PDA

View Full Version : Cannot open "Story"

hcjiv1
January 19th, 2008, 23:28
I can no longer open the stories 'book'. I click on it. It does a little wiggle but nothing ever opens. I have a fair amount of story typed in and would hate to lose it all. I am using FGII on my dell laptop. I don't remember a crash specifically with this camPain but it has been a while and I use FG for several different games.

Any help?

Thanks!
-Harry

hcjiv1
January 19th, 2008, 23:38
Well I figured out that the problem was that I normally use a much larger display when I am at my desk. Here I am just using my teeny laptop display and the 'encounterlist' was showing up off screen. By editing the CampaignRegistry.lua file I was able to reset the position of that window and all is well.

Sorry for the false alarm,
-Harry

Dachannien
January 20th, 2008, 04:17
Glad we could be of assistance! :D

Oberoten
January 20th, 2008, 05:19
Bumping this thread with a request for a "Restore Window Positions" command for FG. :)

It has been requested before... But I think this thread demonstrates nicely why it is needed.

hcjiv1
January 22nd, 2008, 03:36
Glad I could be of assistance! :) Seriously just not allowing a window to be positioned with its extents outside the main window extents on startup would probably be best. Sure a user may intentionally position a window with part of its contents 'off screen' and may be irritated if that position is not preserved between sessions. However, that is unlikely and its much more irritating for a user to click on the Story or Images/Maps or Personalities books and have nothing happen and no indication as to why. The user's natural gut reaction is that the program is broken and their data is lost. They have to figure out that their windows are just appearing 'off screen' before they can even issue a "Restore Window Positions" command. Just force the windows into the main window on startup.

kalmarjan
January 22nd, 2008, 07:05
Or, if I remember correctly, you can just type /reload, and you will get the positions back.

Sandeman