PDA

View Full Version : Release 4.4 - Local Sound Files

Gwydion
May 25th, 2023, 13:29
Been testing this for a bit and I love the Syrinscape Integration. I've noticed that when I upload my own files and create a soundset for it and drag/drop by record into the folder, when I click the play button it plays fine but when I click the stop button it does not seem to stop the file playing. I have to go into my audio player (WMP for me right now) to stop the file from playing. This is amazing work! So excited.

Gwydion
May 25th, 2023, 13:38
I don't want to create multiple threads but another question. What is the difference between story entry record and npc record? I can create either and drag/drop in the "other" tab of an npc but there must be some other distinction here?

Trenloe
May 25th, 2023, 13:41
...but when I click the stop button it does not seem to stop the file playing. I have to go into my audio player (WMP for me right now) to stop the file from playing.
I read that was the case in one of the release pages/documents I was reading earlier today, but now I can't find it...

Trenloe
May 25th, 2023, 13:46
What is the difference between story entry record and npc record? I can create either and drag/drop in the "other" tab of an npc but there must be some other distinction here?
It allows you to tie sounds/soundsets to when you open a story or NPC record, or add an NPC to the CT. The sounds won't start playing, but they'll be added to the Context Sounds window (or removed when the record is closed) and you can decide which sounds you want to play.

A little bit of info in the Wiki page here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2078932993/Using+Syrinscape+Sounds#Step-2:-Play-the-Adventure

(Get to the Wiki page by clicking the ? button at the top right of a few of the sound windows).

bayne7400
May 25th, 2023, 13:48
Gwydion

Are you using Web based syrinscape? Definitely want to check this out.

Gwydion
May 25th, 2023, 13:49
It allows you to tie sounds/soundsets to when you open a story or NPC record, or add an NPC to the CT.

A little bit of info in the Wiki page here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2078932993/Using+Syrinscape+Sounds#Step-2:-Play-the-Adventure

(Get to the Wiki page by clicking the ? button at the top right of a few of the sound windows).

Shoot. I just need to rtm. lol. Thanks Trenloe!

Gwydion
May 25th, 2023, 14:25
Gwydion

Are you using Web based syrinscape? Definitely want to check this out.

Sorry, missed this. Yes, I'm using the web player. So far this is super cool and really easy. Similar to the extension mattkeure (and celestian) created but more integrated, easy to use and ability to use my own sounds for things like chat triggers. Love that.

Dudin
May 25th, 2023, 14:30
Do you have to have a paid subscription with Syrinscape to use the web player with your own sound?

Gwydion
May 25th, 2023, 14:33
Do you have to have a paid subscription with Syrinscape to use the web player with your own sound?

I do but with the new implementation of syrinscape in FGU, you can trigger your own sounds and play them via something like WMP or VLC. You would still have to send that to kenku.fm or something to get to players. Otherwise, to your point, I could upload my local sounds into syrinscape and have everything play through the web player.

Trenloe
May 25th, 2023, 14:45
Information on the requirements are available in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2078932993/Using+Syrinscape+Sounds#Requirements:

bayne7400
May 25th, 2023, 14:56
That's Great. I have tons of my own sound files. I was using RPG sounds but half the time I would not use them because it became distracting to have to minimize FG and click the trigger.

Gwydion
May 25th, 2023, 17:19
Just want to clarify something. I know this is just released but the wiki shows several types of triggers such as Attack - Hit, Attack - Crit, Chat, Cast. For now all i see is Chat. Is that correct?

Trenloe
May 25th, 2023, 18:01
Just want to clarify something. I know this is just released but the wiki shows several types of triggers such as Attack - Hit, Attack - Crit, Chat, Cast. For now all i see is Chat. Is that correct?
Depends on the ruleset.

Moon Wizard
May 25th, 2023, 18:09
Local sounds are sent to the OS to be opened. There is no corresponding URL command that an OS will understand to "close/stop" a file. The local sound system only calls URLs, so it does not have any notion of what sound player you are using, and has no way to stop sounds. I'll see about making sure the stop button is not visible on file specific sound entries.

For the trigger types, these are specified by ruleset as @Trenloe mentioned. The current rulesets that had one or more mappings to the half-dozen triggers we were creating for D&D are:
5E, 4E, 3.5E, d20M, 13A, DCC/MCC, MGT2, MGT1, PFRPG2, PFRPG, SFRPG

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
May 25th, 2023, 19:13
So I just bought the extension last night I guess I won't be getting much use out of it?

Moon Wizard
May 25th, 2023, 19:18
I think there are refund options, if that’s what you want to do.

JPG

Gwydion
May 25th, 2023, 19:20
Local sounds are sent to the OS to be opened. There is no corresponding URL command that an OS will understand to "close/stop" a file. The local sound system only calls URLs, so it does not have any notion of what sound player you are using, and has no way to stop sounds. I'll see about making sure the stop button is not visible on file specific sound entries.

For the trigger types, these are specified by ruleset as @Trenloe mentioned. The current rulesets that had one or more mappings to the half-dozen triggers we were creating for D&D are:
5E, 4E, 3.5E, d20M, 13A, DCC/MCC, MGT2, MGT1, PFRPG2, PFRPG, SFRPG

Regards,
JPG

Very much appreciate the complete, thoughtful response. Makes complete sense. I’m testing with shadow of the demon lord so understand now

Gwydion
May 28th, 2023, 15:22
Can I test the NPC functionality yet or is that specific to the rulesets mentioned? Just curious to see how I can test it out.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 28th, 2023, 22:34
It would be amazing if the RPG Sounds people allowed to integrate with FGU

bayne7400
May 29th, 2023, 00:26
Gwydion

What exactly did you do to import files from your hard drive? I keep getting an error (see below). I also noticed the images on the wiki do not match what I am seeing on test server for the "Sound :Settings" tab.

Moon Wizard
May 29th, 2023, 01:14
Any sound files that you are trying to import must be located under the FG data folder (i.e. press folder button on launch screen, create a "sounds" subfolder, and place them there.)

Using Windows 11, I then select the files I want to import, select Copy As Path from right click menu, and paste into the Import window.

Regards,
JPG

bayne7400
May 29th, 2023, 01:15
Ok thanks. I created a "data" folder. That was the issue

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 29th, 2023, 07:30
I know it's only accessible on the test channel, but it would be nice to see a video showing how to use this new feature both through Syrinscape and through local files... because I tried to create something and I wasn't successful.

Zacchaeus
May 29th, 2023, 08:32
I know it's only accessible on the test channel, but it would be nice to see a video showing how to use this new feature both through Syrinscape and through local files... because I tried to create something and I wasn't successful.

Doug demo'd it on Fantasy Grounds Friday so you could have a look at that video. It's also detailed a bit here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2078932993/Using+Syrinscape+Sounds

TrentLane
May 29th, 2023, 15:09
It would be amazing if the RPG Sounds people allowed to integrate with FGU

Highly agree, Syrinscape is missing so many features compared to RPG Sounds. No way I can recreate the soundscapes I have now with Syrinscape. I'll probably just continue using RPG sounds for the foreseeable future.

Dudin
May 29th, 2023, 15:23
Highly agree, Syrinscape is missing so many features compared to RPG Sounds. No way I can recreate the soundscapes I have now with Syrinscape. I'll probably just continue using RPG sounds for the foreseeable future.

Not to distract from the topic of the thread, but I agree RPG Sounds is great. It doesn't seem like it is really being maintained/developed any further though so I suspect it will inevitably break/fade at some point.

TrentLane
May 29th, 2023, 16:43
Not to distract from the topic of the thread, but I agree RPG Sounds is great. It doesn't seem like it is really being maintained/developed any further though so I suspect it will inevitably break/fade at some point.

Ye, seems like they abandoned it last year, seems like only a question of time until the online room function no longer works.

Gwydion
May 30th, 2023, 01:38
Ye, seems like they abandoned it last year, seems like only a question of time until the online room function no longer works.

Unfortunately I agree that rpg sounds isn’t being actively worked from what I can tell. I did find a new alternative yesterday that is pretty awesome called sound show. I did a quick video yesterday here.

https://youtu.be/R9CKS-bMDuc

Laerun
June 14th, 2023, 05:17

No, but you still have to pipe your audio into Discord with a bot or some sort of audio routing app like Voicemeter. Place local audio into a sub folder called sounds. And, within Fantasy Grounds, point the audio feature to the local directly in FGU data folder. You still need to find a solution for your players or stream to hear your local audio to play outside of your machine.
The main advantages of the FGU intergration is that you can create custom chat triggers and customer links to play your local audio a bit easier, instead of having to manually trigger audio with a steam deck or sound pad locally. The main function is the Syrinscape intergration, there are some ways to do it locally. However,I t still requires porting the audio to your players or stream audio.
There will be limitations of course, and I have noticed a developer coming up with an extension to help intrrgeste into FGU and the free VLC media player.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2023, 08:57
To specifically answer this question - if you want to upload your own sounds to Syrinscape and then play them through the Syrinscape web player (either locally or through to the players using Syrinscape online); yes, you do need a subscription to Syrinscape.

Dudin
June 14th, 2023, 13:10
Thanks for the clarification. I will have to look into the KenkuFM piping setup then for local routing after I am done moving. I have so many local sounds I won't really get any value out of a Syrinscape subscription so I want to avoid it.

bayne7400
June 14th, 2023, 13:14
Here is how you set it up. Also Tarks made an awesome free extension for using VLC.
Video needs to be updated but make sure you get VLC version 2.0

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?78105-How-to-use-the-new-sound-triggers-in-discord-using-the-free-VLC-media-player

Laerun
June 14th, 2023, 21:29
Combines resources and observations:
FGA YouTube https://youtube.com/live/ezgMsAFFsPs

Jiminimonka
June 14th, 2023, 21:44
Here is how you set it up. Also Tarks made an awesome free extension for using VLC.
Video needs to be updated but make sure you get VLC version 2.0
https://youtu.be/p-4WQ9Zc0wM

That video is marked Private so can't watch it :(

bayne7400
June 14th, 2023, 21:46
Made a new video and post over in workshop.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?78105-How-to-use-the-new-sound-triggers-in-discord-using-the-free-VLC-media-player

Jiminimonka
June 14th, 2023, 22:00
Made a new video and post over in workshop.

Thanks

Aramis Dante
June 14th, 2023, 22:15
Just curious, I use RPG Sounds and have hundreds of sounds, will that work of do I have to use VLC.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2023, 22:27
Just curious, I use RPG Sounds and have hundreds of sounds, will that work of do I have to use VLC.
I don't know the full ins-and-outs of RPG Sounds - but if you can trigger that by sending a URL locally, then it should be able to work.

Playing local files (e.g. MP3 files) uses the local file association on the computer - the same as when you double-click on an MP3 file, the computer is setup to open that with a specific application. That's what's happening with VLC - it just plays the audio file as if you'd double clicked on it. For RPG sounds to work, there needs to be some way to send a URL locally to RPG Sounds that will get it to play a specific sound - I don't know if it has that feature.

bayne7400
June 15th, 2023, 00:48
There is no way I have found to pass the information from Fantasy Grounds to RPG sounds. I wish we could as it also works great mixing sounds. The VLC solution works seamlessly with the one exception it can only play a single sound file at a time.

As a work around to play ambient and have your one shot sounds play on top is to run your ambient sounds directly in Kenku FM. So kenku would run your background music and VLC plays the triggers and passes it to Kenku. Kenku will then play them both. Kenku has to be controlled directly on its interface if you want to stop or change ambient sounds.

Edit: Unless I write an extension for Kenku haha. It also can be controlled via web hooks.