton of time when adding Features to Types/Descriptors/Foci.
Have Enablers also have the Cost fields available on the Ability's main tab. Some Enablers have a pool cost when used even though they aren't an action. Right now I'm working around it by using an effect that doesn't do anything but pay the cost when the button is clicked. The downside of the workaround is that the cost isn't shown on the character sheet.

Saagael
November 11th, 2023, 23:27
Having the Features box be able to accept a dragged/dropped item or ability and have it understand what's being added. This would save a ton of time when adding Features to Types/Descriptors/Foci.

This is already mostly supported. Don't drag onto the Feature box, but drop the item or ability on the Feature list in the "Other" tab. This will add an ability or item Feature that's set up as the correct type.

Have Enablers also have the Cost fields available on the Ability's main tab. Some Enablers have a pool cost when used even though they aren't an action. Right now I'm working around it by using an effect that doesn't do anything but pay the cost when the button is clicked. The downside of the workaround is that the cost isn't shown on the character sheet.

I've been meaning to do this for months. I'll get it into the next update (should be this Tuesday) but in the meantime the workaround is to make the ability as an Action, set the cost, and then turn it back to an Enabler.

wndrngdru
November 12th, 2023, 00:01
This is already mostly supported. Don't drag onto the Feature box, but drop the item or ability on the Feature list in the "Other" tab. This will add an ability or item Feature that's set up as the correct type.
This doesn't seem to be working for Types.

I've been meaning to do this for months. I'll get it into the next update (should be this Tuesday) but in the meantime the workaround is to make the ability as an Action, set the cost, and then turn it back to an Enabler.
Oooo... I didn't even think about trying that. Nice workaround.

Also, just wanted to make sure you saw my message about Horror Mode. :) If it will save you time, I can whip up the extra icons for you (unless you just used a custom text box for it, I didn't crack open the ruleset to see how it's implemented).

wndrngdru
November 12th, 2023, 00:21
BUG: When a roll is made with a pool cost on a stat that has Edge associated with it, the "Use Edge?" check in the modifiers area is toggled.

I'm guessing that's desired if the the check is manually cleared so that it defaults to on. However, it's also clearing automatically when it's already checked.

Saagael
November 12th, 2023, 00:38
This doesn't seem to be working for Types.

I think that's because on a Type, dropping an ability adds it to the list of Abilities, rather than the list of Features. I'll update it so items can be dropped there though.

Also, just wanted to make sure you saw my message about Horror Mode. :) If it will save you time, I can whip up the extra icons for you (unless you just used a custom text box for it, I didn't crack open the ruleset to see how it's implemented).

I did see it. If you could make the icons that would be amazing. I rebuilt my PC and haven't been able to find the file I was using for the template icon, which is why I haven't gotten around to it.

BUG: When a roll is made with a pool cost on a stat that has Edge associated with it, the "Use Edge?" check in the modifiers area is toggled.

This will be fixed in the next update. I originally had the idea that after a player uses Edge it would automatically deselect until the combat tracker turn changes, after which it would be re-enabled. This change ultimately ended up causing more problems than it solved, so it'll be reverted.

wndrngdru
November 13th, 2023, 00:19
Here is a set of icons for the GMIs (same size as the old ones). I hope it's okay that I adjusted the hex to be equal-sided and turned it so it's more like a d20. I needed the extra room for the 2-digit numbers. I also provided replacements for the player intrusion and roll1 icons so they match.

wndrngdru
November 14th, 2023, 03:18
Not sure if this is an actual bug or just not implemented yet.

Recovery rolls are 1d6+Tier, so a starting character should have a recovery roll of 1d6+1. Right now, a new character's "+ box" is zero.

Saagael
November 14th, 2023, 03:45
Not sure if this is an actual bug or just not implemented yet.

Recovery rolls are 1d6+Tier, so a starting character should have a recovery roll of 1d6+1. Right now, a new character's "+ box" is zero.

The +tier is added when someone rolls to recover. The box is for additional modifiers on top of the innate bonus.

wndrngdru
November 14th, 2023, 04:01
Hi, I'm back. :)

Manually adding an item to the character sheet inventory and changing its type to Weapon does not add it to the Action tab.

wndrngdru
November 14th, 2023, 04:03
The +tier is added when someone rolls to recover. The box is for additional modifiers on top of the innate bonus.

~facepalm~

I actually knew that. I'm entering some pre-gens and looking for where things weren't matching up.

Saagael
November 14th, 2023, 04:06
Hi, I'm back. :)

Manually adding an item to the character sheet inventory and changing its type to Weapon does not add it to the Action tab.

This is correct. The system will only add a matching weapon entry on the actions tab if a weapon is added via drag/drop. If it's changed to a weapon after the fact, it will not add it. I'll consider if there's a way to make this work cleanly, but it feels like the system will cause more confusion if changing an item's type after it's in someone's inventory messed with other part's of the sheet.

wndrngdru
January 16th, 2024, 17:59
Wish List item:

Check for prerequisites on Abilities and have a pop up when those are not met, e.g., Experienced in Armor requires Practiced in Armor be taken first.

I figure just a string compare check with the character's Abilities tab would suffice 90+% of the time. This would obviously fail if they edit the name of the ability but I think it would be sufficient for catching the errant oops.

wndrngdru
January 16th, 2024, 20:05
BUG

An effect applied during a character's turn with a duration of 1 RND is immediately removed when the CT's Next Actor button is clicked. Expected behavior is for it to be removed at the end of the character's next turn.

EDIT: After testing some more, I am unable to reproduce this. I'll keep an eye on it though.

EDIT 2: Okay, I think I've figured it out. It happens when the PC has the same initiative as the NPCs AND is sorted last due to alpha name sorting.

To recreate:

Add an NPC or two to the CT with a level of 1 (init 3)
Give PC an init of 3
Make sure the PC name is such that it is sorted in the CT AFTER the NPCs
Step through Init order until PC's turn.
Add effect with duration of 1 RND to PC.
Click Next Actor
Effect disappears.

wndrngdru
January 16th, 2024, 20:26
As a secondary concern to the above, shouldn't the effect last until the END of the character's next turn? This would help with Abilities that use a character's current action but will provide an effect during their next action as long as it's during the next round, e.g., Momentum.

Saagael
January 17th, 2024, 04:31
BUG

An effect applied during a character's turn with a duration of 1 RND is immediately removed when the CT's Next Actor button is clicked. Expected behavior is for it to be removed at the end of the character's next turn.

EDIT: After testing some more, I am unable to reproduce this. I'll keep an eye on it though.

EDIT 2: Okay, I think I've figured it out. It happens when the PC has the same initiative as the NPCs AND is sorted last due to alpha name sorting.

To recreate:

Add an NPC or two to the CT with a level of 1 (init 3)
Give PC an init of 3
Make sure the PC name is such that it is sorted in the CT AFTER the NPCs
Step through Init order until PC's turn.
Add effect with duration of 1 RND to PC.
Click Next Actor
Effect disappears.

Thanks for reporting. I'll double check this, it might be something that CoreRPG does that I need to change, or it's because of a recent change.

wndrngdru
January 22nd, 2024, 22:30
As a secondary concern to the above, shouldn't the effect last until the END of the character's next turn? This would help with Abilities that use a character's current action but will provide an effect during their next action as long as it's during the next round, e.g., Momentum.

Never mind on this, now that I understand how the Expend function is supposed to work. :grin:

Locotomo
January 24th, 2024, 19:31
So, new updates next week? :)

wndrngdru
January 26th, 2024, 22:00
WISH LIST:

Heal action to allow roll-plus-mod instead of just static numbers. This would allow abilities such as Mind Surge (heals 1d6+6 to Int Pool) to have an easy button instead of manually adding modifier and rolling.