PDA

View Full Version : Sharing maps

jikito
January 18th, 2008, 17:20
I have reworked and reworked my maps, down to jpg and under 200k, but they seem to load unimaginably slow wether i preload or share sheet...

I am using the savage worlds 2 addon...

is there a way to have the players put the files in a preset directory or something before they log in for faster loading?

Astinus
January 18th, 2008, 18:26
You can use modules to solve your problem. I DM on dial up, so slow map loading was a huge issue for me. All the necessary steps have been added to the FAQ, and you can read the post here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=51689&postcount=1).

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

jikito
January 18th, 2008, 18:35
ok i am sort of a dummy here on one part... but how exactly do you make a client moduale?

Griogre
January 18th, 2008, 19:27
Hmm. I think I better start with the word "module" for you. In FG2 it has two broad meanings - and adventure module (like the pathfinder series) and a ruleset module like the d20 spellbook, monster list and magic items.

What Astinus is suggesting is an imaginative use of an adventure module. I explained all this because when people refer to a client module they often mean a ruleset/rulebook type module and if you do any searches on client module you are going to mostly see posts talking about ruleset/rulebook modules.

Making an adventure module is easy because modules can be made from any campaign. In fact in a pathfinder campaign, all the adventures really should be in different module for each chapter with only the characters in the main campaign. This would allow you add any pathfinder module when you needed it and then unselected it when you don't need it which greatly reduces clutter in your campaign.

To actually make an adventure module just load the campaign you are making the module from. Then in the chat window type: /export - this should cause the export pop up to appear. Its got a bunch of fields at the top: Name is what shows up in the module list, file name is the actual exported module name, Author is what shows up under the module name in the module list, index not used for adventure modules, Merge ID which you can leave blank (if you do find this useful you can re-export with a name like the adventure path name), and Thumbnail which is the relative path from the FG data app to a graphic that will identify the module. You should fill in as a minimum the Name and File Name on the top pane.

In the middle pane are 4 lines: Story, Images & Maps, Personalities, Items. When you normally make a DM adventure module you just click on the o's next to the text for all 4 lines to select everything. If you look at the right side of the center pane after you select each line you will see four bubbles on each line with the "H" bubble already selected by default. If I were you I would just leave those all selected for you first module. If you look at the bottom pane you will see it labeled exported tokens. You drag and drop any tokens you want included in the module there. Once you are finished, right click on the center pane and select export. The pop up should go away and you should see a message in the chat box saying the module exported successfully.

That is how you make a normal module. What Astinus is suggesting is you now make another module that you can e-mail to your players. You should still be in the same campaign so just type /export again in the chatbox to pop the module popup. In the Name use the same name and add player map on the end. Do the same for the file name. This time in the center pane only check Images and Maps and instead leaving the "H" button checked click the bubble under "C". The right click and select export. You have just made a map pack.

jikito
January 18th, 2008, 19:46
thanks grigore... this girl honestly wouldnt survive here without you... you have helped immensly.

and thanks to astinus as well

jikito
January 18th, 2008, 19:50
One last question *blush* were does the moduale export to?

jikito
January 18th, 2008, 19:52
NM found it *blushes twice over*

Griogre
January 18th, 2008, 19:59
The modules export to the modules folder (of course ;) ). To find the folder easily, press the start button, select all programs, then Fantasy Grounds 2. You should see a listing called Data Applications Folder. Click that. This will pop up the Fantasy Grounds Data App window and you will see the modules folder amoung the rest. This is the same place find the folders where you add tokens and character portraits.

IamGrays
August 20th, 2008, 23:24
I haven't got a PC with FG2 Lite installed on it. So if I want to do this where do the players put the module once you've sent it to them? Do they have a 'Fantasy Grounds II\modules' directory under 'Application Data' as well?

Xorn
August 21st, 2008, 00:56
I haven't got a PC with FG2 Lite installed on it. So if I want to do this where do the players put the module once you've sent it to them? Do they have a 'Fantasy Grounds II\modules' directory under 'Application Data' as well?

Yes, they have it too. In the start menu program group, there is also a shortcut to the FG2 App Data folder, also. Handy if you have someone that you aren't comfortable talking through the directory structure. :)