PDA

View Full Version : Seeking help with suspected tiling problem in chat panel

Yggdrasil
January 20th, 2008, 22:18
I think this might be a problem with tiling, but I'm not entirely sure as I'm not entirely sure of the mechanics.

I'm attempting to simply change the original FGII chat graphic a bit (just reskinning the original slightly) for my post-apoc campaign I'm cooking up, but for some reason I keep getting this odd bar across it when I fire up the actual program.

I'm attaching a cropped screenshot as well as the actual chatbox.png that I am trying to use so you can see both. The bar is totally absent in the png :/

Any help or insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Oberoten
January 21st, 2008, 00:10
I think this might be a problem with tiling, but I'm not entirely sure as I'm not entirely sure of the mechanics.

I'm attempting to simply change the original FGII chat graphic a bit (just reskinning the original slightly) for my post-apoc campaign I'm cooking up, but for some reason I keep getting this odd bar across it when I fire up the actual program.

I'm attaching a cropped screenshot as well as the actual chatbox.png that I am trying to use so you can see both. The bar is totally absent in the png :/

Any help or insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Have you changed the size of the chatwindow? It looks like you have accidentially changed the frame-reading of the chatwindow.

In graphic_frames.xml there is a section :

<framedef name="chatbox">
<bitmap file="frames/chatbox.png" />
<topleft rect="0,0,150,150" />
<top rect="150,0,200,150" />
<topright rect="350,0,179,150" />
<left rect="0,150,150,200" />
<middle rect="150,150,200,200" />
<right rect="350,150,179,200" />
<bottomleft rect="0,350,150,180" />
<bottom rect="150,350,200,180" />
<bottomright rect="350,350,179,180" />
</framedef>

Which defines what tiles where.
<bitmap file="name"> Shows what image to work with.
topleft tells what part of it makes out the ... well, top and left corner. etc etc . The ones most interesting here is then the middle rect which should be set to use only as much space as your final dispplayed window has, or to use only tileable parts.

Yggdrasil
January 21st, 2008, 01:23
The size of the chatwindow has not changed. It remains at the default 529-w and 530-h.

I haven't so much as opened the XML either, simply applied a photoshop style filter and did some cosmetic work to the border, thats it.

Dwelian
January 21st, 2008, 01:40
Recheck your chatbox.png. I downloaded the one you attached, and compared to the original it appears to be 5 pixels short in the X direction and 6 pixels short in the Y.

Yggdrasil
January 21st, 2008, 01:53
Okay, I must be doing something really wrong then.

Double checking it says it is 529 pixels in width, and 530 in height, as does the original source image from the example ruleset.

I've included a copy of the original chatbox.png (from the example ruleset) for comparison.

Edit: Wait, I just realized, I deleted the drop shadow effect and just left it as a transparency, would that cause this? And if so, how would I got about correcting that?

Dwelian
January 21st, 2008, 03:32
Sorry for the miscount. I must have autocropped. The extra pixels are there and transparent in your image.

I don't know what's causing that dark bar. Since it's exactly the area being retiled, I'm with you on some sort of tiling problem. I even scribbled on your image on the tiling boundaries, and FG is doing the tiling right, it's just adjusting the palette when it does so.

Yggdrasil
January 21st, 2008, 20:53
Any idea how I would go about fixing this?