PDA

View Full Version : Character Portraits in the GM window

Ravennst
January 20th, 2008, 18:38
Why can I not access the character portraits in the GM window? I'd want to use them for my more important NPCs without copying my entire portrait directory to my tokens directory. That just seems like a redundant use of drive space and it clutters up the token box.

Also, I'm trying locate where we can report bugs we find to no success.

Griogre
January 20th, 2008, 23:23
Character portaits are the one piece of data that comes from the players' computers. The host just mirrors it back. Thus, the logic is the host does not need portraits. Smiteworks expected you to use personalities for NPCs which require tokens not portraits.

As a work around assign the portraits by starting a second instance of FG or have a player assign one.

You can display a portrait as a image if you wish. Bug reports go in the House of Healing.

Edit: As this is your first post you may not know you can also just drop the NPC portrait in the campaign's portrait folder. Just give the portrait the *exact* name of the NPC and remove the portrait's extention. It's proably easier to start the second instance though.

Ravennst
January 21st, 2008, 02:26
Character portaits are the one piece of data that comes from the players' computers. The host just mirrors it back. Thus, the logic is the host does not need portraits. Smiteworks expected you to use personalities for NPCs which require tokens not portraits.

My issue was the lack of ability to use portraits as tokens without copying the portraits directory to the tokens directory. I'll be adding this to the wishlist in the House of Healing.

Griogre
January 21st, 2008, 03:33
Are you advocating the all tokens on all machines end up in shared tokens? Or just the portraits on the DM machine end up in host tokens? I personally have hundreds of tokens and portraits and if they were all thrown into my token box it would be difficult for me to find them. I could live with all the portraits on my machine being in a portrait folder though I don't use tokens the same size as my portraits so I wouldn't use them. I think that might be the biggest problem for many.

I am a little curious about why you need a NPC to have a character sheet. If it is along term party NPC just have a player open it. Enemy NPCs are much easier to handle with personalities because you can't get an NPC into the combat tracker by drag and dropping a character sheet that has not been opened by a player.

I admit I would like to have the GM have the ability to be able to add portraits to Server characters for pregens though.