PDA

View Full Version : two playing off of same router?

nathal
January 20th, 2008, 04:31
Hi,

can two people play from the same house, using the same wireless router? I imagine it would take two licenses, but what if both licenses are from the same IP address?

Griogre
January 20th, 2008, 05:12
If both people are players there is no problem at all. If one person is running a game and the other is playing in the same game then the person on the same router should use the local IP address rather than the alias or external IP address. Naturally, if you are running the host should be on a static local IP.

zifnab69_fr
January 20th, 2008, 18:58
No problem... my wife and i play FG2 on 2 computers and the master is in an other town...

NineShadowEyes
January 22nd, 2008, 21:56
I run a master and client in house and one client over the internet. Works fine. Internal client uses master's internal IP, external client uses master's external IP.

longarms
January 22nd, 2008, 23:39
So... what happens of a GM and player are behind the same router and the player uses the alias instead of the IP address to connect to the game??? I can appreciate the inefficiency invovled in that scenerio, but my question is whether there are other known negative effects?

Not that I would have ever done something so foolish, but I, uh, know a guy who did that once... I am curious whether this could have been responsible for other players dropping off, or if said dropping off is unrelated to how the local player connected.

Griogre
January 23rd, 2008, 06:00
longarms, if you had a "smart" enough router the theory says it might work. The person on the local LAN trying to connect via the alias should connect to the alias server and be bounced back to the router's external IP and come in the right port and be port forward over to the host. The problem would be when the host sent back to the player on the same LAN. It very well could be sending to its own external IP and there is a good chance the router would port forward and bounce the out message right back to the host. However, it is possible that a "smart" router would realize it had two local connections and would route it that way. I wouldn't bet on it though, not on a cheap router.

My *feeling* is that if the connection worked at all, then it would probably not have any effect on the other player's connections. However I think this an instance where theory and practice are likely to be very different, so who knows? The host might be effectively launching a Denial of Service attack on itself. I suspect different routers would respond and work differenty.

zifnab69_fr
January 23rd, 2008, 06:13
My game master and his wife are playing in the same house (yes yes lol) so she use the internal ip adress of her husband. ( they try with the internet ip adress but it did not work) My wife and i are in an other house ( of course) and we are connecting our 2 pc on the master "web" ip adress.
and it work very well

Kalan
January 23rd, 2008, 11:33
On our network setup here, Wifey's PC connects to my server either way. So long as the ports are configured correctly on the GM's side, it shouldn't matter I'd think...

longarms
January 23rd, 2008, 19:21
It should work either way, although it terms of utilizing the "pipe" provided by your ISP, I realized that it is more efficient to connect by IP address.

Griogre
January 23rd, 2008, 20:59
If the router is really smart it knows it is an internal connection on the LAN side of the gateway and thus it never goes out except once to the alias server so you really shouldn't take a hit on the ISP bandwith. If it isn't then yeah it could be bouncing up to an ISP server and back down to the router - however I think that might be a scenario where the player could not connect with the alias.

There is no doubt that you really want to connect via the Internal IP if you have a player on the same LAN for a best case scenario that always works.

NineShadowEyes
January 24th, 2008, 16:27
You can use the tracert command to see what your router does.

C:\tracert [external IP address]