PDA

View Full Version : Importing a Campaign from FGC to FGU

Dax Doomslayer
May 13th, 2023, 18:54
Hi Folks,
A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I was running the Horde of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat mashup with Storm King's Thunder. I did a lot of custom work to the campaign (adding additional encounters; sound links; maps etc.) but unfortunately it petered out at 6th level while we were using FGC. Well, it looks like we are going to revive this. I'm trying to get all this additional 'stuff' that I created and entered into FGC over to FGU. I first tried to just create a module of everything, checked off all and exported. It exported with no issues in FGC. When I copied the module into the FGU modules folder, for some reason, the module won't appear. when trying to activate it. I then tried to export only the story entries and same issue. I can see the module with windows explorer but for some reason, it won't appear as an option to 'activate'. So, I tried something a bit more drastic and copied over the campaign folder from FGC to FGU. While the campaign appears in the list for campaigns to choose, it appears all of the changes and work done is not there. It's just generic from the modules. I guess my question is, am I missing something or doing something wrong? Or am I just kind of out of luck at this point because the architecture of FGU is now so different than from FGC? Any input or suggestions is welcome! Thanks.

LordEntrails
May 13th, 2023, 18:59
Did you restart FGU after adding the modules? The module list will not dynamically update.

This doesn't talk about modules, but it does have the steps to move a campaign from FGC to FGU (which you probably already knew/did). How to Migrate a FGC Campaign to FGU (fantasygrounds.com) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55522-How-to-Migrate-a-FGC-Campaign-to-FGU)

Trenloe
May 13th, 2023, 18:59
You should just be able to copy the campaign directory across - info here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996639489/Migrating+a+Campaign+from+FGC+to+FGU

We'll need to check you actually have any info on the campaign itself - please provide a screenshot of the directory of the campaign (that will contain a bunch of XML files) with the details view enabled (so we can see size and date).

Dax Doomslayer
May 13th, 2023, 19:32
Thanks LordEntrails - I appreciate the response. I did restart.

@Trenloe, thanks for the reply. I did just try to copy / paste. Here's a screenshot of the campaign. It's all very odd but I'm sure it's probably (hopefully), user error...In addition, there was a module that I was using that doesn't seem to appear (but we can deal with that separately - lol) that I was using (says I have to activate the module and then it doesn't open it). This campaign is acting very oddly for some reason.

Moon Wizard
May 13th, 2023, 19:39
You can unzip the module and look at the files inside to see what got exported. If you want to post here, we can take a look as well.

Regards,
JPG

Dax Doomslayer
May 13th, 2023, 19:48
Thanks Moon Wizard. It looks like it's exporting the images etc. as best I can tell. I've tried to attach but the zip file / mod file is too large an attachment for the forum. Is there another way to get this to you kind folks?

Trenloe
May 13th, 2023, 20:12
Thanks for that.

The size of the database has gone from over 2MB to 27KB - so that's the issue.

With FG not running:
1) Make a complete copy of this whole directory as a backup.
2) Delete db.xml
3) Make a copy of db.session.20230512.xml (keep a copy of this file as this is your full campaign database) and then rename the copy to db.xml

Then start up FGU and open up your campaign. If there's still no data, collect the logfiles and post them here. Details on compiling the log files can be found here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1242136781/How+to+Compile+Logs

Dax Doomslayer
May 13th, 2023, 20:56
Thanks Trenloe. Still no love on this. I even tried to directly copy the db.xml from FGC into FGU and for some reason, the story entries I created aren't showing. There doesn't appear to be an errors in the logs either...

One thing I do want to mention, when I created a module, I'm able to see and open it in FGC. I can't see it in FGU even though it's in the folder. That is the same with another module that was created for this adventure...

Trenloe
May 13th, 2023, 21:02
Yeah, nothing in the logs.

Please post the db.session.20230512.xml file here so we can see why it's losing the data.

Dax Doomslayer
May 13th, 2023, 21:14
OK - here you go...Also, I just want to thank you for your time on this. It is really appreciated.

Trenloe
May 13th, 2023, 21:22
Try the attached edited XML file, there was a single XML error (the colon in the XML tag):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57345

Dax Doomslayer
May 13th, 2023, 22:39
Thanks Trenloe. So I downloaded the db.session document above and then renamed it to db.xml and dropped it into the campaign folder. Unfortunately, still 'no love'. Nothing is showing. I've attached a print screen of what should be seen if you click on the 'Story' header with this open. The first entry should be "((Main Story Line))". You'll see dual entries because I also tried to see if the module I created from this worked (which it does in FGC but not in FGU). Thanks again for your time on this and sorry that it's being a problem child. 57347

Trenloe
May 13th, 2023, 22:45
Thanks Trenloe. So I downloaded the db.session document above and then renamed it to db.xml and dropped it into the campaign folder. Unfortunately, still 'no love'. Nothing is showing. I've attached a print screen of what should be seen if you click on the 'Story' header with this open. The first entry should be "((Main Story Line))". You'll see dual entries because I also tried to see if the module I created from this worked (which it does in FGC but not in FGU). Thanks again for your time on this and sorry that it's being a problem child. 57347
That's what I see when loading that fixed XML file into a test campaign - i.e. I see the data and can open story entries.

Are you copying the db.xml file into the campaign directory while FG isn't running?
Are you 100% sure you're using the file I attached above?

Dax Doomslayer
May 13th, 2023, 23:06
OK - I'm really stupid. It does work! Wahoo!! When I changed the name initially, it became db.xml.xml and that's why it didn't work. I updated that and voila. I really do appreciate your patience and help with this. I'm a happy camper now. Thanks again!

Trenloe
May 13th, 2023, 23:12
OK - I'm really stupid. It does work! Wahoo!! When I changed the name initially, it became db.xml.xml and that's why it didn't work. I updated that and voila. I really do appreciate your patience and help with this. I'm a happy camper now. Thanks again!
That’s great! Happy to help. :)