PDA

View Full Version : Please give us a full FGU 5e effect guide

Syldar
May 8th, 2023, 03:22
Hello. The 5e Effects guide is so incomplete that I can't use many effects to use fantasy ground efficiently. Could you give us the full list of parameters and syntax of effects? That would be really helpful.
Because this is so an incomplete guide: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

For example, after reading the 5e Effects guide, I still can’t have a PC increase its strength (he his a weretiger in hybrid form). I speak here of both the stat and the bonus to saves, damages… This is very frustrating for an effect that should be simple to use. I tried everything I read in forums and nothing worked, the stats remained the same both on the PC sheet and the combat tracker.

And this problem occur to me most of the time I want to create effects. I don’t have the full list and the syntax, so I have to try many things and hope for the best. As a software maker, you should provide us with it in full, so please consider taking time to do a real job on this guide.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind help.

Nicolas

LordEntrails
May 8th, 2023, 04:14
You can not create an effect for every ability, spell, condition, etc. For instance, there is no effect in 5E to increase an ability score to a set value. You can only increase it by a given number of points (i.e STR: 3).

(Edit: note that an effect does not increase the ability score shown on the character sheet, but it does effect actions that use it. Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Effects extension does have effects reflected back on the character sheet if that is important to you.)

I agree that it would be nice if the wiki had more of what is possible, and even some examples of things that can not be controlled via effects. I also know that the wiki is currently undergoing major improvements. Hopefully this is one of the areas they will improve upon.

Until the wiki is updated, you can get a lot more effects for specific class abilities by look at the "Complete" class guides found here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information&p=432115&viewfull=1#post432115

Syldar
May 8th, 2023, 06:19
Thanks ! This is also helpful. But Smiteworks should provide us with a full catalog of effects and syntax, with all examples. We pay for licences, especially some people are paying with subscriptions, so they have no excuses.

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2023, 08:40
Thanks ! This is also helpful. But Smiteworks should provide us with a full catalog of effects and syntax, with all examples. We pay for licences, especially some people are paying with subscriptions, so they have no excuses.

The Wiki article that you linked to is completely up to date (it was revised only last week) and includes all of the effect keywords and all of the syntax necessary to enable you to create. There are several examples of effects for various class and race traits as well as magic items. So I'm not really sure what else that could be included. You may find these videos helpful https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?74212-Updating-5e-effects-videos&p=654177#post654177

Trenloe
May 8th, 2023, 10:40
For example, after reading the 5e Effects guide, I still can’t have a PC increase its strength (he his a weretiger in hybrid form). I speak here of both the stat and the bonus to saves, damages…
As has been mentioned by others in this thread, the Wiki effects page is up to date.

I think the disconnect here is your expectation that effects change the base state you see in the PC sheet. They don't change the base stat, they apply to an FG action. See the first section "What is an Effect" in the Wiki page you linked.

In this example (increasing strength) you use the STR effect. So, if the character strength was increased by 4, use an effect of STR: 4 applied to the character in the Combat Tracker. As has been noted, this doesn't change anything on the character sheet (this is by design). But, when any FG roll is made where STR is involved, FG will add all effects that apply - and will show [EFFECTS XX] in the chat window result, where XX is the total effect modifier for the roll.

For example, a character with STR: 4 applied to them, and a few strength based rolls:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57295

SilentRuin
May 8th, 2023, 15:59

Smiteworks has limited resources to do a lot of things. Temper your expectations with reality of what is and what can be provided by a small company.

By the way people who pay subscriptions and plan to use this for more than a year are paying more. Since all of my campaigns take about two years to finish out - the only purpose for a subscription would be if you play a very short trial of it or plan to only play one short campaing.

LordEntrails
May 8th, 2023, 16:23
What I believe Syldar is asking for on the wiki page is not a list of all the variations of effects syntax, but rather a list of all class, race, etc abilities with the effect syntax. So rather than the handful of examples provided in the wiki, a list of all the traits. A lot like the Rob2E or Grimm Press effects modules that they sell. i.e.
5E Automatic Effects - Player’s Handbook (Fantasy Grounds) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild (dmsguild.com) (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352162/5E-Automatic-Effects--Players-Handbook-Fantasy-Grounds?filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_1000030_0)
Fantasy Grounds 5E Effects Coding - Class Features - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild (dmsguild.com) (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/210436/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Effects-Coding--Class-Features?filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_1000030_0)
(Note, those are just 2 examples of the effects modules they sell.)

Any of us could create the type of list that is being mentioned, but every time a new book etc would be published, it would be out of date. Plus as the devs add new functionality to effects, it would also become out of date.

Syldar, keep in mind, any time the devs spend working on this type of documentation is time they can not spend on feature enhancements, like LOS, sound, dice skins, etc. In general, they try to provide enough documentation that we (the community) can do things for ourselves (i.e. figure out how to create an effect) and then spend their time on things we (the community) can't do, like core feature improvements etc. It's always debatable what the best place for them to spend their time is, because all of us customers have different priorities. One way you can help them prioritize what they work on is by voting on and adding requests to the wish list; Idea Informer » Feedback 2.0 (https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/)